Shari's Restaurants

Updated August 9, 2014
Updated August 9, 2014

3.3

Bruce MacDiarmid

Awesome college job. I went from greeter to sever in a matter of days and learned the true meaning of customer service.

Former Employee - Greeter, Server  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Greeter, Server in Portland, OR

Pros

Management was great and allowed for on the job training to meet my career goals.

Cons

The Delta Water's store was a bit out of the way for me but people loved it there as did I.

No advice, they keep it real and strive for that family atmosphere.

Great place

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

You learn valuable skills. Managers here must do everything.

Cons

Salary and 401k could be better. Hours are long and you work every holiday. This is not a surprise to us. They tell you when hired. However, after ten years it gets tiring.

Bring back the family feeling.

Good First Job

Former Employee - Host  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Host in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

Working during the days was fun and low key for the most part. We had a ton of regulars. If you could name hundred customers and a fact about them then management would give you a $25 bonus.

Cons

Shari's is a 24 hour restaurant, I was glad I never had the graveyard shifts.
    No bussers meant it fell to servers and hosts to bus the tables. This got really problematic when the restaurant got busy.

Get actual busboys. It is so stressful when the restaurant is super packed and there is a line out the door and the servers and hosts can't flip tables efficiently.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

In need of positive management

Former Employee - Cook  in  Redmond, OR
    Former Employee - Cook in Redmond, OR

Pros

Free employee meal worth up to $10. Cooking pans included, as well as a free hat.

Cons

GM was sexist, hypocritical, and insulting. I witnessed him talk about other employees behind their backs almost everyday. He treated all employees as lesser people.

GM needs to be removed. Almost all employees are lazy and do NOT do there job completely. The restaurant is busier than most, upper management does not recognize this and does not give management the freedom to give raises as freely or give more hours to employees.

Seeking Employment: Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - All Positions  in  Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - All Positions in Beaverton, OR

Pros

I must enter 5 words for Pros. Honestly, they are so few and far between that this box should just be empty.

Cons

There is no longer any opportunity for Full Time Employment. Shari's used the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) as a way to cut all employees down to 29 hours or less. There is no set in stone raise/review system, and there are no pay raises based on job code, so what you're hired on at is what you'll make, but the minimum might change and you will quickly find newer employees are making more than you.

The management team on a store level is a joke. Half of the time, they're gossiping with the employees, making it hard to respect them or take them seriously. And privacy is a joke. An employee went through a particularly nasty event last year and EVERYONE knew about it because our GM told some of the servers.

The upper-management is a bullying, make-it-happen-or-we'll-get-someone-who-will nightmare. You cannot get a straight answer from anyone.

Oh, and don't think about this as a second job. I was asked to quit my other one with the promise of more hours. That still hasn't happened.

Figure out why morale is so low at your restaurant. Maybe you should stop giving employees so few hours and then harassing them to come in because someone called in sick and they aren't available. Maybe remember that you are responsible for the livelihood of human beings, not autonomous robots (Yet)

Don't waste your time working for them, they don't care about their employees!

Current Employee - Server  in  Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Spokane, WA

Pros

Although the money was great as a server, they treat their staff poorly! So if you are in the market for a short term employer who doesn't care about you, this is your company!

Cons

They closed our store with one weeks notice & no transfers made available to other stores! Many of the employees have worked at this location for over 10 years. This kind of practice by corporate America should not be tolerated! This practice destroys families and is not necessary. They request 2 weeks notice before leaving but only gave one week to all these employees. They only think of us as a number, not as people. They have been doing away with all the benefits in recent years. No full-time unless you are a "Green Bucket employee". What a derogatory name. I guess unless you put money in their bucket, you aren't worthy! No vacation time! No medical! In general they treat their employees terribly! Don't work for them!

Don't just think of your employees as a number! We are human beings with lives & feelings and families to take care of!!! Some of your employees have worked for your company for many years and you don't treat them any better than someone you just hired! Where is your loyalty? Give your employees some notice when they no longer have a store to go to. They are the spokespeople for your company and angry workers don't tell good stories about you. In closing, thanks for throwing all of us away!

Not worth it!

Pros

tips were always good. That is the only thing good about this job was that the customers gave tips.

Cons

Probably one of the worst coworkers I've ever had.

interview your people thoroughly! they were all rude!

Sharis has become my second home. I love spending my time here.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Shoreline, WA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Shoreline, WA

Pros

Great atmosphere, friendly people, clear and achievable goals. Working 8+ hours would feel like a lifetime anywhere else, at Shari's you're not confined to a cubicle. You're free to move around the restaurant and chit chat with any regular faces you see. The days go by fast when your work doesn't feel like work.

Cons

Sometimes spending too much time at work steals time away from my personal life but it is what it is.

Sometimes upper management forgets what it's like "in the field" and not every aspect of the business is black and white.

Shari's is a great company that cares for and supports their guests and employees at all levels.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - General Manager in Gresham, OR

Pros

Shari's goes out of their way to provide support, guidance, development opportunities and helps with setting goals and exceeding expectations. They are local, involved in communities and support local schools.

Cons

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Always.

The only thing I wish we had was vision insurance in addition to medical and dental.

A consistent and solid employer in the Pacific Northwest for over 30 years

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

Pros

Potential for advancement and growth for all employees. Many of our corporate officers started their careers with Sharis as cooks or servers. Sharis has many managers and employees that have been with the company for 20 or 30 years, and that is quite an accomplishment in any business or industry.

Cons

Many people flock to the Food and Beverage industry for many reasons, but few seemed prepared for how difficult life in F&B can really be. Many in today's labor force lack the competitive edge and intestinal fortitude to handle how stressful the industry can be. But, those who rise to meet challenges and thrive in adversity can build a long lasting and rewarding career both personally and financially.

Timely communication to the field employees. Keep middle management in the loop more when it comes to potential growth or advancement opportunities.

Worked for Shari's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!