Shapiro, Fishman & Gache

1.8
Ilene Cooper

1. Lots of nice,fun people but the work was repetitive and mind-numbi

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, pay, friendly boss, HR gave lots of goodies (cupcakes, lunch, ice cream social)

Cons

boring, repetitive, takes themselves too seriously, technology is all seriously outdated

Learned to be efficient and work with people from all walks of life, but still sucked.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

meeting some good people, potlucks (way too often , but delicious)

Cons

disgusting bathrooms, strict cellphone policy , ridiculously low team morale, upper management makes things much more secret than they need to be.

Advice to Management

My advice for upper management would be more transparency ! This firm will fizzle out soon if upper management continues to hide things from the employees. When changes are made and not announced people begin to speculate and that just caused an immense amount of unnecessary gossip and speculation. BE HONEST

3. Don't bother unless you have low self esteem and want it reinforced.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a paycheck, a few nice people, decent benefits. Good air conditioning. They do occasionally have some quality people - they don't stay long.

Cons

Everything else. Wow. After reading these reviews it appears there is a common theme; I could have written every one of them. The overall message conveyed by this 'company' (notice I didn't use the term 'firm') is you are not valued for quality, and are expendable, and replaceable at any moment - you are a 'useful idiot'. This is a 'pleading factory' and nothing more. Considering the nature of what they do, they are doing a very good job of making this workplace as demoralizing as they possibly could.

Advice to Management

Why bother? They've heard it all before. They are quite comfortable with status quo and it must be profitable for at least a few people, or they would strive to make it a better workplace.

Foreclosure mill

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache

Pros

Decent training for people new to the foreclosure process.

Cons

Firm is a revolving door.

Unless you are a kiss a** DO NOT APPLY

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, steady work, OT, casual Friday

Cons

Poorly managed, unreal expectations, extremely unfriendly people, NO training

I started here with little experience in foreclosures but was promised training. For the year I was there, I was treated like crap for asking questions in order to better understand the processes. I have a strong work ethic and cannot stand watching people socialize while I do their work...or take three week vacations while I covered for them. I felt like I was re-living high school (and I haven't been to HS in 10 years!). Some people openly kissed management's a** but they are still legal assistants (or processors...i wasn't quite sure what they were calling us), which tells me the "room for advancement" was nonexistent. We spent more time in BS meetings where we discussed weekend plans over work topics. This isn't a place you want to have a career. The pay wasn't horrible but we should be compensated with combat pay for the mental abuse from supervisors. Asking me why everything wasn't done when you keep piling on more work isn't going to get the work done faster.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting supervisors and managers who have no people skills and openly play favorites. Don't promise promotional opportunities in interviews. And devote more time and attention to training. Some people in my office didn't know how to handle transferring calls to other departments.

Foreclosure Mill that pushes files thru without consideration of the homeowners. Terrible treatment towards employees.

Former Employee - Foreclosure Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Foreclosure Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the time you could go in and do your job without being harassed. Until Management ran monthly reports and needed scapegoats which led to the firing of lower paid employees.

Cons

New employees didn't get training, they were given tasks and a few co-workers to try to ask questions to but these employees had full caseloads that couldn't get behind so very little training was available. There is a GREAT lack in training of upper management! unbelievable amount. some are promoted from jobs they had experience with into a management position they don't know how to handle and as a result end up messing up employees paid time off requests, over time request, etc. For example, a Bereavement was supposed to be paid, but because the manager somehow lost the paper he signed approving it, the employee with 2 months without being reimbursed for attending a close family member's funeral!

Advice to Management

Advice to Managment: take management courses! and treat employees nicely, and not like they shouldn't walk the same hallway as you do.

Terrible high school-like atmosphere.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Decent office building. Close parking - easy dress code.

