Shake Shack

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.2

Randy Garutti

Great company to work for fun

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Shake Shack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, bonuses, great benefits, way to go with the admin people, further consideration needs to be taken among the company

Cons

no work-life balance, the company values are not met at all, further discussion needs to be made as soon as possible

None

Fun and (Kind of) Worth it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Shake Shack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company culture, fun environment, great perks such as getting to work really fun events, great pay and some (slight) opportunities for advancement, very organized.

Cons

Honestly, everything about this job is great... except the managers. They are horrible. When you are hired, they stress that they promote from within but almost every manager that was hired during the time that I worked there was hired from outside the company. The current employees basically have to train the new managers, although there are people in the company who are already qualified to be promoted. This company also seems to have some underlying sexism and racism issues. There are never more woman in management than men, and I have NEVER seen a person of color be promoted to manager or hired as a manager ever. My general manager also said a blackface joke on Martin Luther King day (how tasteful), however he was fired months later for sleeping with one of the other managers.

Stop talking about promoting from within if you only practice it on the corporate end, and please make sure that managers not only are capable but also morally sound.

Amazing opportunity for growth

I worked at Shake Shack full-time

Pros

This company is growing and the opportunities for growth are amazing

Cons

If you dont get along with management your job will not be to enjoyable

hire more experience based management. Penn state graduates are not always best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth it

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Shake Shack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, pay is overrated as you are work like a dog, known brand

Cons

Honestly, my short time with shakeshack was a whirlwind. As a recent college graduate with a hospitality degree, I WISH I had done more research before accepting this position. You go through a very intense management training, which If you are challenged enough, it could be for you. But once I was out of training, I was put in a new store, with no mentorship, and was almost thrown into a management position where you were managing so many team members by yourself with understaffed managers. It is not easy. The negative environment, and the lack of support is what drove me to leave. The company is expanding, which is a plus, but it is expanding with not enough people to support the expansion. There is no work life balance and this is truly for people that love this kind of environment and I'm sorry I say but not much of a personal life. When I put my two weeks notice in, my boss told me that I could just leave instead of fulfilling my two weeks and basically let me go. How unprofessional. This company needs to re evaluate their leadership programs and their training. Maybe it is better to promote from within instead of blindsiding people that do not know what they are getting themselves into. Not for everyone, and definitely not for those with a family, spouse, or anyone that you can make time for into your personal life. You need to change the way you hire, and realize you can only do so much for those underperforming, I know it's about giving that charitable assumption, but it's a business. It's not a school where we are supposed to be teachers ad let go of things and continuously babysit to hope they learn. You need to learn to let go of those that are lazy, underperforming, and are f**ing around at work.

You need to support your managers and team. You cannot just touch base with them and then just walk away. Either have a real training program or do not bother calling it that!

Don't do it

Current Employee - Line Cook  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Miami, FL

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get paid every Wednesday, your employee meal is 60% off, soda is free, the food is outstanding.

Cons

Upon hiring, you're not told there is no cleaning crew, you're not told that there will be extreme lifting and deep cleaning involved, don't expect to leave on time, there is no out time. You only get a 30 minute break, if you order food don't expect to have enough time to eat it. If you have back problems, don't do it. Some Team Leads are rude and should not have the title. This is the first establishment I've worked in where the food was pricy and tasted great yet the employees are treated like slaves.

Tell people you're hiring that there is no cleaning crew! That way you won't continue to have such a high turnover rate!

Horrible company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Shake Shack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co workers were nice and that is about it

Cons

Trained for one week at new shake shack in brooklyn was expected to know everything in one week.Trainers were mean and rude while training company promotes respect but it is not shown in trainers.Company put a lot of pressure on new workers to learn everything before opening day because they were delayed for months on opening.

Please get better trainers that know how to talk to people. You promote respect but it is not shown to new workers. Trainers need to be taught how to speak to people with respect and not to talk down to them just because they don't know something.

At first it was cool but now its the worst

Current Employee - Team Member  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Member in New York, NY

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will get to learn new things and meet new people. It helps develops you social skills.

Cons

Miscommunication everywhere. All managers are hypocrites. Team leander feel like they better then everyone. I have a manager who doesn't know ANYTHING IN THE KITCHEN. HE WILL LITERALLY MESS UP ORDERS DON'T TELL NO ONE AND WALK AWAY. They will fire anyone for something minor. They pay isn't worth the stress. I got pushed into the grill by the carelessness of another team member. you can say sorry but the huge burn on my arm isn't going to magically heal. If you care for you skin this is not something for you.

You guys need to get together and made some decision. cause you guys are firing the wrong people

Learn what you can, then leave ASAP!

Current Employee - Line Cook
    Current Employee - Line Cook

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time for less than a year

Pros

60% off lunch

Good pay for service industry

Good benefits

Cons

Managers have favorites and you can get called out for stuff that others would get wrist slaps.

Physically, mentally, and emotionally draining.

Management really doesn't know what it's doing at times.

Got nothing to add that others haven't stated already.

Not so great

I worked at Shake Shack

Pros

- 60% of meals when on break
    - paid vacations, holidays and sick days
    - Great benefits

Cons

They hire young people and exploit their life out of them. Overworking in this place is an understatement.

Consider diminishing on the amount of work you subject your employees to

Great place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shake Shack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair compensation. Great benefits bonus plans and vacation.

Cons

long hours. hard work. High turnover.

Help create better work/life balance. This is a hard job.

Worked for Shake Shack? Contribute to the Community!