Sg2 Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014

2.7

Sg2 Chairman Michael Sachs
Michael Sachs

Good pay, good work, bad management

I worked at Sg2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved my work, the things I did every day, and the people I worked with in my department. I was happy with my compensation. Excellent benefits, including free lunches.

Cons

I disagreed with the fundamental values held by the CEO and top execs. I felt some decisions regarding client work and the treatment of employees were unethical and unfair. Some departments were treated better than others, some good people were fired (I'm not sure why) while others stayed.

Care about your team, and about your clients. Don't let the bottom line guide every decision. Don't let CEO's emotions set tone for the whole company.

Nice working environment; good place to cut your teeth

I worked at Sg2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food! They hold many events such as a happy hour recognizing birthdays, etc. They've had free massages and wine tasting events, just to name a few. There are plenty of events and perks here. There's also a free shuttle for those that take the CTA purple line to/from Chicago.

Cons

There isn't an outlined growth plan or even a structure in place for promotion or many differentiating compensatory rewards. For example, everyone receives the same amount of vacation, albeit that it's a good amount. So, if you've been there for 5 years or even 10 years, you have the same amount of vacation with someone that just started there day one. Also, if you are the stellar & most competent person in the team, there isn't anything different for you, even in comparison to any possible slackers. It feels as if the perks noted above is what should keep you happy. People need other motivating factors and rewards for their hard work, especially if they stand out.

All departments should create an outline and structure for growth and promotion. I saw some very good people leave because they were treated just like all the others. Otherwise, the perks and events do provide a means to improve morale, it allows us to get to know our peers or other people in other departments, and it promotes a fun atmosphere. Unfortunately, you've also fostered a culture where the best employees leave and you're left with the ones that don't seek self-improvement, are less competent, and are complacent. You could lose a good talent pool and be left with a pool of slackers.

Its Own Worst Enemy...

I have been working at Sg2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

-incredible exposure to the health care industry
    -very smart colleagues that bring a wide variety of industry experience
    -direct contact with hospital/health system executives even at a low level
    -fun and friendly environment; there are lasting friendships among colleagues outside of work
    -flexible work from home policy

Cons

Sg2 is full of hypocrisies:
    -we advise clients and pride ourselves on being a strategy consulting firm and yet there is no evidence of any strategic planning within the company.
    -there is little to no evidence of anyone analyzing internal data both from a client servicing stand point as well as a overall data QA stand point and yet Sg2 claims it is an analytics company.
    -we advise hospitals to break down the silos among service lines and yet Sg2 departments lack concrete and transparent communication structures. Additionally, there is a huge disconnect between management and non-management.
    -there is no process improvement process in place. Ironically, hospitals are good at this
    -instead of providing a few select quality products that are continuously improving through measured results, volume of products has been emphasized. Again, we tell hospitals to think of value rather than volume.

Hire an outside consulting agency to evaluate the company (because let's be honest, you aren't listening to your employees if the bi-annual surveys are any indication...). The company needs a shake up as individuals who have been loyal throughout the company history have been kept at executive/management level but don't necessarily have the skill set to take the company to the next phase. Additionally, there is a need for a concrete company direction and as a result a true evaluation of processes and cost in order to scale the business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lot of promise, but too many groups creates a bureaucratic process

I have been working at Sg2

Pros

Decent compensation
    Good benefits
    Chance to learn a lot

Cons

Extremely Bureaucratic
    No plan for career advancement
    Same title for those performing different job functions

People are most motivated by respect (not just by endless thank you emails but real respect) and the opportunity to advance in a fair, performance based set up. Try to setup your organization keeping that in mind.

They Care

I worked at Sg2 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Always seeking feedback and trying to improve
    Made a lot of changes in the last year that I was there
    Lots of growth opportunities
    Good benefits
    They recognize achievements and acknowledge employees for their hard work - lots of Champaign toasts on Fridays to celebrate milestones
    Free lunch and breakfast

Cons

For a long time they had some people in management that were making people miserable
    sometimes they really miss the mark even though they have good intentions
    too many company reorganizations
    didn't always feel like a stable place to work
    sometimes they put people in roles that they were not qualified for and there is a trickle effect that made things very difficult and frustrating

Disappointed...

I have been working at Sg2 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Founder, Michael Sachs,is a true healthcare visionary. Highly educated workforce. Good benefits for a company of its size.

Cons

CEO who changes his mind every 15 minutes, exhibits traits of a frat boy-unprofessional, and sends erratic messages on a regular basis to employees and clients. There is little to no strategic planning. Standard HR practices are not followed. CEO only wants "yes" people around him and has allowed Sales & Service to not perform. Good people are leaving or have left.

