ShaneCo

Updated October 27, 2014
3.8

ShaneCo Executive Chairman & President Tom Shane & Rordan Shane
Tom Shane & Rordan Shane

No Better Employer Out There!

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The integrity and ethical standards with which they function and encourage in their employees.

Cons

Great benefits, great growth potential. The only negative is the fact they are a retail chain so the hours are a little crazy. Compared to other retail companies, their hours are MUCH better!

Keep it up!

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you enjoyed it here! Thanks for telling others.

ShaneCo IT Department

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great, for the most part.
    The company cares about morale and does nice things like employee breakfasts, pot lucks, contests, and the like.
    The employee discount is lovely.
    A lot of people have great intentions and are fun to work with and learn from.
    Can switch positions as business needs dictate, which is great for learning and for resume material.

Cons

Extremely unstable. IT Management fires people at the drop of a hat, so you can never cross someone or make any mistakes, or you are out of there.
    Not nearly enough vacation time offered; below curve on that and sick time.
    People are usually hired as contractors first, so no benefits or time off for six months, then you have to be a regular employee for another six months to be allowed to take time off, so no days off for an entire year for most new hires. That is difficult.
    Turnover is scarily high.
    A lot of yelling, some verbal abuse, all of which is tolerated.
    No external training offered or paid for.
    Pay scale is considerably lower than comparable businesses in the area.
    Health insurance plan is truly terrible.

Stop firing good people. Stop with the abuse. Work to keep good employees; they are very valuable. Pay according to what the standards are for this area. Increase benefits.

Oct 30, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thank you for pointing out all the great things we are working on with morale and the overall environment for all of us, as well as the career opportunities that being able to cross-train and switch ... More

One of the Best Retail Careers Available

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Shane Company provides an exceptional professional experience and incredible opportunities for its employees. One of the most exciting benefits of working for the company is the opportunities to come. I was promoted within a year and I have received a wealth of support from every facet (no pun intended) of our family. From our top executives to our newest employees, I have never experienced the level of availability and transparency that I have experienced during my tenure with the shane company. I am sure that you have heard this before but if you are truly looking for a company that you can be a part of and grow with come join us at the Shane Company!

Cons

The only concern I can mention would be that it is vital to maintain a healthy work/life balance while working retail hours. This is the biggest challenge but through honest communication it is easy to manage here.

Continue to grow in our current direction and beyond while encouraging the team to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying your experience here!

Great work environment, especially for retail sales.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is awesome! The company's culture is all about appreciating the employees and empowering them to make decisions that take care of the customers. I've worked here for 4 years and the whole time my manager has pushed me and helped me to become a better sales person and a better leader. There is room to move up and you are encouraged to do so and the company makes it easy to take care of customers because there warranty is the best I've seen!

Cons

Retail hours but it's a retail store so that makes sense.

Oct 21, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for telling others what a great time you are having here!

Shane Co. - Exceptional Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Shane Co. is a wonderful company. Shane Co. cares about all of their employees and is the most transparent company I've ever worked for. Shane Co. has a very unique culture and welcomes new ideas. The entire executive team is down to earth and personable. Shane Co. likes to promote from within.

Cons

If I could change anything about Shane Co. it would be to slightly relax the dress code during the summer months, which is currently being considered.

The executive team does a great job communicating with the stores and providing open and honest feedback.

Oct 21, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback!

Excellent Company to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, excellent environment to work, open minded. I love the fact that it's not a commissioned environment and it's all straight salary, which benefits the employees and customer's. Because of the hours, Shane Co. doesn't feel like retail and we get many paid holidays. There are many opportunities for career growth. Shane Co. is a solid company.

Cons

Being here for 25 years.....if I have to think about it....there are NO CONS.

The management team works together as a team. The management team listens to employees and works to develop them to reach their full potential.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are glad you are enjoying it here!

Great company to work for, but unless you don't mind retail hours its a great job to have.

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Shane Co does not pay on commission, but the extra bonus is always a good thing for a job well done.

Cons

Retail hours are hard to work with, especially during the holidays. But employees are normally given two days off a week, but very rarely would those days be on the weekend.

Management is great, for the most part, they are great leaders.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Solid sales experience

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Beaverton, OR

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team was a well oiled machine and everyone got along for the most part. The managers typically had good, constructive feedback and were really trying to help you succeed. They have a great education system to help get you ready to go before they even let you on the floor.

Cons

They advertise a "no pressure sales experience" for customers,but there is still pressure on the salesman. When the higher ups put pressure on store management, that pressure is applied directly to the sales team. This leads to unnecessary tactics such as swapping out sales people mid-sale or pressuring the customer to buy instead of making the experience the truly special time it should be. They have great products, great deals and a lifetime warranty. They don't need to add pressure or text books sales tactics.

Stick to policies. They have a clear open and honest approach to hearing ideas from sales people, but they sometimes don't like to hear ways to get better.

Oct 20, 2014VP of Human Resources

As you suggest, we are always trying to work harder at hearing ways to improve and appreciate your candor.

It is true that we do sometimes swap sales people during a sale and have found over our
    ... More

Exciting work environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at ShaneCo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are never bored! Fantastic quality people work at the store level. It's always something new everyday. Team environment which is the best way to work. Great benefits and great pay.

Cons

Work load is very heavy. Expectations are too high in my opinion. Those great people I work with, well unfortunately it's a revolving door.

Your people are your greatest asset, don't take them for granted. Listen carefully to what feedback you are receiving. You have smart talent people working for you that need to be nurtured. Take care of them and you will see continued success.

Good sales job for a young, single professional

Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Diamond Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at ShaneCo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and bonuses/spiffs, good training, fun environment, good merchandise discounts

Cons

Horrible hours, be prepared to work every weekend and holiday, say goodbye to your family! Also, it's almost impossible to move up. Sometimes the coaching from management can be a bit too aggressive and goals are at times unrealistic and out of reach.

Be more flexible with schedule, trust your employees capabilities and don't micromanage.

Oct 27, 2014VP of Human Resources

We are certainly disappointed to hear that you did not feel the schedule worked for you. As a Retailer, we absolutely do have hours that are outside the usual "office environment," and we are open on ... More