ShaneCo Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.9

ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

No Better Employer Out There!

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The integrity and ethical standards with which they function and encourage in their employees.

Cons

Great benefits, great growth potential. The only negative is the fact they are a retail chain so the hours are a little crazy. Compared to other retail companies, their hours are MUCH better!

Keep it up!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you enjoyed it here! Thanks for telling others.

One of the Best Retail Careers Available

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Shane Company provides an exceptional professional experience and incredible opportunities for its employees. One of the most exciting benefits of working for the company is the opportunities to come. I was promoted within a year and I have received a wealth of support from every facet (no pun intended) of our family. From our top executives to our newest employees, I have never experienced the level of availability and transparency that I have experienced during my tenure with the shane company. I am sure that you have heard this before but if you are truly looking for a company that you can be a part of and grow with come join us at the Shane Company!

Cons

The only concern I can mention would be that it is vital to maintain a healthy work/life balance while working retail hours. This is the biggest challenge but through honest communication it is easy to manage here.

Continue to grow in our current direction and beyond while encouraging the team to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying your experience here!

ShaneCo IT Department

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great, for the most part.
    The company cares about morale and does nice things like employee breakfasts, pot lucks, contests, and the like.
    The employee discount is lovely.
    A lot of people have great intentions and are fun to work with and learn from.
    Can switch positions as business needs dictate, which is great for learning and for resume material.

Cons

Extremely unstable. IT Management fires people at the drop of a hat, so you can never cross someone or make any mistakes, or you are out of there.
    Not nearly enough vacation time offered; below curve on that and sick time.
    People are usually hired as contractors first, so no benefits or time off for six months, then you have to be a regular employee for another six months to be allowed to take time off, so no days off for an entire year for most new hires. That is difficult.
    Turnover is scarily high.
    A lot of yelling, some verbal abuse, all of which is tolerated.
    No external training offered or paid for.
    Pay scale is considerably lower than comparable businesses in the area.
    Health insurance plan is truly terrible.

Stop firing good people. Stop with the abuse. Work to keep good employees; they are very valuable. Pay according to what the standards are for this area. Increase benefits.

Good sales job for a young, single professional

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and bonuses/spiffs, good training, fun environment, good merchandise discounts

Cons

Horrible hours, be prepared to work every weekend and holiday, say goodbye to your family! Also, it's almost impossible to move up. Sometimes the coaching from management can be a bit too aggressive and goals are at times unrealistic and out of reach.

Be more flexible with schedule, trust your employees capabilities and don't micromanage.

Oct 27, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are certainly disappointed to hear that you did not feel the schedule worked for you. As a Retailer, we absolutely do have hours that are outside the usual "office environment," and we are open on ... More

Retail job with tough schedule and tons of favoritism.

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales associates not on commission.

Cons

Long hours, they will keep you there hours after the store closes if there's a customer in the building, very difficult to get a raise, bonuses are unattainable, they preach about it being a non commissioned, low pressure sales environment but they come down very hard on you for not making sales goals

treat everyone the same!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

It is true that sometimes our customers are still shopping when our official closing time comes and of course we would never want to rush them through such an important purchase as an engagement or ... More

Decent Place to Work

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, they treat employees really well and have a fun corporate event planned every month.

Cons

Pay isn't great and the people aren't very friendly.

Show more appreciation

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that you did not feel appreciated. As you mention, we do have corporate events planned each month in the home office. We are also working hard with our management team to show ... More

It's been a great time...

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Trasparency, career growth, integrity, people, leadership - all have been excellent. That's not to say there haven't been issues in the past, but since Rordan Shane has been at the helm Shane exemplifies a company to work for.

Cons

None at this time. It's a retail environment, which sometimes has its pitfals for "front line" employees, but overall the best retail environment out there - bar none.

Keep going in the direction we are going now.....

Excellent Company to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, excellent environment to work, open minded. I love the fact that it's not a commissioned environment and it's all straight salary, which benefits the employees and customer's. Because of the hours, Shane Co. doesn't feel like retail and we get many paid holidays. There are many opportunities for career growth. Shane Co. is a solid company.

Cons

Being here for 25 years.....if I have to think about it....there are NO CONS.

The management team works together as a team. The management team listens to employees and works to develop them to reach their full potential.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying it here!

Great work environment, especially for retail sales.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is awesome! The company's culture is all about appreciating the employees and empowering them to make decisions that take care of the customers. I've worked here for 4 years and the whole time my manager has pushed me and helped me to become a better sales person and a better leader. There is room to move up and you are encouraged to do so and the company makes it easy to take care of customers because there warranty is the best I've seen!

Cons

Retail hours but it's a retail store so that makes sense.

Oct 21, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for telling others what a great time you are having here!

Shane Co. - Exceptional Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shane Co. is a wonderful company. Shane Co. cares about all of their employees and is the most transparent company I've ever worked for. Shane Co. has a very unique culture and welcomes new ideas. The entire executive team is down to earth and personable. Shane Co. likes to promote from within.

Cons

If I could change anything about Shane Co. it would be to slightly relax the dress code during the summer months, which is currently being considered.

The executive team does a great job communicating with the stores and providing open and honest feedback.

Oct 21, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback!