ShaneCo Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
3.9

ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

No Better Employer Out There!

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The integrity and ethical standards with which they function and encourage in their employees.

Cons

Great benefits, great growth potential. The only negative is the fact they are a retail chain so the hours are a little crazy. Compared to other retail companies, their hours are MUCH better!

Keep it up!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you enjoyed it here! Thanks for telling others.

One of the Best Retail Careers Available

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Shane Company provides an exceptional professional experience and incredible opportunities for its employees. One of the most exciting benefits of working for the company is the opportunities to come. I was promoted within a year and I have received a wealth of support from every facet (no pun intended) of our family. From our top executives to our newest employees, I have never experienced the level of availability and transparency that I have experienced during my tenure with the shane company. I am sure that you have heard this before but if you are truly looking for a company that you can be a part of and grow with come join us at the Shane Company!

Cons

The only concern I can mention would be that it is vital to maintain a healthy work/life balance while working retail hours. This is the biggest challenge but through honest communication it is easy to manage here.

Continue to grow in our current direction and beyond while encouraging the team to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying your experience here!

Great company to work for, but unless you don't mind retail hours its a great job to have.

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shane Co does not pay on commission, but the extra bonus is always a good thing for a job well done.

Cons

Retail hours are hard to work with, especially during the holidays. But employees are normally given two days off a week, but very rarely would those days be on the weekend.

Management is great, for the most part, they are great leaders.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Solid sales experience

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Beaverton, OR

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team was a well oiled machine and everyone got along for the most part. The managers typically had good, constructive feedback and were really trying to help you succeed. They have a great education system to help get you ready to go before they even let you on the floor.

Cons

They advertise a "no pressure sales experience" for customers,but there is still pressure on the salesman. When the higher ups put pressure on store management, that pressure is applied directly to the sales team. This leads to unnecessary tactics such as swapping out sales people mid-sale or pressuring the customer to buy instead of making the experience the truly special time it should be. They have great products, great deals and a lifetime warranty. They don't need to add pressure or text books sales tactics.

Stick to policies. They have a clear open and honest approach to hearing ideas from sales people, but they sometimes don't like to hear ways to get better.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

As you suggest, we are always trying to work harder at hearing ways to improve and appreciate your candor.

It is true that we do sometimes swap sales people during a sale and have found over our
    ... More

Good sales job for a young, single professional

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and bonuses/spiffs, good training, fun environment, good merchandise discounts

Cons

Horrible hours, be prepared to work every weekend and holiday, say goodbye to your family! Also, it's almost impossible to move up. Sometimes the coaching from management can be a bit too aggressive and goals are at times unrealistic and out of reach.

Be more flexible with schedule, trust your employees capabilities and don't micromanage.

Retail job with tough schedule and tons of favoritism.

Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales associates not on commission.

Cons

Long hours, they will keep you there hours after the store closes if there's a customer in the building, very difficult to get a raise, bonuses are unattainable, they preach about it being a non commissioned, low pressure sales environment but they come down very hard on you for not making sales goals

treat everyone the same!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

It is true that sometimes our customers are still shopping when our official closing time comes and of course we would never want to rush them through such an important purchase as an engagement or ... More

Decent Place to Work

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Casual work environment, they treat employees really well and have a fun corporate event planned every month.

Cons

Pay isn't great and the people aren't very friendly.

Show more appreciation

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that you did not feel appreciated. As you mention, we do have corporate events planned each month in the home office. We are also working hard with our management team to show ... More

It's been a great time...

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Trasparency, career growth, integrity, people, leadership - all have been excellent. That's not to say there haven't been issues in the past, but since Rordan Shane has been at the helm Shane exemplifies a company to work for.

Cons

None at this time. It's a retail environment, which sometimes has its pitfals for "front line" employees, but overall the best retail environment out there - bar none.

Keep going in the direction we are going now.....

Shane Co. - Exceptional Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shane Co. is a wonderful company. Shane Co. cares about all of their employees and is the most transparent company I've ever worked for. Shane Co. has a very unique culture and welcomes new ideas. The entire executive team is down to earth and personable. Shane Co. likes to promote from within.

Cons

If I could change anything about Shane Co. it would be to slightly relax the dress code during the summer months, which is currently being considered.

The executive team does a great job communicating with the stores and providing open and honest feedback.

Oct 21, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback!

Excellent Company to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, excellent environment to work, open minded. I love the fact that it's not a commissioned environment and it's all straight salary, which benefits the employees and customer's. Because of the hours, Shane Co. doesn't feel like retail and we get many paid holidays. There are many opportunities for career growth. Shane Co. is a solid company.

Cons

Being here for 25 years.....if I have to think about it....there are NO CONS.

The management team works together as a team. The management team listens to employees and works to develop them to reach their full potential.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying it here!