Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System

Updated August 19, 2014
2.4

Mike Kistler
1 Rating

Great Learning Opportunity. Rewarding work with kids.

Current Employee - MHT in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - MHT in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros to this job is that you get to learn firsthand what it is like to work with youth with depression or abusive histories. I learned that I really like working with the kids and helping them make better decisions. I have decided to go back to school and get my masters to work with kids.

Cons

The work is intense. The effort is worthwhile especially on the days when one of the kids thanks you for helping them... it makes it all worthwhile.

I worked mostly with my unit supervisor and nurse. I liked them both.

Not a happy place to work

Former Employee - MHT in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - MHT in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Met some very good people that won't stay long.

Cons

Upper Management is horrific. The CEO is unprofessional and dishonest. It's a completely unsafe environment. People that have worked there for a long time have bailed.

Find someone else to run the facility

New Management

I have been working at Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System

Pros

The environment is pleasant most of the time. It is fast paced and things are different every day. It is enjoyable to work with children that are in need of services and that are in need of help.

Cons

The pay is deplorable. There is manipulation and intimidation that comes from higher ups that is bad for morale and bad for patient care. People are taken advantage of and ran off.

Get a new CEO

Lots of boot licking going on...

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycheck was bi-weekly, Pay was good

Cons

Management will put people against each other by lying and spreading rumors about them. Upper level management really has no idea how to promote synergy among the employees. Employees never know if management is being truthful or not.

terminate MK and others in upper mgmt and start over

I love my job at Shadow Mountain. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the management at the facility.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Shadow Mountain Behavioral Health System full-time

Pros

The physician that I work with is competent,caring, and ethical.. I admire his compassion and knowledge so much that I have thus far been willing to overlook the low pay, poor management,low morale, and extremely high turnover rate. We work with some of the most mistreated and troubled children in my community. I feel that along with some exemplary therapists and mental health techs, we have been able to make a real difference all working together as a team.

Cons

The pay is quite low compared to other facilities in the area. Staff morale is the worst I have seen in in my career. The turnover rate is unbelievable. This includes many well respected middle and upper management positions. Many nursing positions are vacant for long periods of time due to the low pay and unrealistic expectations.

I would advise the people at the corporate level to take a closer look at what is happening at this facility. The amount of money they are spending training and hiring new employees has to be astronomical. It is common knowledge that unhappy employees are less productive and call in more frequently, which leads to more overtime and a higher likelihood that work will be of poor quality with higher incidence of errors, etc. This facility is owned by a large corporation that is in the Fortune 500. They know better. I have talked to employees that have worked at other facilities owned by UHS and they have reported much better conditions as well as higher pay.