Severstal North America
www.severstalna.com Dearborn, MI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Severstal North America Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Severstal North America – Dearborn – “Blast furnace at night”

Saikat Dey

Severstal North America is developing into a first class steel producer as it recruits qualified, talented people.

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Dearborn, MI

ProsSeverstal North America in both Columbus, Mississippi and Dearborn, Michigan is recruiting strategy-oriented top management and a talented workforce to operate its billion dollar investment in state-of-the-art equipment.

ConsSeverstal North America has growing pains in estsblishing a culture of producing the highest quality products, as promised to the customer, at a reasonable price and lowest cost. It may take some time to become the "best of the best."

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue driving towards becoming a premiere steel manufacturer.

Love my crew, hate upper management.

Dearborn, MI

ProsI work directly with some great people, we care about our jobs and productivity, since our incentive is tied to our pay. Direct supervision is acceptable. I work in maintenance.

ConsOur direct supervisors are ok. Everyone above them is arrogant and has little understanding of what it takes to keep equipment running and in good condition. They have no idea what jobs entail, what is needed, or how many people it takes to accomplish it quickly and safely. Always trying to do too much with too little, and being hypocritical about their own safety rules while trying to accomplish anything that hinders production. We've had more serious injuries since Severstal became the owner. They blame anyone but themselves, when the problems are a direct result of their poor management skills. Running equipment into the ground, then expecting miracles is not good preventative maintenance. They are losing tradespeople in droves. Department heads who should be fired are just transferred to other departments to mismanage those areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some respect for your workers. They know their jobs, listen to their concerns. Stop being so arrogant. To the CEO- take a harder look at what is going on at the Dearborn mill. You are losing maintenance people- find out why. Take a close look at your upper management. Find out who is effective and who isn't. Severstal could be so much better.

Very rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Pay and compensation for entry level

ConsGloomy work environment, dark and quite

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people, not very good systems

Transportation Intern (Former Employee)
    Dearborn, MI

ProsGreat people who are usually happy and willing to help out.

ConsSystems were dated and were rarely useful.

had enough, ready to leave

Prosthe pay is great over in Shafter court, as is the bonus system if you are part of that.

ConsDon't be fooled by the Russian name! This company is a major hive for the American Detroit boys club. I've never seen such team work (if only they could apply it to steel production!) Even some in the personnel department partake in the harassment. Male or female, if you don't stand with the boys club, you stand against it. They spent way too much time on hateful gossip. I've already seen one woman harnessed to the point of leaving, I am going soon and I know of two others who have changed groups in an attempt to hold onto employment. Honestly, it's not worth the money they are trying to pay you....

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement still seems powerless to change the culture. Glad you were able to turn a profit, sorry that you have been unable to get rid of the hostel work environment. Your fighting a losing battle and the Detroit boys club knows it. : (

Welcoming group of people, great opportunity

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsTreated with respect
    Great working enviornment
    Good pay
    People always willing to help
    Great learning opportunity

ConsSome negativity within the company

Review

Office Manager (Former Employee)
    Dearborn, MI

ProsFast paced, challenging work environment. Great people to work with.

ConsEver changing management, no leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the job not the perks

Nice people, no good technology/systems

Intern (Former Employee)
    Dearborn, MI

ProsManagers are nice and can help you learn about your field

ConsLack of systems, many projects are busy work and not too much work goin on

The work is exciting but the environment is depressing and tedious

Process Control Engineer (Current Employee)
    Dearborn, MI

Pros401k employer contributions are comparable/competitive.
    Lots of smart people around so that means amazing place source of knowledge and information. There are enough people that care about the work that they do so we still have quality products.

ConsAttitudes are very toxic, due to years of "punishment" working at company where management and upper management never communicate real issues with owner in order to solve real problems. In short there is major disconnect up the food chain after issues are taken to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the consider the people that work for you when making decisions. Put yourselves in our shoes, literally come out for one week and get involved in the process so that you can see what the employees deal with everyday.Learn more about what the people in each department does by actually being there next to them.

Started out great but now it just seems to keep getting worse and worse.

Skilled Trades (Current Employee)
    Dearborn, MI

ProsPay, Benefits. That's about it....

ConsIncompetent supervision. Some supervision who helped in running Rouge Steel into bankruptcy got to keep their job to try to run this one in the ground as well.
    Atmosphere. Company likes to think that supervision work hand in hand with hourly but its worse then its ever been.
    Health. Too many people have health issues as they get older. Its a very dirty environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the company from the bottom up. Too many times does supervision outsource jobs that can be done for a fraction of the cost. We have thrown 100's of 1000's of dollars in the drain because supervision would rather outsource a job then do it in house.... Even after its been reported it still seems like no one cares about this.

Worked for Severstal North America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Severstal North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Severstal North America CEO Saikat Dey. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Severstal North America employees.