Sewell Automotive

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

J. Carl Sewell Jr.

If you really want to work in the auto industry, Sewell is the place.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsReally good people, and much more professional than other dealerships. Good training, good benefits, smart people. Made some good friends while working there.

ConsIt's retail. The hours are long and you lose your weekends. If the pay was really good, then it would be worth it, but they have WAY too many salespeople at Lexus to make a decent living (over 30 salespeople in new car and over 30 in used cars). They could get by with half that many, and then everyone would make good money. They love hiring young kids out of college, because to them making $70,000 seems great. Get ready to work 6 days a week, and 10-12 hours per day. Management frowns upon taking your scheduled day off. It's supposed to be a luxury experience for the customers, but management crams two salespeople in every office cubicle. You are literally tripping over each other, and if you have a customer, your office mate has to vacate the office for sometimes an hour or more losing all productivity during that time. There are so few customers coming in, that salespeople bunch up at the front door and almost pounce on the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSewell is starting to slip towards being like other car dealership organizations. I've had more than one customer tell me that.

OK in a pinch

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsLong hours, Little time off. Stop overstaffing the floor. It looks bad to the customers. It becomes to aggressive of an environment.

ConsOverstaffed sales floor. Stop overstaffing the floor. It looks bad to the customers. It becomes to aggressive of an environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop overstaffing the floor. It looks bad to the customers. It becomes to aggressive of an environment.

Best dealership to work for in town.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat people, earning potential, training.

ConsRetail hours, full commission, and career path.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working here was the worst mistake of my professional life

Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMany nice co-workers
    Starting guarantee is higher than average (however, this is for a reason)

ConsI worked as an "ASM" aka Assistant Service Manager or "Service Advisor" at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. At first, this seemed like an awesome job and opportunity due to the Sewell name and reputation. However, I quickly realized that the perception customers have & the reality of actually being an employee there is vastly different.

The atmosphere at Sewell Lexus is a post-college clique. There is a lot of favoritism depending on the clique you're in and whether management likes you. This makes it easy for some advisors to get extra "gravy" customers, while others are left trying to fend for decent tickets to write up to make any money.

You get to work at 7 AM every day & leave at 6 PM. This is an extremely long day on your feet. The starting pay they use to lure college grads seems high (60K in service at Lexus), but if you divide the pay by the # of hours you're actually working, you're not coming out much further ahead.

You work every other Saturday in service, so it's hard to make weekend plans with friends or family who have a more traditional work schedule. On Saturday you have to stay there the entire time with no lunch break for 10 hours.

Your first year you get 0 paid vacation days, that's right, 0. After you've been there 1 year, you get 5 paid vacation days, but that's it. You don't get 10 days until you've been there over 5 years.

The insurance coverage is way more expensive than other corporate jobs. They didn't cover nearly as much on my prescription as my new job and the monthly employee contribution at Sewell was almost triple what I pay at my new job. Again, this impacts how much of that big 60K pay check you take home.

The 401k matching is only 25% and it's tiered based on number of years of service. Many companies today offer 50% matching, so that's another area they are falling short.

Due to extreme weather in Texas, it can be challenging being on the service drive which is partially outdoors in extreme wind, cold, rain, heat, etc. They let you wear polos during the summer, but the rest of the time you are out on the hot asphalt in a button down shirt & tie.

You are also doing many low-level tasks such as handing out car wash packets and pagers, having technicians check air pressure on tires, writing up "luxury car washes" and moving cars up when the service drive gets busy. ... I didn't graduate from college to be a valet, sorry.

Once you're off the guarantee that only lasts for a year, you are 100% commission. That's great for Sewell, but not good for you. That means you will have days where you are doing other people's work and not get paid for it. That's just how it is.

Many of the girls seemed to get promoted to Finance (the most cushy job at the dealerships) not due to merit, but solely based on appearance or who they were friends with. Sewell seems to know people can only stand to work in service for so long & will try and "move" you to another job or give you a job at corporate, but the stints at corporate never last long, it's just a way to keep you with the company. Many people who went to "corporate" end up right back in their old jobs at the dealership.

I hope people will really consider these points that are the honest truth about their practices and not believe all the hype they try and sell. I don't want others to make the same mistake I made.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee concerns & take steps to address them
    Stop the promotions based on favoritism and Sewell connections

DON’T BUILD A CARRIER AT SEWELL UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE CLICK

Intern (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsRespectable Pay and rigorous Training, some really good people. ( some not so good ). High line vehicles and customers.

