Severstal North America Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
35 reviews filtered by

1. Love my crew, hate upper management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work directly with some great people, we care about our jobs and productivity, since our incentive is tied to our pay. Direct supervision is acceptable. I work in maintenance.

Cons

Our direct supervisors are ok. Everyone above them is arrogant and has little understanding of what it takes to keep equipment running and in good condition. They have no idea what jobs entail, what is needed, or how many people it takes to accomplish it quickly and safely. Always trying to do too much with too little, and being hypocritical about their own safety rules while trying to accomplish anything that hinders production. We've had more serious injuries since Severstal became the owner. They blame anyone but themselves, when the problems are a direct result of their poor management skills. Running equipment into the ground, then expecting miracles is not good preventative maintenance. They are losing tradespeople in droves. Department heads who should be fired are just transferred to other departments to mismanage those areas.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for your workers. They know their jobs, listen to their concerns. Stop being so arrogant. To the CEO- take a harder look at what is going on at the Dearborn mill. You are losing maintenance people- find out why. Take a close look at your upper management. Find out who is effective and who isn't. Severstal could be so much better.

2. Severstal North America is developing into a first class steel producer as it recruits qualified, talented people.

Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Severstal North America in both Columbus, Mississippi and Dearborn, Michigan is recruiting strategy-oriented top management and a talented workforce to operate its billion dollar investment in state-of-the-art equipment.

Cons

Severstal North America has growing pains in estsblishing a culture of producing the highest quality products, as promised to the customer, at a reasonable price and lowest cost. It may take some time to become the "best of the best."

Advice to Management

Continue driving towards becoming a premiere steel manufacturer.

3. Very rewarding

I worked at Severstal North America

Pros

Good Pay and compensation for entry level

Cons

Gloomy work environment, dark and quite

5. Good people, not very good systems

Former Intern - Transportation Intern in Dearborn, MI
    Former Intern - Transportation Intern in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Severstal North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people who are usually happy and willing to help out.

Cons

Systems were dated and were rarely useful.

6. had enough, ready to leave

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the pay is great over in Shafter court, as is the bonus system if you are part of that.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the Russian name! This company is a major hive for the American Detroit boys club. I've never seen such team work (if only they could apply it to steel production!) Even some in the personnel department partake in the harassment. Male or female, if you don't stand with the boys club, you stand against it. They spent way too much time on hateful gossip. I've already seen one woman harnessed to the point of leaving, I am going soon and I know of two others who have changed groups in an attempt to hold onto employment. Honestly, it's not worth the money they are trying to pay you....

Advice to Management

Management still seems powerless to change the culture. Glad you were able to turn a profit, sorry that you have been unable to get rid of the hostel work environment. Your fighting a losing battle and the Detroit boys club knows it. : (

7. Welcoming group of people, great opportunity

I worked at Severstal North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Treated with respect
    Great working enviornment
    Good pay
    People always willing to help
    Great learning opportunity

Cons

Some negativity within the company

8. Review

Former Employee - Office Manager in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Severstal North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, challenging work environment. Great people to work with.

Cons

Ever changing management, no leadership

Advice to Management

Concentrate on the job not the perks

9. Nice people, no good technology/systems

I worked at Severstal North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Managers are nice and can help you learn about your field

Cons

Lack of systems, many projects are busy work and not too much work goin on

Started out great but now it just seems to keep getting worse and worse.

Current Employee - Skilled Trades in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Skilled Trades in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits. That's about it....

Cons

Incompetent supervision. Some supervision who helped in running Rouge Steel into bankruptcy got to keep their job to try to run this one in the ground as well.
    Atmosphere. Company likes to think that supervision work hand in hand with hourly but its worse then its ever been.
    Health. Too many people have health issues as they get older. Its a very dirty environment.

Advice to Management

Look at the company from the bottom up. Too many times does supervision outsource jobs that can be done for a fraction of the cost. We have thrown 100's of 1000's of dollars in the drain because supervision would rather outsource a job then do it in house.... Even after its been reported it still seems like no one cares about this.

The work is exciting but the environment is depressing and tedious

Current Employee - Process Control Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Process Control Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Severstal North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k employer contributions are comparable/competitive.
    Lots of smart people around so that means amazing place source of knowledge and information. There are enough people that care about the work that they do so we still have quality products.

Cons

Attitudes are very toxic, due to years of "punishment" working at company where management and upper management never communicate real issues with owner in order to solve real problems. In short there is major disconnect up the food chain after issues are taken to management.

Advice to Management

Take the consider the people that work for you when making decisions. Put yourselves in our shoes, literally come out for one week and get involved in the process so that you can see what the employees deal with everyday.Learn more about what the people in each department does by actually being there next to them.

Severstal North America Photos