Shamin Hotels

Shamin Hotels CEO Neil Amin

Neil Amin

I've had a great experience with Shamin Hotels

Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsWorking on a team with all A players improves your own performance, benefits are comparable and better than what other hotel management companies offer in the area. This Company gives you a chance to create and implement your own initiatives in your department, ability to travel to assist at other properties and increase your experience. associates are friendly, senior leaders take time to listen to lower level managers and value their feedback.

ConsThe only minor con would be the pay, which is generous for some but depending on your skill set, experience, and certifications, may be lower than other companies. However you have a chance to make a career with

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

All the One stars here are on point.

HOUSEMAN (Former Employee) Sandston, VA

ProsGetting to interact and hear stories from travelers abroad and a discount at other properties. That's it, unless you like eating left over "cafeteria" style food after the guests have had their way with it.

ConsSEVERE lack of leadership starting at the base management levels all the way up the chain - while progressively increasing in severity with climbing "rank". Mr. Amin himself (and wife) walked in to the property, in which I greeted him as I would anyone else, with his response being of an awkward stare and rudely walking away ... not even acknowledging that he had been greeted by another human being.

The best description of Shamin as a whole would be : "Warm bodied employer"
    If you have a pulse, can speak AT LEAST enough English to communicate with others - you can be hired. This in turn means that, for people looking for advancement, a decent working environment, etc. that the "on-par" people of society are looking for in a job, end up having to work with those who could care less about their own performance and it's negative affects on you personally. Don't think that they will "sweat" your resignation/termination, they have no problem sourcing a "mouth breather" to wear your old shoes. Something else of note worthiness: There is a reason that pretty much ALL of their properties are in "right to work" states.

I'm starting to wonder if Shamin is less a play on the two families company merger, and more a slang term developed to describe the companies extreme nepotistic practices - Everyone from the District manager level and up are in some way related to the Amin family, even though they have a full page in the employee handbook "forbidding" such.

Reason for my termination - I was called a "no call/no show" to cover the AGM's mistake: the fact she hadn't produced a schedule by the beginning of the work week. I even presented PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE in the form of a TIME STAMPED digital photo of only the prior weeks schedule being posted TWO DAYS into the work week. Even speaking face to face with the AGM after taking the photo, I was left to assume that the schedule would mirror the prior week . I was told to turn in my keys VIA TEXT with no warning, discussion, communication of any kind two days later. No call to even ask where I was during the shift that was scheduled WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR NOTIFICATION. Not even a response via text to my questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to those SEEKING management for this company: Only take on this job as a means to support yourself until you can find more gainful employment, because the second they no longer need you, you WILL be terminated, or strategically manipulated into wanting to leave (excessive hours, extra work load, anything that would make you want to willingly leave) - ALSO: The AVERAGE rat of pay for a management position - $12 per hour SALARY.

Not so much the corporate level but the hotel property.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glen Allen, VA

ProsThey have a lock on the Richmond industry and there are many positions within the hotel industry that can be applied for.

ConsNo direct deposit. Corporate hold the managers responsible for the property. The managers then hate their jobs and stop caring. This falls on staff who then have to put on a happy face so guests can't see how terrible things are behind the scenes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being "out of town" when you are needed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work for Shamin Hotels

General Manager (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsYour co-workers are the best people that you will find. Loyal and caring.

ConsUpper management and corporate staff that don't care. Pay is low. Bad benefits. Micro-managing. Unethical behavior. All those positives reviews you read in glass doors are done by fake email addresses by other executive to make them look good. Please, trust me. The company makes lots of money but hotel managers and employees don't see any of it. Wealth is shared by an elite group of certain nationality. Turnover is very high and you don't see anyone fighting for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe care about our guest and our hotels, but you make it so difficult to enjoy coming to work. Your screaming and moods are unacceptable. How you treat people and how unfair so many people have quit and let go speaks volume. You will never be a fortune company nor a best employer in the RVA. Never because you can't and because you don't want.

The only reason this gets two stars is because the employees are really awesome.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat staff, and the guests are terrific as well as understanding.

ConsManagement is terrible. I've never seen upper level managers leave and have only two employees on a sold out hotel. There is NO night security. They micromanage you when you have nothing else to do but when you need them they miraculously disappear. Obviously making a large profit is the top priority since they cheapen the hotel as much as they can and still pass "standards" barely. Management does NOT follow the business model and hides behind procedure when it is convenient. I honestly don't think I have told guests "I'm sorry" so much in my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a manager you should manage. Make your employees feel worthy and eager to help you! Stop treating people like a number. If you support your employees they will support you. It truly is a shame that you have a cornered market in Richmond, and Petersburg. If one of your unsecured hotels gets robbed and someone is hurt -- or worse. That is in you and you deserve to lose everything

Literally, the best job I've ever had.

Management (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome people to work with, on all levels. Bosses are great, along with everyone level with, higher than, and below my position. A real family feel. I've been treated with respect, and very warmly welcomed. You are not a number in this company, you're a person, and very valued.

ConsThere are no real cons that I can see.

Great place to learn and advance

Supervisor (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

Prosfun, entrepreneurial culture; strong management
    Working at Shamin Hotels as a General Manager, this is the first time I'm actually excited on my commute in the morning. Management is transparent and shares high-level goals and company changes; they're accessible, and want to see employees succeed. Feedback from managers is a balance of constructive criticism and insight into your strengths, and provides clear direction on how to continue to develop.

ConsMy team is motivated and fun - they take pride in their work, and collaborate together. I learn from them, and continue to be impressed by the ways they challenge themselves to improve their skills and knowledge. Even though we've expanded and grown aggressively in the past 3 years the culture is still entrepreneurial and promotes integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI feel trusted to make decisions, and help change the business for the better.

It is a very challenging and exciting environment, but fun to be around. No two days are the same

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

Prosyou get room to be entrepreneurial. They empower you to be CEO/Owner of your own hotel

Consas I mentioned, it's a challenging environment and they challenge you to do better every day but that only makes us better and be successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis Company is for those that are driven and have high ambitions and want to reach great heights.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Check if your local Wal-greens is hiring before applying here

Front Desk Manager (Former Employee) Sandston, VA

ProsA few pennies...A/c is great in summer...nice building

ConsPoor management, fast food pay rates, no direct deposit or chance to grow in company lack of intellect with staff

Advice to Senior ManagementKnock down the property and build affordable homes where you think the staff will live with that salary you are offering

A great Company to work for

General Manager (Former Employee) West Pittsburg, PA

ProsThis company takes great care of their employees and has a great bonus package as well as make you feel they are part of one huge family

ConsWish they would expand their operations outside of Richmond and acquire or build more properties up North

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leaders in this organization are some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. They support you 100% and provide you with all the tools necessary to do your job

Worked for Shamin Hotels? Contribute to the Community!