Bring in someone with true operations experience and invest in client services/sales. You are on the verge of bigger problems if people can't learn to act appropriate -this is at the top of the organization not the masses.

Great place to impact health care for over 1200 hospitals across the US

Current Employee - Current Employee  in  Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Sg2 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is the smartest group of colleagues I've ever worked with (and having done consulting nationally and worked at two of the AMCs here in Chicago previously that's saying a lot!). It is also the most energizing - the team here is willing to share their time, talent, ideas, and expertise with clients and internal teammates. We can go from discussing health care reform, to chemotherapy technology advancements to how CMS severity adjusts for readmissions tracking all during lunch.

Interesting and diversified projects are a given. Amazing clients and opportunities to work directly with them on today's challenges in health care. Every week I get to hear clients say "thanks, this really made a difference." Curious, self-starters who work well as a team and check their egos will succeed here.

Fantastic benefits including health, life and dental insurance; 401K with match; mobile, gym and transportation subsidies; generous PTO; social events including annual Sg2 Charity (give back to the community day), holiday parties, monthly happy hour and yes, breakfast and lunch every day.

Cons

We are a relatively small company so communication can be a challenge. Instituting weekly all-company meetings to hear directly from executives and showcase research, new analytics and consulting projects have certainly helped as have new organizational structure, expanded manager-level team members, Peer Council, and regular visits from the President to team meetings.

Given size training is more on the job but the new quarterly in-service days include classic training (time management, public speaking, project management, team building, training on Sg2 offerings and internal systems) as well as team meetings for more customized work sessions and training.

A new focus on regularly gathering market feedback and using this to guide and prioritize corporate direction and new projects is helping to minimize the sense of "sudden changes." We are still a relatively small, entrepreneurial company at heart with a lot of big ideas so deciding what not to do and staying focus is often our biggest challenge.

Continue focusing on what the market tells us to guide decisions and keep communicating those decisions across the company, consistently. Helping increasingly productive teams work well in concert will ensure Sg2 continues to meet goals and be an energizing place to work.

The most dysfunctional company I have ever worked for...

I worked at Sg2 full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary, free breakfast and lunch daily, ample vacation time, premium insurance benefits.

Cons

Inadequate opportunities for career advancement, lack of internal structures, poor management styles, insufficient recognition for hard work, absence of accountability for one's actions, policies not consistently enforced across the entire company, high turn over rate, CEO changes products and naming conventions at the drop of a dime.

Listen to your employees and their concerns. By taking your employees (Exec and Non-Exec) seriously, perhaps problems can be resolved quickly and talented people will stop seeing this company as a mere stepping stone to something vastly better.

Doing good things...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Sg2 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are passionate, smart and have deep conviction as we help change healthcare to make it more sustainable and more efficient while trying to keeping it the best in the world.

Cons

It's still tough to change the old habits of healthcare executives who have operated successfully in a volume based world for their entire careeers. This isn't easy work, but it's worth it when you see clients making fundamental change.

You've made significant changes...stay the course, becasue its working.

Serious problems at the top

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Sg2

Pros

Sg2 has attracted a very strong collection of talent and provides them with above average compensation. The benefits are very good and the company tries to demonstrate a caring attitude for its employees-- free breakfast and lunch are much appreciated.

Cons

While the company has attracted good people, it doesn't utilize the talent it has. Good people are hired but aren't placed into the roles they were hired to fill. The problems start at the very top... Michael Sachs (CEO) and Steve Lefar (President). Sachs constantly panics and too often changes the direction of the firm... a different flavor each quarter. It's very frustrating for all levels of the company and creates a lot of dissatisfied employees. A year ago Sachs brought in Lefar, but he's clearly a puppet. He has no professional presence, isn't presentable in front of customers and seldom comes out of his office to interact with anyone other than the executive team. He seems to be afraid to get down to the grass roots working class in the company. Very unimpressive and friends of mine who are at Allscripts say he was pushed out of there. This dynamic couple have only quickened the pace of Sg2's downward spiral. Their arrogance and lack of business smarts have become known well in the industry. Sg2 continues to create a poor working environment and the executive team has some good people but they are afraid to speak their minds for fear of getting on the wrong side of Sachs and Lefar. There continues to be good people leaving, even several VPs, and lots more are currently looking.

The executive team needs to tell the 2 leaders that the company will continue to struggle with little to no growth if it doesn't empower the workers. Lots of unhappy people and the numbers are growing. Young people are finding this to be a place to stay for a year and then move on. Granted, some of the executives will stay until the ship hits rock bottom but unless Sachs and Lefar step aside and let the real talent do their jobs, this company continues to slide downward.

Worked for Sg2? Contribute to the Community!