Shaklee

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Roger Barnett

You Can Achieve A Lot Of Professional Growth, But It Is Not Going To Be Easy

Management (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsWorking hard and delivering results will get you noticed. Bonuses are acceptable. Great discounts on their high-quality product lines. Good benefits. Close to BART and 24-Hour Fitness.

ConsBe ready to fight for anything above an abysmal compensation increase and stay focused on opportunities for promotion. Inter-department politics will drive you mad. Poor planning and execution of many marketing efforts adversely affects morale. Not enough support and mentorship for individual contributors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a hard stop to bureaucracy that creates negative company culture. Hold marketing accountable and insist that they learn to more-accurately predict the outcome of their campaigns. Believe that positive change can come from the bottom up, not just top down.

Lacks Leadership and Focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCEO is visionary, work place is great, benefits are outstanding

ConsExecutive Leadership team lacks discipline and focus. Hire some people who want to make names for themselves instead of people on the downslope toward retirement.

Really nice people

ProsIncredibly warm people that are so welcoming and passionate about the company. Many great ideas percolating among teams and departments. Benefits are okay. Some flexibility with hours.

ConsLots of dysfunction across departments and lack of alignment on goals and objectives. New leadership with some growing pains. Not enough resources for the amount of work required.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more employee advancement opportunities, allow for more work-life balance to be consistent with corporate investment in health, and improve corporate transparency. Define corporate culture and values.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

worst employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only good thing is that the products are good, and as an employee you get a decent discount.

ConsCEO does not trust his management and has his fingers in everything preventing projects from moving forward. They do not value their employees, and every year they lay off lower level employees just to bring another slew of VPs/Senior Management. It is about who you know, who likes you and not the quality of your work. If you think there is bureaucracy in the company where you work, you have not worked for Shaklee.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop spying on your employees. Small perks could go a long way and will make employees feel valued. More than a 1 - 2% a year "raise" is does not cover inflation. Independent Distributors' reviews do not applied here as they do not work for the corporate office.

It's a joy to be a part of the Shaklee mission to make the world a better place

Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGreat opportunity to help people create better health and a sustainable income. The average customer uses Shaklee products for 17 years! My job is one of education and customer service to build lifelong relationships. The products are backed by solid science rather than hype. Shaklee has more scientists on staff, more patents and more published studies than anyone. Because of the quality they back the products with a money back guarantee, which gives me confidence when I introduce people to the products. We are well rewarded with a very lucrative compensation plan called the Dream Plan. I've been on three luxury trips in the last 5 years. The future looks very bright.

ConsThere are disappointments along the way - like anything worthwhile in life you have to work to improve and achieve. Lots of the growth in the last few years means the support from home office could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training for support staff and empower them to make decisions to solve problems.

Positive & Negative.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, CA

ProsPay can be decent at HQ, and its conveniently located 1 block from BART. It's better with benefits, and the discounts for some of their stuff is also a plus.

ConsI never felt like anyone ever told me what they were really thinking. I never felt like my input was honestly valued. I thought the way I was judged on my work: which was reliant upon every other department to be on time, to be in contact with other groups on being in synch (never happened), and also the tech + 'old guard,' did me no favors. I ended up working so many evenings, weekends, and through the holidays, that I often questioned: is this really worth it?

Advice to Senior ManagementI wouldn't bother. No only are they deaf and willing to play dumb to the reality of the world, since they are so tidily siloed & insulated inside their LEED certified office building. that it's a waste of time, energy and breath. The company is privately owned by narcissistic billionaires, who want nothing to do with the unwashed masses who work and/or buy from them.

Not a great place to work

ProsClose to Bart, nice office, nice people, opportunity to wear many hats

ConsThere is no feeling of love for it's employees, but mistrust. There are cameras on you at all times, Internet activity is monitored and phone calls are recorded. Employees are not seen as an asset, but treated as a liability. Pay raises are less than inflation rate year over year regardless of high performance ratings. HR dept consists of 3 people which shows the emphasis placed on employee retention, moral and getting bad employees off the booksl There are no mentionable perks!! There is just an overall blah feeling felt from floor to floor. There are no goals or measurement on your work so the hard working strong end up leaving due to lack of recognition and the lazy weak remain to hide out. The strong that do remain are heavily leveraged while the lazy are rewarded by doing less and less because managers don't manage them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making Shaklee a great place to work to attract and retain top talent and get some balls by firing the slackers! Hire strong managers and adjust your focus from cost savings to invest in building the business. You would make millions with a happy workforce because it's your unhappy workforce that is killing your numbers. Get in the weeds a bit and you will see this for yourself.

The most integrity Shaklee shown to us, a leader in the industry.

Director of Training (Current Employee) Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsA science base company with solid track records since 1915

ConsShaklee only has 7 countries / markets

Advice to Senior ManagementGo really fully globally

I really liked it, people are very friendly and willing to help each other

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsGreen company, dedicated to is distributors

ConsCan be a little unorganized

No challenge, just a paycheck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsFriendly and helpful coworkers. Great location near BART station. Beautiful area and building. Free snack bars in lunch area and plenty of parking spaces. Local traffic is not too bad.

ConsManagement seems more interested in saving money than finding new ways to make money. It makes it impossible to be creative or innovative.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in R&D and make something new once in a awhile. Replace timid marketing people.

Worked for Shaklee? Contribute to the Community!