ShaneCo

Updated January 23, 2015
3.7

ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

Pros
  • Work environment is nice, lots of light, and they make an effort to keep it feeling fresh (in 4 reviews)

• Shane Company sells the best values every day (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In other words, no kind of work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Retail hours but it's a retail store so that makes sense (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented company that values their workers. There is a lot of training available and easy to move up in the company if you choose to do so. If you don't, there is no pay ceiling. The management has an open door policy which makes it easy to communicate. You get 2 weeks of vacation and more if you stay with the company after 5 years and so on. I have met Tom Shane himself a couple times and he is very easy to talk to! Benefits are great!

Cons

You work weekends and are very busy during the holidays, but they make up for it with pay, benefits, and bonuses.

Keep up the good work!

Sales associate

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free cookies and the knowledge you get from training over jewelry. You also get to meet new people Thats about it from my 2 month experience.

Cons

Micro managing to the fullest with negative feedback almost everytime, they will drive you deep into the ground and then expect you to perform better after they have verbally destroyed you. Very secretive, shady management. Profanity usage from all management nonstop. Will drop you like a dime without any notice or warning what so ever. They act like your friend and that they like you but really this is all an ACT. They let me go bc "I wasnt a good fit" I worked hard and did everything they asked of me but in the end it bit me in the butt.

Treat your employees with respect. At least give them a warning before you just kick them out of the front door for no reason. Stop with the negative feedback constantly.

Jan 19, 2015VP of Human Resources

I am very sorry to hear that you did not have the experience you had hoped for. It appears you must have started a a very busy time of year which is certainly a stressful time to be learning. Our ... More

Diamond Consultant

I worked at ShaneCo

Pros

EVERYTHING! Managenent team is amazing. Shane co really does care about their employees. Pay is good.

Cons

Holliday hours are a bit overwelming

None! Keep up the good work

No Better Employer Out There!

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The integrity and ethical standards with which they function and encourage in their employees.

Cons

Great benefits, great growth potential. The only negative is the fact they are a retail chain so the hours are a little crazy. Compared to other retail companies, their hours are MUCH better!

Keep it up!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you enjoyed it here! Thanks for telling others.

One of the Best Retail Careers Available

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Shane Company provides an exceptional professional experience and incredible opportunities for its employees. One of the most exciting benefits of working for the company is the opportunities to come. I was promoted within a year and I have received a wealth of support from every facet (no pun intended) of our family. From our top executives to our newest employees, I have never experienced the level of availability and transparency that I have experienced during my tenure with the shane company. I am sure that you have heard this before but if you are truly looking for a company that you can be a part of and grow with come join us at the Shane Company!

Cons

The only concern I can mention would be that it is vital to maintain a healthy work/life balance while working retail hours. This is the biggest challenge but through honest communication it is easy to manage here.

Continue to grow in our current direction and beyond while encouraging the team to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying your experience here!

Great company to work for, but unless you don't mind retail hours its a great job to have.

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shane Co does not pay on commission, but the extra bonus is always a good thing for a job well done.

Cons

Retail hours are hard to work with, especially during the holidays. But employees are normally given two days off a week, but very rarely would those days be on the weekend.

Management is great, for the most part, they are great leaders.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

ShaneCo IT Department

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great, for the most part.
    The company cares about morale and does nice things like employee breakfasts, pot lucks, contests, and the like.
    The employee discount is lovely.
    A lot of people have great intentions and are fun to work with and learn from.
    Can switch positions as business needs dictate, which is great for learning and for resume material.

Cons

Extremely unstable. IT Management fires people at the drop of a hat, so you can never cross someone or make any mistakes, or you are out of there.
    Not nearly enough vacation time offered; below curve on that and sick time.
    People are usually hired as contractors first, so no benefits or time off for six months, then you have to be a regular employee for another six months to be allowed to take time off, so no days off for an entire year for most new hires. That is difficult.
    Turnover is scarily high.
    A lot of yelling, some verbal abuse, all of which is tolerated.
    No external training offered or paid for.
    Pay scale is considerably lower than comparable businesses in the area.
    Health insurance plan is truly terrible.

Stop firing good people. Stop with the abuse. Work to keep good employees; they are very valuable. Pay according to what the standards are for this area. Increase benefits.

Oct 30, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thank you for pointing out all the great things we are working on with morale and the overall environment for all of us, as well as the career opportunities that being able to cross-train and switch ... More

Retail job with tough schedule and tons of favoritism.

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales associates not on commission.

Cons

Long hours, they will keep you there hours after the store closes if there's a customer in the building, very difficult to get a raise, bonuses are unattainable, they preach about it being a non commissioned, low pressure sales environment but they come down very hard on you for not making sales goals

treat everyone the same!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

It is true that sometimes our customers are still shopping when our official closing time comes and of course we would never want to rush them through such an important purchase as an engagement or ... More

Decent Place to Work

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, they treat employees really well and have a fun corporate event planned every month.

Cons

Pay isn't great and the people aren't very friendly.

Show more appreciation

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that you did not feel appreciated. As you mention, we do have corporate events planned each month in the home office. We are also working hard with our management team to show ... More

Good sales job for a young, single professional

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and bonuses/spiffs, good training, fun environment, good merchandise discounts

Cons

Horrible hours, be prepared to work every weekend and holiday, say goodbye to your family! Also, it's almost impossible to move up. Sometimes the coaching from management can be a bit too aggressive and goals are at times unrealistic and out of reach.

Be more flexible with schedule, trust your employees capabilities and don't micromanage.

Oct 27, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are certainly disappointed to hear that you did not feel the schedule worked for you. As a Retailer, we absolutely do have hours that are outside the usual "office environment," and we are open on ... More