Sewell Automotive

J. Carl Sewell Jr.

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive environment, salespeople get a demo, great company to work for

Cons

Pay plan is outdated, needs to grow slowly enough to maintain culture

Don't grow too fast.

ECH

Former Employee - Car Wash
    Former Employee - Car Wash

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced on fast days, slow on slow days.

Cons

Management sometimes has their heads up their @55es but it's fine 95% of the time.

Listen to your employees, not just the ones that kiss @55 all day.

Managers, if your not in a click, your not in!

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Sewell Automotive

Pros

Great Pay, some good employees

Cons

Culture is promoted heavily however its all propaganda. Its the do as I say and not as I do mentality. Be aware, its not your performance that gets you noticed, its who you can throw someone under a buss and come out looking clean. Repairs on used cars are not quality and the cheaper the better.

Re-Read the Carl Sewell book and live by what you promote.......

Investment in you

Current Employee - Current Employee
    Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company truly cares about their associates well being and future.

Cons

You must work hard, put in the hours and have tough skin to make a good career in this business.

Keep investing in your people's development, they are key to your future.

Great conservative company with poor benefits

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great job to experience professionalism and gain sales/customer service experience. Good values: puts the customer first. Will teach you good sales and customer service experience.

Cons

I would consider this company a stepping stone to another career unless your career goal is to be in auto sales. Advancement is very politically motivated and Sewell will outside hirer before consider promoting from within, in most cases. Only company I have heard of with sales "assistants" which implies training to advance them to sales associate once they prove they are ready. This is usually untrue, they will work them on unlivable wages as long as possible. Unless you are in school or have no college degree, do not apply for this kind of position. Be prepared to stay in the position they first hire you for your whole career (long or short). Very motivated to outside hire rather than within.

Work on advancing careers from within the company, not outside hires. Re-evalutate a lot of the management, many do not belong their in the position.

Great company for some

Current Employee - Inventory Management Specialist in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Management Specialist in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Flexible schedules
    - Freedom to work without constant pressure from management
    - Good team attitude

Cons

- Narrow mobility
    - Serious communication issues
    - Passing the buck
    - Lack of accountability - many problems seem to fall to the wayside only to rise again

Remind employees that they are valuable and the work they do is appreciated. Try to utilize their talents and abilities to the fullest.

Great job out of college.

Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Service Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office Culture is outstanding. Hiring process is on point. Sewell hires the best and brightest. Excellent pay for 1st job out of college. Training is great, continuing education. If you are in it for the long haul its a great opportunity.

Cons

Work-life balance...you spend a lot of time at work. Its a tough industry to be in. You cant have thin skin. Customers can be overly demanding and get you on the smallest things which in turns effects your income. Home office only sees numbers at the end of the day. You can be on point and be putting in 110% but at the end of the day customers have to fill out a survey and give you a perfect score to be acceptable to home office. In many peoples eyes, perfection does not exist, always room for improvement. I agree with the improvement factor, however, when it effects your income it can be frustrating when you do your best and perform at a high level only to have the customer give a negative review because they are having a bad day or disapprove of the product.

Constant innovation! Keep giving tools for the staff to succeed. Roll up your sleeves and get dirty!

Politics, long hours, favoritism

I have been working at Sewell Automotive

Pros

Income potential
    Demo program and gas allowance

Cons

Politics and favorites: be one of the managers boys or a good looking young female to get paid well and or move up.
    Long hours: kiss the family and life good bye
    Crowded lots: no room to do anything on the lots
    Poor inventory systems: from looking up cars to finding them it is a joke.
    WAY TOO MANY SALES PEOPLE: Flooding the sales floor has no positives.

Treat your employees like your customers. Quit the poltics this isn't D.C. Have a fair bone deal rotation instead of feeding the favorite sales people it lowers morale. Hire more managers instead of sales people. Have a better inventory system and more porters. Management is slowly turning Sewell in to the typical car dealership.

The Carrot and Stick Approach

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Money can be good (when the floor isn't over crowded); coworkers are good high quality people; the company has a 100 year reputation bringing instant credibility, and the demo program is a great bonus (car, insurance, and fuel provided)

Cons

Hours are TERRIBLE; I currently work at a Sewell Location in sales and I work approximately 65-75 hours per week depending on how close to the end of the month you are.

Many of those hours are spent siting around (after you've followed up with all of your warm leads, made appointment with your hot leads, and cold called or emailed the cold leads) and waiting for something to happen. If you're the type of person that would rather come in, work hard and get your stuff done then leave, this is NOT the job for you.

Managers (senior, upper-level, and mid-level alike) tend to focus on petty metrics that don't necessarily paint the entire picture. And they really enjoy negative reinforcement for these. For example, tracking the number of phone calls you make/receive from your desk and the duration of those calls daily. Many of my customers prefer email or text, they are busy too! And I always give people my cell phone because in this job you aren't always at your desk.

The demo program may seem great at the surface but they use that demo vehicle of yours as a carrot. They hold it over your head if you have a bad month, they loan it out to people that are not your customers at which time you have to sift through trade in's that are a) not in process b)not scheduled to go to a technician at 7am and c) has gas and no low tires or any check engine lights

They promise college grads out of the gate $60k annual salary guaranteed for the first year. Then after that it can be difficult to make much higher while working many many more hours. Even with repeat and referral business.

Stop the negative reinforcement or at least balance it out with some positive reinforcement. Don't turn the other cheek when a top sales performer consistently and with no hesitation breaks the rules or flat out ignores them.

Pay your good people to keep them. We've lost a lot of good people (not just in sales) due to managers greed and wanting to maintain or lower the bottom line so badly that they would rather let a quality hardworking caring person go then pay the a small raise.

Try to keep in mind why we all come in everyday, to earn EARN a customers business. This is not the same process with each person. You won't find my progress with most of my customers in the number of phone calls I make or get in a day. why don't you take a look at the call log on my cell phone, or the text messages between customers, or the countless emails? Or better yet just focus on sales units and CSI!

Great Conservative & Traditional Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- continuing education is required, and they will pay for your conference/travel/schooling that helps further your career
    - they really care about their employees
    - business is on the UP
    - great people, with a few exceptions
    - 401K match

Cons

- not great medical benefits packages
    - no vacation for the first year, 5 days for year 2, 10 days for year 3, 15 days after year 15!
    - very conservative with policies

Work on cleaning up some of the staff that does not fit the company values. Shift to a more appealing PTO structure, allowing for partial days off and more PTO from the beginning.

Sewell Automotive Photos