Shakespeare Theatre Company

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Chris Jennings

1. Huge amount of experience and responsibilities, but not enough compensation or appreciation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met some of the most amazing people I have ever known here. Great people who are passionate about what they do. Lots of responsibilities are given. Getting free tickets to events are easily the best perk.

Cons

My compensation for the huge amount of work I was doing was ridiculously low. Also little room to advance unless the position above you leaves. Little support or appreciation was shown for the amount of work I did on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees work-life balance more, and compensate those who actually deserve it.

2. Overall positive - got to see the organization grow - but wasn't recognized for my accomplishments.

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, folks care about what's on stage, always something different happening from show to show - decent pay for the genre of job and location. If the upcoming move goes well, will be a positive change for the entire staff.

Cons

Leadership out of touch with day to day operations - literally don't know the names of all employees and it's not a huge staff. Lack of long term strategic view until very recently. The pending move was way too long in the making - lack of attention to details of upkeep and maintenance at some sites became very costly.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the great staff you have as you are working through this move.

3. No loyalty

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time

Pros

There are some nice people around.

Cons

Long Hours Low pay No recognition of sacrifices necessary to do job Clueless Senior Staff/Management No Loyalty Can't keep a balanced budget No raises, ever

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and listen to people around you. You do not always know best.

flee if you want to keep your souls

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

STC had an excellent benefits plan, and the free theatre perks were great. When I first started there I thought the culture was warm and inviting, and I made a lot of friends. I felt inspired, and it was great to be a part of a growing organization doing amazing art in the nation's capitol.

Cons

The culture took a nose dive at the 2009 recession, and just got worse. People were laid off, positions weren't refilled, and the hits just kept coming to our paychecks, but we were constantly asked to 'do more with less'. Vendors were constantly calling to ask when they would get paid, and I'm shocked I got my paycheck on time.... and this was still happening in 2013. Most of us were working long hours trying to make things work, and we stuck together, but the 'devil may care' attitude of the managing director, who posted his fancy vacation picks on facebook while he was missing a major donor event, well, it just killed it for a lot of us. Overtime only goes so far to compensating for missing your life, and for salaried folks, there is no work/life balance. The 'executive office' culture was toxic, and it spread while I was there. When the only person in administration any of us trusted to actually fight for the staff quit, it was a big sign to many of us to move on. It's a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Stop expecting people to maintain quality of work without resources. Pay living wages, and people will do more for you. Show respect to your staff. the 'executive office' is perceived as a boys club, and that does not work in this day and age. Keep it professional at work, and if you're going to skip out on a major fundraising event, don't post your pictures on facebook where hard working staff can see it.

6. Company review

I have been working at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time

Pros

It was good when I was there

Cons

Nothing that I can recall now

Advice to Management

None

7. Being an electrician at Shakespeare Theatre Company.

Current Employee - Electrician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Electrician in Washington, DC

Pros

Great personalities, decent work load for theatre, and a team that cares about your well being.

Cons

Low rate of pay for a degree holder, half of my income goes to "Benefits", I am paid less than temporary employees, Everyone is told that they will not be getting a raise any time soon, the base pay rate has not changed in nearly 7 years, and we regularly go over-budget on all our own productions.

Advice to Management

Be more present in day to day production, actual on-site performance review at least twice a year for every employee, Support employees getting "continuing education" credits in their field and require a minimum number of credits/per year.

8. Great environment to gain a strong foundation and build a career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful venues, great talent, and a wonderful place to gain experience. Also an excellent benefits package. For a professional performing arts company management works diligently to provide competitive wages and benefits The work life balance has improved throughout the years with the company as well.

Cons

Depending on the department you may encounter limited upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Encourage professional development and continued training in order to not end up with a workforce that is behind the eight ball in terms of field advancement. It will encourage employee retention, broaden capabilities, and benefit productivity.

An attitude of you're lucky to work for them

I worked at Shakespeare Theatre Company

Pros

High quality of work Good name recognition

Cons

low pay, little chance for advancement disconnect between artistic and production feeling that production departments are significantly less valued/see as less professional than administrative and artistic roles.

Advice to Management

yes, it's good to be employed if you work in the arts, but it doesn't give you an excuse to treat your employees like they have no choices.

RSS Feed </> Embed