Shaner Hotel Group

Fantastic

Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Jacksonville Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Housekeeper in Jacksonville Beach, FL

I have been working at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company. caring. Great management from owner down. Guest satisfaction is main priority. Truthfully cares for their employees. Wish I was still with them

Cons

None I can think of

Keep up the great work. Wish Shaner Corp the best in luck and hope one day to be back with them

This is a hotel management company and has it own accounting and tax department.

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in State College, PA

I have been working at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, low pressure, and the office is small enough to know everyone

Cons

Office too small and not much opportunities. The pay is a low ball

Great Company, doing great things, needs better managers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I have been working at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO is a great mind who has built this company. Many branches of company doing some really interesting things in the world of real estate and property management. Able to move between different branches somewhat. Staff was a great bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Some of the management treated you as if you didn't know what you were talking about, half the time. In-Fighting between managers and the many cuts that were made during the lean "recession years greatly" affected morale of Staff.

Treat those who report to you as if they are the most important people in the world and they will go above and beyond to make you look great. Most of you had it backwards all the years I was there.

If it wasn't for the awesome staff...

Former Employee - Front Desk in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Great hourly staff saved the hotel from being shut down numerous times due to cleaning and engineering issues.
    2) Some managers stand by their employees, and are great to work for!

Cons

1) Health benefits that met minimum standards were taken away
    2) Full time jobs were taken away leaving the hotel staffed with people who did not care about the quality of their service.
    3) No accountability for supervisors.
    4) Hourly staff considered disposable unless favored by GM
    5) Lack of proper training in front office leaves management, sales, accounting, and other departments burdened with complaints.
    6) No accountability in housekeeping, most jobs outsourced to ESS which speak little English, while supervisors struggle and score very low.
    7) General manager uncaring about staff, causing many long time employees to relocate or quit due to mistreatment.
    8) Raises are limited to 3% yearly for full time employees, if there isn't a wage freeze.
    9) The few full time people are over worked to make up for the lack of knowledge and training of the part time employees.

Take time to appreciate the employees you have, because you lose the great people who always score high, while other aspects of the hotel score poorly.

Company need for Exit Interviews

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the clients
    I truly loved my job especially interfacing with the clients...I worked hard and come each day with a healthy work ethnic. I appreciated the feedback given to me directly by the manager and absorbed it into my daily routine. I also truly appreciated the positive feedback given to me by clients. Rarely did I receive positive encouragement from my manager. I believe the orientation given by the company was not what transpired as the transition was put into place. I felt the training I received all went to waste as I had no real alternative but to resign

Cons

Immature management team, very subjective and unprofessional.
    The culture and values that the Shaner company (looking forward to going to work and a great place to work)...truly did not surface. Instead situations and personnel became autocratic and tense.
     The values I heard at the orientation certainly did not become reality.
    I was placed into no win situation, I had no other alternative but to resign.

You really need to conduct exit interviews. Please check out your recent acquisition in Southbridge. An honest look at the droves of employees who "had" to leave...

Great Company to be apart of!

Current Employee - Banquet Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Banquet Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a great hotel management company to be apart of they really do care for their employees and put their needs to the front of the line. Upper management is first class and very knowledgeable of the industry. also they strive to be the #1 hotel management company and in my mind they achieve that! guest satisfaction is this company's number #1 strength.

Cons

none to think of

Diversity lacking at Corporate Office State College, PA

I worked at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some corporate officers more supportive than others...

Cons

Health Insurance and discresionary match on 401k contributions leave lots to be desired...

There is no minority representation at Corporate Office Executive level... leaves one to ask a lot of questions regarding hiring practices at this level...

Great company to work for!

I worked at Shaner Hotel Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned company. Owns and operates quite a few hotels, most of which are located in the USA. The company is organized and well balanced. As an employee there is room for movement within the company. The salaries are competitive and fair. Good benefits, lots of perks. Focused on true hospitality.

Cons

Some of the company's older hotels need some work.

Make sure you have the right people in the correct positions. I have seen what I would consider some bad choices and decisions made on the companies part involving good loyal employees.

Shaner: A Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

I worked at Shaner Hotel Group

Pros

Franchises with Marriott, Hilton, CEO Lance Shaner, benefits package, facilities.

Cons

Slow to adopt new technologies, but changing.

N/A