Shaffer Trucking Reviews

1. This company has changed since the Shaffer Sunflower merger

Current Employee - Driver, Dispatcher, Fleet Manager in New Kingstown, PA
    Current Employee - Driver, Dispatcher, Fleet Manager in New Kingstown, PA

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking

Pros

Good equipment and good pay per mile.

Cons

policies are not so driver friendly

Better management in New Kingstown terminal

2. Happy to be here!

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver (National Fleet) in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver (National Fleet) in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good equipment, good reputation. I am new to trucking but from what I have seen in truck stops and diners is that a lot of old timers get restless and belly ache about every little thing. This is a good solid company and I am confident in my future with this company. Starting pay on average is .45cents a mile. What's there to complain about? Most folks in this biz don't earn because they want to waste the day because they would rather go grab a shower every two seconds or sit around and gripe in a diner with some stranger instead of turning the wheels and making pay. This job does require sacrifice and if you are a creature of comfort or a whiney crybaby stay home. You want to earn this is the place to do it.

Cons

Old timers tend to gripe and complain about every little change. (That seems to be truckers in general and not this company in particular) Training is two months long for persons who already graduated a designated school? This company is so picky with who they allow to join I don't understand why you need two months.

Screen your trainers better. It could be just my trainer but If you are to pay all this extra cash for a training program then you need to see if said person has the personality for training and not that they just look good on paper. Applebee's even does personality tests or intensive interviews? This is after all the means to produce your future assets. All that aside I love this company and am proud to be here.

3. OTR National Driver

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in New Kingstown, PA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in New Kingstown, PA

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking

Pros

It's a good company to start with and get experience.

Cons

No consistency to mileage. Estimated salaries are bogus unless you have a good asset manager that you constantly talk to. Weekend and overnight "dispatchers" are smart assed snarky college pukes. I am a National Driver but they keep screwing me with limited mileage northeast runs where you can't make money. They give you runs with not enough time to make on time delivery and don't understand why there slow truck won't make it there.

Send asset managers,planners, and dispatchers out on ride-a-longs like driver trainees so they understand what it's really like out there. Make Drivers think you care what's going on. Too many different departments you have to go through to get something done (or to get an answer). Too much. "Not my department" attitude

5. Deceiving

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a job, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck, you don't have to see your family but 3 days a month

Cons

They advertised that they have have little to no forced loads, they don't give you options, get stuck running short loads all the time and averaging 1200- 1500 miles a week because of short loads, asset manager doesn't care, after all its not his pay check that's effected, not a good honest company

Get your asset managers Kleenex and tear buckets for their cubicles because the are incapable of having a real conversation with out them crying about how hostile you are, most cdl drivers that hire in for OTR they expect OTR, if I wanted to drive 1200 to 1500 miles a week because of short loads and would drive for a local company and be home every night

6. Great for a few years, then it fell apart

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Marietta, GA

I worked at Shaffer Trucking full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

ABOVE AVERAGE EQUIPMENT (newer tractors and trailers)
    PROFIT SHARING (you can build up a decent retirement nest egg over the years
    NICE TERMINALS AND FACILITIES (most of them anyway)

Cons

HEAVY NORTHEAST FREIGHT LANES (for most drivers)
    SLOW TRUCKS (governed at 62 MPH)
    TRACTOR MAINTENANCE ISSUES (they don't maintain the tractors well, they just maintain them "well enough"- huge difference!)
    HOME TIME ISSUES (they don't want you taking more than 3 days off, and if they happen to get you home for a 10 hour break- then you've had your home time for a while as far as they are concerned)

Adopt a more flexible home time policy! I left Shaffer Trucking over disagreements with the maximum 3 day off home time policy. After staying out for 4 to 6 weeks, I wanted 5 or 6 days off- as you used to allow drivers to do back when I first hired on with Sunflower Carriers (a division of Crete Carrier that got merged into Shaffer Trucking)

Turn your trucks up to at least 65 MPH. The drivers need it, given many of the delivery schedules that they end up dealing with after loading and/or unloading takes hours longer than it should have.

7. hated it managaement sucked as

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good benefits for the most part

Cons

pay veried too much too much favoritism

cameras in offices

8. 75+ years in the biz

Current Employee - Shaffer Division Driver in Ottawa, IL
    Current Employee - Shaffer Division Driver in Ottawa, IL

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good equipment, solid customer base with Fortune 100 Firms, no touch freight, and there are shops that get you out fast with good repair, a brand new terminal in PA

Cons

the usual, as in most OTR, take the Bad with the Good usually will get you by,

Mum

9. Truck Driver

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Shaffer Trucking full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Driving the open road during day light hours

Cons

Changing shifts constantly from days to nights

10. Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Shaffer Trucking full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good miles. good equipment. good management.

Cons

some shops are slow on repairs.

do something with shops. unable to make any miles/money while truck is sitting in shop. long time even for small repairs.