Cons

By far one of the most unprofessional, ridiculous environments I have ever worked in. If you know what you are doing.... you DO NOT want to work here. And if you don't... you won't learn anything so don't bother. If you are desperate for any job, take it. Otherwise hold out for something at a real company.
    There is no room for advancement. I am actually shocked that any bank still gives them any files as their client systems are not updated or handled accurately or promptly. If you have a work ethic... this place is a tough pill to swallow.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Stop walking around worrying about the toasters and microwaves and actually worry about your files, and your EMPLOYEES. Remember that the people that work there are actually people. Hire department managers that actually know the job, and how to manage - both would be a plus. Oh and try paying people what they are actually worth according to their job experience and everyone working there won't be looking for another job all the time.

A completely demoralizing place to work!

Current Employee - Fisr Legal Processor in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Fisr Legal Processor in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Work goes by quickly because you are sooo busy
    - When the load is not too heavy it is a basic 9-5 if you like that

Cons

Where to begin???

Background: I consider myself to be an exceptional employee with an extremely good work ethic, all my previous employers have always loved me and I have moved on to other opportunities with great references from them. Shapiro is no different, they were sorry to see me go and it was on pleasant terms. That is because I am a nice person and a professional.

However, it is most certainly the worst place I have ever worked in my life and I was mostly miserable every day I was there! I worked here for 8 months in 2010, and frankly I was super impressed with myself because I was able to stick it out that long. I agree with all the other reviewers on almost everything they said, and those are since I left in 2010, so it sounds like it has not gotten any better. I basically took this job because I needed a paycheck, and this was easy to get as a temp through Apple One employment. They did like me, and so I was hired on after the 90 day trial period. Throughout my time there, I did get a reputation as a good worker who did thorough work. They even chose me to be interviewed by a client who came in, and asked me how the company functioned. So none of my review is prompted by revenge or anything of the sort, I simply believe truthfully that is a terrible place to work and not a healthy environment.

What started out as challenging work, became a nightmare workload and I was completely burnt out after the first 3 weeks. It absolutely does feel like high school, and your experience totally depends on your supervisor and lead. I had never had a problem with any co-worker ever, before this job because I get along with anyone. However, my supervisor made me crazy frustrated. She was extremely passive aggressive, and would always ask why certain things were not done. That might seem rational, but the problem is that I am only a human with 2 hands, and could only get so much work humanly done in one day. I cried several times during this job because it was so discouraging, and once it was actually there at work because I was so completely overwhelmed. (I am NOT a person who cries at work, mind you) My team lead on the other hand, was a really nice girl. I really loved her. She was the only person in management who kept me sane, after she started. She was much more interested in actually listening, and helping me when needed. She has since become a manager, and I am glad to see her succeed and glad that at least one nice person is there. I have had a lot of time to think since I left (4 years) and have come to realize that I think my supervisor was simply stressed out herself by the high pressure put on her by management, and so I think she was just a product of the overwhelming environment. She was probably just trying to figure out how to deal with it as well. I wish her well in the future.

I would literally never take a break, except to use the restroom or lunch, and sometimes I even ate lunch at my desk because there was just too much to do.

I felt like a mindless robot all day because you were not even allowed to listen to music while working. This is actually one of the biggest things that bothered to me. My friend and I both attempted to change this policy, to no avail.

The dress code. It sounds like it may have changed again, which is a good thing. But there was a dress code change during the time I worked there. When I was first hired, you could wear jeans which is actually one of the reasons I decided to take the job because I hate formal dress codes. Then, a few months later they decided they wanted to make the environment "more professional" and then we all had to wear business casual, slacks etc. So when they took away one of the only pros for working there, I couldn't wait to leave.

This environment is totally wrong for people who prefer to do things thoroughly and very well, as I do. Because you have to rush through all your work, at all times, every day. It never stops. I am not comfortable with that since I like to take my time to make sure things are correct so this was a major issue for me. During meetings, management would say "Well, we really need you all to make sure things are done very quickly, but also correctly." Um, Ok? I'm pretty sure that's what all of us were always doing anyways, but still, when you rush you miss important things. Fast is not better than perfect.

The mere fact that they make you clock in and out should give anyone pause, because that is a juvenile way to run a professional office of adults. It basically says right off the bat that they do not trust you, and creates a terrible environment. I always felt like a little kid who might be lectured at any time by a parent. (And I am a rule follower) Once I got called into an office to talk to my supervisor about the fact that I had been 5 minutes late, I kid you not. After that, I was literally counting down the seconds until I could quit.