ConsYou will not see your family, you will be talked about poorly by management, and they will work you over and beyond what a human can endure.

Unless you know someone high up, the odds you will last are slim. For those employees that underperform and are a drag on everyone else are allowed to succeed and grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe values you so publicly preach, start living up to it.. Carl Sewell, IF HE WAS AWARE, would not stand for it.

Don't work for Sewell

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThey recognize talents and will find creative ways to use that in the business for you and the store. It is more corporate versus working at a Kia or Nissan store, lends itself to a more professional environment. They like to reward their employees for their hard work, the company functions are always impressive and they spare no expense to show that they appreciate everyone there.

ConsI came from the Lexus store in Dallas, you don't make good money. The competition is Park Place and Sewell and Park Place undercut each other so much by the end of the sale you've worked for peanuts. Selling is harder because there are a minimum of 35 sales people so you can certainly end the month with a lousy paycheck. Research the brand and it's competition if you REALLY want to make money. Collegiate nepotism, it doesn't matter if you come from somewhere else and have a stellar reputation and known for your hard work if you did not come from one of the colleges that the managers went to you will not be treated the same, this did not happen to me personally but I did experience seeing it happen to other people. While they certainly like to promote women there is little to indicate promoting minorities-which is surprising since minorities also buy Lexus but you don't see that fairly reflected in positions such as management or F&I. This may not mean much to people but it indicates an unfair balance within the infrastructure. Favoritism is a stronghold there as well-they openly cultivate and spoon feed those they like while only fulfilling their job duties and nothing more to others. Management is poorly reliable. One manager in particular is known for mood swings he's been reported to HR yet it appears he's never been PROPERLY addressed at how he treats emloyees and yells and screams, another is widely known for being inappropriate with women by several employees but nothing has been done. I would never work for Sewell again.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the things that are rotting at the core rather than lean toward long term relationships to overlook things that are clearly issues. Sewell is a strong name but it's losing quality people and leaving behind college grads that won't pledge their allegiance there for life anyway. Sewell is starting to be known for good service for customers but horrible service for its employees. Openly address reports to HR about management rather than sweep it under the rug. It's defeating to employees when nothing is done and leads to poor performance and eventual resignation.

Collin Sewell is the most caring and generous owner I have ever worked for

Parts Department (Former Employee) Odessa, TX

ProsIt is the greatest pace in America to work.Owner really cares about the employees and puts a lot back into the community.Sewell Ford has great health benefits.Lindsey and Sherrilyn really make you feel special and that
    you matter to them.You couldn't find a more caring place to work.

ConsHard to find a place to live.It never rains

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Decent job if you don't mind missing out on your kids growing up

Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSewell has an outstanding reputation in the community.

ConsThe work/life balance is non-existent here. Good luck working here with children and expecting to be there for the important events in their lives. Extremely long hours-basically work a 9 hour Saturday because you aren't able to leave for lunch. You end up working close to 55 hours per week when it is all said and done. You do have the ability to make decent money here but when you consider the pay to the hours worked, it doesn't average out to make it worthwhile. The commission based aspect of the job causes tensions to rise between employees. There is a lot of behind the scenes gossip that goes on and upper management doesn't take time to address these issues. There is little room for advancement. Some service advisors have been there for 10+ years without ever seeing a promotion.

Sales Associate (neither former or current)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people, relaxed interview. I had two a short face to face with a short assessment and a long face to face with dealership tour and even longer assessment.

ConsCrazy slow process and no calls back. I was persistent because I figure sales people should be. Glad they took so long because in the mean time a received an offer for a great position with no Saturday and no tie.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the ridiculous dress code. Really a tie in Houston Texas, cruel torture. On a hot car lot opening hot cars. You can put lip stick on a pig but it's....you know the rest. Oh yea and crappy name tags. That was really a deal breaker, no joke. Not to mention 60+ hour work week.

Great pay, company car gas insurance, but be prepared to never see your family again.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay for college grad, company car, gas and insurance. Great sales experience.

Cons401k matching suck, pto sucks, and work/ life balance is way out of whack. It is the nature of the business to work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great

Worked for Sewell Automotive? Contribute to the Community!