Shari's Restaurants

www.sharis.com

Shari's Restaurants Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Bruce MacDiarmid

Awesome college job. I went from greeter to sever in a matter of days and learned the true meaning of customer service.

Greeter, Server (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsManagement was great and allowed for on the job training to meet my career goals.

ConsThe Delta Water's store was a bit out of the way for me but people loved it there as did I.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, they keep it real and strive for that family atmosphere.

Good First Job

Host (Former Employee) Lynnwood, WA

ProsWorking during the days was fun and low key for the most part. We had a ton of regulars. If you could name hundred customers and a fact about them then management would give you a $25 bonus.

ConsShari's is a 24 hour restaurant, I was glad I never had the graveyard shifts.
    No bussers meant it fell to servers and hosts to bus the tables. This got really problematic when the restaurant got busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet actual busboys. It is so stressful when the restaurant is super packed and there is a line out the door and the servers and hosts can't flip tables efficiently.

Seeking Employment: Look Elsewhere

All Positions (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsI must enter 5 words for Pros. Honestly, they are so few and far between that this box should just be empty.

ConsThere is no longer any opportunity for Full Time Employment. Shari's used the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) as a way to cut all employees down to 29 hours or less. There is no set in stone raise/review system, and there are no pay raises based on job code, so what you're hired on at is what you'll make, but the minimum might change and you will quickly find newer employees are making more than you.

The management team on a store level is a joke. Half of the time, they're gossiping with the employees, making it hard to respect them or take them seriously. And privacy is a joke. An employee went through a particularly nasty event last year and EVERYONE knew about it because our GM told some of the servers.

The upper-management is a bullying, make-it-happen-or-we'll-get-someone-who-will nightmare. You cannot get a straight answer from anyone.

Oh, and don't think about this as a second job. I was asked to quit my other one with the promise of more hours. That still hasn't happened.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out why morale is so low at your restaurant. Maybe you should stop giving employees so few hours and then harassing them to come in because someone called in sick and they aren't available. Maybe remember that you are responsible for the livelihood of human beings, not autonomous robots (Yet)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your time working for them, they don't care about their employees!

Server (Current Employee) Spokane, WA

ProsAlthough the money was great as a server, they treat their staff poorly! So if you are in the market for a short term employer who doesn't care about you, this is your company!

ConsThey closed our store with one weeks notice & no transfers made available to other stores! Many of the employees have worked at this location for over 10 years. This kind of practice by corporate America should not be tolerated! This practice destroys families and is not necessary. They request 2 weeks notice before leaving but only gave one week to all these employees. They only think of us as a number, not as people. They have been doing away with all the benefits in recent years. No full-time unless you are a "Green Bucket employee". What a derogatory name. I guess unless you put money in their bucket, you aren't worthy! No vacation time! No medical! In general they treat their employees terribly! Don't work for them!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just think of your employees as a number! We are human beings with lives & feelings and families to take care of!!! Some of your employees have worked for your company for many years and you don't treat them any better than someone you just hired! Where is your loyalty? Give your employees some notice when they no longer have a store to go to. They are the spokespeople for your company and angry workers don't tell good stories about you. In closing, thanks for throwing all of us away!

Not worth it!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prostips were always good. That is the only thing good about this job was that the customers gave tips.

ConsProbably one of the worst coworkers I've ever had.

Advice to Senior Managementinterview your people thoroughly! they were all rude!

Sharis has become my second home. I love spending my time here.

General Manager (Current Employee) Shoreline, WA

ProsGreat atmosphere, friendly people, clear and achievable goals. Working 8+ hours would feel like a lifetime anywhere else, at Shari's you're not confined to a cubicle. You're free to move around the restaurant and chit chat with any regular faces you see. The days go by fast when your work doesn't feel like work.

ConsSometimes spending too much time at work steals time away from my personal life but it is what it is.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes upper management forgets what it's like "in the field" and not every aspect of the business is black and white.

Shari's is a great company that cares for and supports their guests and employees at all levels.

General Manager (Current Employee) Gresham, OR

ProsShari's goes out of their way to provide support, guidance, development opportunities and helps with setting goals and exceeding expectations. They are local, involved in communities and support local schools.

Cons24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Always.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you :)
    The only thing I wish we had was vision insurance in addition to medical and dental.

A consistent and solid employer in the Pacific Northwest for over 30 years

Management (Current Employee)

ProsPotential for advancement and growth for all employees. Many of our corporate officers started their careers with Sharis as cooks or servers. Sharis has many managers and employees that have been with the company for 20 or 30 years, and that is quite an accomplishment in any business or industry.

ConsMany people flock to the Food and Beverage industry for many reasons, but few seemed prepared for how difficult life in F&B can really be. Many in today's labor force lack the competitive edge and intestinal fortitude to handle how stressful the industry can be. But, those who rise to meet challenges and thrive in adversity can build a long lasting and rewarding career both personally and financially.

Advice to Senior ManagementTimely communication to the field employees. Keep middle management in the loop more when it comes to potential growth or advancement opportunities.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsGreat opportunity relative to the effort you put forth. Company is focused on promoting from within and looks to provide opportunities to advance.

Conslots of pressure to continually improve efficiency and productivity in an environment where the talent pool is constantly shrinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward personal efforts with the most incredible profit sharing program in the industry. Invest more in remodeling older locations.

Overall great employment

ProsAdvancement opportunity salary guest relations and a great staff. I have always loved working for sharis for the most part.

ConsUpper management Corp office does not support the management teams. They instead make you feel incompetent and unworthy. Low moral, long hours no family time allowed. Being asked to achieve numbers with no labor to use and many programs have needed fixes.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplementation , recognition. Show you're teams that you care about their success not just numbers. Everybody at the corp office needs to be on the same page. Invest in the company for the long run not the now.

Worked for Shari's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!