On one hand, the very heavy workload made the day go by fast so I was never bored, but that was also a problem because by the time 5 came around, I felt like my work day was just beginning. It was so difficult to get anything done when you were also expected to respond to emails, answer the phones and cover receptionist duties for an hour. So I always had to ask for overtime, which they sometimes allowed, but always questioned why I needed it. I felt like a crazy person because I was doing everything I possibly could, but could never finish all my work. I was almost always the last one there at night and very often came in on saturday mornings just to keep my head above water.

I will say that some great girls work here (it is mostly all women in their 20s-30s) and I truly liked some of them and made some good friends. We all helped each other through the madness. My department even got me a going- away cake and everything, which was so sweet. So there was definitely some sunshine to help brighten the madness! I mean absolutely no disrespect to any of them who still work there. I think it works ok for some people.

I guess this job helped me accomplish what I needed when I was hired, which was to provide a reliable paycheck so it helped me accomplish some of my goals. But I hated almost every second of it, and could not have been more gleeful to give my 2 weeks notice when it was possible. Walking out with my box of belongings on my last day was actually one of the happiest days of my life and I felt like shouting: "I AM FREE!!!!!!!" :)

Advice to Management

If you would like to be an organization that thrives and have a culture where people are passionate and love coming to work, please consider some changes. Listen to the needs of your employees more, consider having a suggestion box or other way for people to anonymously make suggestions. Stop ruling by fear and instead motivate and encourage!

When you actually care about your employees, they will actually care about you! Stop using a clock-in system, that is just downright embarrassing. Allow more flexibility as long as people are actually getting their work done. This definitely felt like a labor-mill as some reviewers have called it, where you do not actually care about your employees. It seems you just want warm bodies to get things done. The culture needs some major re-vamping to get it to where it could be comparable with places where people actually like their life!

Laid off after a year and a half even though they just hired a bunch of people

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stressful job but overall it depends on your manager. My manager was cool so it wasn't that bad but definitely could have been worse. They give you overtime if its needed but it isn't really appreciated. Laid back environment even though there are a lot of rules. Benefits were ok and affordable health insurance but they could have did better with PTO. 1 of the only good things is that you can listen to music while you work. Learned about the foreclosure process.

Cons

High turnover, strict cell phone policy, no room for advancement. They have their rules/policies/procedures and there is no changing it. Low pay, $.58 worth of a raise even though I did A LOT of work there. During my time there, went through 3 different lay off waves & I was included the 3rd time even though they just hired about 20 people like a month prior to that. No sick days

Advice to Management

Upper Management doesn't care about employees. Just see $$$. They hire/fire people so easily but wonder why there are so many mistakes on files. Keep people that are actually worth keeping that know what they are doing and stop being cheap, pay people what they are worth.

Foreclosure mill that doesn't care about its employees.

I worked at Shapiro, Fishman & Gache

Pros

Easy to get hired, benefits.

Cons

The management is terrible. Not professional, extremely gossipy. A few of the managers would berate employees in front of everyone. They openly gossip about employees to each other and make the environment very negative. They operate like a high school clique and play favorites when promoting.

Advice to Management

It's hard to take management seriously when you reprimand an employee for something in front of everyone but openly let your favorites get away with murder. No one wants to ask management questions because they roll their eyes and act disgusted that a peon is speaking to them, then they wonder why people make so many mistakes. Also, I witnessed an employee get written up for sending an email to a coworker complaining about a manager. The manager told this employee that the receiver of the email came to them about its contents. In reality, the manager logged in to the employee's email remotely and without permission in order to snoop because she enjoyed yelling at this employee. The manager thought it was hilarious to mess with this person. That's completely awful on all levels, and a waste of company time and resources. I have never seen such unprofessional behavior in my entire life. Your turnover is high because you're nasty to all of your employees and everyone hates you. I can't believe your bosses haven't caught on to your disgusting behavior. My advice would be to fire management and hire people that aren't sociopaths.