Sewell Automotive

Be The First To
Add Photos

J. Carl Sewell Jr.

Great People!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsTop notch people. If you are going to work in the auto industry, Sewell is the best place to do so.

ConsVery long hours, and management that frowns upon employees that take their scheduled day off.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire so many sales people! If you are going to require such long hours from your people, at least let them earn a great living. The sales floor is flooded with way too many salespeople.

Decent job if you don't mind missing out on your kids growing up

Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsSewell has an outstanding reputation in the community.

ConsThe work/life balance is non-existent here. Good luck working here with children and expecting to be there for the important events in their lives. Extremely long hours-basically work a 9 hour Saturday because you aren't able to leave for lunch. You end up working close to 55 hours per week when it is all said and done. You do have the ability to make decent money here but when you consider the pay to the hours worked, it doesn't average out to make it worthwhile. The commission based aspect of the job causes tensions to rise between employees. There is a lot of behind the scenes gossip that goes on and upper management doesn't take time to address these issues. There is little room for advancement. Some service advisors have been there for 10+ years without ever seeing a promotion.

Sales Associate (neither former or current)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sewell Automotive

ProsNice people, relaxed interview. I had two a short face to face with a short assessment and a long face to face with dealership tour and even longer assessment.

ConsCrazy slow process and no calls back. I was persistent because I figure sales people should be. Glad they took so long because in the mean time a received an offer for a great position with no Saturday and no tie.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the ridiculous dress code. Really a tie in Houston Texas, cruel torture. On a hot car lot opening hot cars. You can put lip stick on a pig but it's....you know the rest. Oh yea and crappy name tags. That was really a deal breaker, no joke. Not to mention 60+ hour work week.

Great pay, company car gas insurance, but be prepared to never see your family again.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay for college grad, company car, gas and insurance. Great sales experience.

Cons401k matching suck, pto sucks, and work/ life balance is way out of whack. It is the nature of the business to work long hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great

an incredible family to work for

Assistant Service Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than a year

Proscompany car, great pay, great opportunity for growth within the company

Conswork-life balance, saturday work schedule

Great company, not sustainable long term.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome people, great managers, pay is excellent.

ConsThe hours are terrible. You get guilted when you take your days off.

Good if your goal is to spend your life in automotive business

Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than a year

Pros- Perception of company among general public is positive
- Starting guarantee for new employees in many positions
- College educated employees in many positions
- Jobs don't really require specific skill, most are easy to learn on the job

Cons- Extremely long hours - work every other Saturday in Service and every Saturday in Sales
- Saturday you are not allowed to leave for lunch, meaning you work 9 + hours straight on your feet. They bring in a cheap lunch that most people end up having to eat at their "desk" or down in the shop with the technicians
- Work is extremely rote & monotonous - would get boring for most smart people after about 6 months
- Very limited vacation time, even after numerous years of service
- Benefits package is subpar compared to other industries with degreed employees
- Unreasonably demanding customers & cheap ghetto customers who expect something for free
- Commission pay in service creates an atmosphere of paranoia and animosity among employees - for example, greeting & assisting customers for other service advisors that you get no commission for helping, constantly helping the same service advisors' customers when that advisor mysteriously disappears multiple time a day
- Essentially a blue collar job on a service drive - you are doing the exact same job someone with a high school diploma does at the local Kia dealership, just because it's Sewell doesn't change that
- Along with the blue collar job comment, dealing with the technicians can be difficult since many have abrasive personalities
- Work is mind-numbing and intelligence doesn't get you ahead. Basically, if you can get on management's good side so they turn a blind eye that other advisors are having to do most of your work for you or cheat people out of greeting more cars, you're fine. If you are honest and try, you can get screwed over, but it's a physical job and isn't mentally hard, so you have to want to be in that environment
- Skills learned are not very marketable for positions outside the car industry
- Dealership practices are not reflective of what's described in "customers for life" book. For example, book talks about giving employees first-class facilities, clean restrooms, etc & the service advisors at my dealership had to use the technician's locker room/restroom, which was constantly dirty and disgusting. Facilities are outdated, especially compared to Park Place's new Lexus facility

I think many people are enticed out of college by the high starting guarantee, but once that guarantee ends, you have to ask yourself if you'll be happy working 55 hours or more per week with almost no vacation and if that's something you want to do for the rest of your life.

Many of my coworkers who had been with the company a long time said they felt they were now trapped in their positions because they weren't sure what other jobs they could get that paid the same amount.

Sometimes, it might be better to think long-term, and if you think you'd eventually want a job with a better work-life balance, maybe make the initial sacrifice to go to a lower paying position, because in the long-run, you will most likely come out ahead, especially in terms of benefits, vacation, etc.

A great learning experience that allowed me to push my self in a fast paced environment.

Sales Intern (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Sewell Automotive as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are great and are willing to help you out every step of the way. However, they are great about letting you go it alone if you are ready. Great pay for full time employees.

ConsLocated in only 3 cities. Not much opportunity to move around. Long hours.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sewell Automotive as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat people, great pay, great brands, offers 40 hours of educational classes per year, company has a great reputation

Consvacation time. no paid maternity leave, long hours, must work on most holidays (Christmas Eve - makes it hard to spend time with your family). work on Saturday

Advice to Senior Managementread the book Lean In and learn from that. If you are going to recruit young females you will eventually need to change your work/life balance for young working mothers, etc.
Don't work you salespeople into the ground. Give them some time away and do not make them feel guilty for not being at the dealership 24/7

Sale Associate

I have been working at Sewell Automotive full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay with hard work

Conslooong hours. no vacation. work Saturdays

Worked for Sewell Automotive? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sewell Automotive reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sewell Automotive CEO J. Carl Sewell Jr. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Sewell Automotive employees.