Shaker Advertising

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
3.2

Joseph G. Shaker

A great place to work and great people to work with.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Shaker Advertising full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are always opportunities to learn, grow and expand your capabilities - if you want to. Over the years, we've gone from taking ads to truly consulting and aligning with our customers as trusted advisors. Our work in EVP and employer brand development has become a core offering of the agency, with creativity moving front and center. There are so many companies challenged to find the best talent and it will only continue to become more difficult. For Shaker, that spells opportunity.

Cons

Compensation can be somewhat of a challenge for the sales/service organization, but people who work hard and put the best interest of the clients first will succeed.

Hire people who aren't afraid to pickup the phone and pursue new business. People who can engage with customers at a higher level.

One of the best for its time...but then so was black and white TV and propeller aircraft

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Park, IL

I worked at Shaker Advertising

Pros

The family legacy is charitable.

Cons

The business knowledge is inbred. The more years that pass from the days of the founder, the weaker the "we are family" mantra became. If their business was a game of poker, the president would want to see everyone's card before making a bet.

The president should have read :"The Emperor's New Clothes". Then he would have known what his industry and employees thought of him. Sadly, the family management team became victims when they believed they were as talented as their father.

I enjoyed my time at Shaker

Former Employee - IT Manager in Oak Park, IL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Oak Park, IL

I worked at Shaker Advertising

Pros

Shaker is family owned so you don't get that corporate feeling. Many great people to work for and to work with.

Cons

The company was a bit behind on the industry trends at one point, but I believe they've made the necessary changes to be successful in the future.

Keep searching for ways to stay ahead of the competition. Continue to bring in the best people you can find.

Training, yes. Long term, no.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Shaker Advertising

Pros

Small company that makes for a good learning environment. Not too many complicated accounts so work day is fairly casual.

Cons

Pretty unheard of to get promoted unless you've been there for a few years, bonuses and raises are also rare. Economy hit pretty hard and a lot of changes were made. Not much is being done to modernize the company.

Possibly hire more staff, each team seems understaffed and employees seem dissatisfied. Better management training would be beneficial as well as better employee benefits and incentives. Need to hire a younger demographic to modernize the company.

Print Is King

I worked at Shaker Advertising

Pros

They were essentially the best newspaper classified rep firm in the country. They did it better than anyone else and ran their company like a well oiled machine.

Cons

Their industry is dead. It has been dying a slow and agonizing death over the past decade, but this recession has put the final shovel of dirt on this horse and buggy industry. It is not their fault. Newspaper classified jobs have simply moved to the Internet for 1/20th of the cost. Change is part of life. It's a shame though, at the peak of their revenue back in 1999-2001 their sales reps told them this was comming and instead of innovating and evolving like TMP did and create Monster.com they chose to back print...because after all, print was king!

The sales staff told Joe 8-9 years ago the Internet was going to alter their business forever and he didn't listen then. Take whats left of your family fortune and try something else.

Days are numbered

I worked at Shaker Advertising

Pros

None - it's a sinking ship. I don't think they are hiring but if they are many are being let go so I would definitely stay away. Used to be a great firm.

Cons

Everyone is being let go, dying industry, failed to move with the times, too tied to print advertising which is a declining revenue stream. Poor employee morale, company just removed its 401k match and contributions for the entire year breaking their end of the deal mid-year. Joe goes on rants and fires people at will because he can. Family managed company which inherently leads to struggles amongst the family.

You should have sold out years ago before the industry declined

shaker advertising is high tech company with regards making tv commercial.

Current Employee - Creative Director
    Current Employee - Creative Director

I have been working at Shaker Advertising full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good company , generous , well know in advertising firm....

Cons

intellect , submissive, contour , brave, competance

more avira to come

Good place to learn

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Shaker Advertising

Pros

- Family owned by passionate people
    - Great opportunity to learn the recruitment advertising and communications business from industry veterans who have seen and survived change

Cons

- Opportunity for career growth are limited
    - Compensation was not competitive - most people I talked to who left earned more, and sometimes significantly more elsewhere
    - Don't seem to be set up to retain their best people

Tough times are behind us

I have been working at Shaker Advertising

Pros

Management is working to make the company stronger, after a few years of low employee morale. New programs and incentives have been introduced and the company is getting back to its roots.

Cons

Work/life balance is an issue, but direct supervisors can be understanding. New business development is slow and there is no relevance to how new business is doled out.