Shari's Restaurants Reviews

Bruce MacDiarmid

1. they are very family oriented

Former Employee - Line Cook in Central Point, OR
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Central Point, OR

I worked at Shari's Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They gave me all the hours i could ever want

Cons

this was a good all around comapany

give second chances

2. very good training for servers

Former Employee - Server in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Server in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Shari's Restaurants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

got very very good tips

Cons

did not like to work holidays

close on holidays

3. Company with a great history

Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Shari's Restaurants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand name and breakfast served 24 hours a day. What could be better? Also Sharis loves to take care of its employees.

Cons

A systematic problem is that only two managers cover an entire day. So if one misses a shift then it puts a lot of pressure on everyone else.

A more proactive menu. New flavors of soups and salads like Panera Bread and Applebee's does. When change outside of the restaurant happens faster than change on the inside companies fail - Fundamentals.

5. A average restaurant to work for. Basic 10% tips.

Current Employee - Server in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Kent, WA

I have been working at Shari's Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work with hard working co-workers. extensive menu.

Cons

Cant work more than 29 hours a week. Cant charge a automatic gratuity on parties with 8 people or more. Give servers holiday pay too. There is no recognition from corporate to restaurant staff. If you make the management mad you get your hours cut! No bussers or hostess, so servers have to do it all.

Make employees be accountable for no call no shows. Get rid of the people who aren't working up to the standards of their job. Dont be understaffed. Dont run out of products constantly.

6. Great place

Current Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Shari's Restaurants full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You learn valuable skills. Managers here must do everything.

Cons

Salary and 401k could be better. Hours are long and you work every holiday. This is not a surprise to us. They tell you when hired. However, after ten years it gets tiring.

Bring back the family feeling.

7. Awesome college job. I went from greeter to sever in a matter of days and learned the true meaning of customer service.

Former Employee - Greeter, Server in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Greeter, Server in Portland, OR

I worked at Shari's Restaurants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management was great and allowed for on the job training to meet my career goals.

Cons

The Delta Water's store was a bit out of the way for me but people loved it there as did I.

No advice, they keep it real and strive for that family atmosphere.

8. In need of positive management

Former Employee - Cook in Redmond, OR
    Former Employee - Cook in Redmond, OR

I worked at Shari's Restaurants part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free employee meal worth up to $10. Cooking pans included, as well as a free hat.

Cons

GM was sexist, hypocritical, and insulting. I witnessed him talk about other employees behind their backs almost everyday. He treated all employees as lesser people.

GM needs to be removed. Almost all employees are lazy and do NOT do there job completely. The restaurant is busier than most, upper management does not recognize this and does not give management the freedom to give raises as freely or give more hours to employees.

9. Good First Job

Former Employee - Host in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Host in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Shari's Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working during the days was fun and low key for the most part. We had a ton of regulars. If you could name hundred customers and a fact about them then management would give you a $25 bonus.

Cons

Shari's is a 24 hour restaurant, I was glad I never had the graveyard shifts.
    No bussers meant it fell to servers and hosts to bus the tables. This got really problematic when the restaurant got busy.

Get actual busboys. It is so stressful when the restaurant is super packed and there is a line out the door and the servers and hosts can't flip tables efficiently.

10. Seeking Employment: Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - All Positions in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - All Positions in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Shari's Restaurants part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I must enter 5 words for Pros. Honestly, they are so few and far between that this box should just be empty.

Cons

There is no longer any opportunity for Full Time Employment. Shari's used the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) as a way to cut all employees down to 29 hours or less. There is no set in stone raise/review system, and there are no pay raises based on job code, so what you're hired on at is what you'll make, but the minimum might change and you will quickly find newer employees are making more than you.

The management team on a store level is a joke. Half of the time, they're gossiping with the employees, making it hard to respect them or take them seriously. And privacy is a joke. An employee went through a particularly nasty event last year and EVERYONE knew about it because our GM told some of the servers.

The upper-management is a bullying, make-it-happen-or-we'll-get-someone-who-will nightmare. You cannot get a straight answer from anyone.

Oh, and don't think about this as a second job. I was asked to quit my other one with the promise of more hours. That still hasn't happened.

Figure out why morale is so low at your restaurant. Maybe you should stop giving employees so few hours and then harassing them to come in because someone called in sick and they aren't available. Maybe remember that you are responsible for the livelihood of human beings, not autonomous robots (Yet)

Don't waste your time working for them, they don't care about their employees!

Current Employee - Server in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Server in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Shari's Restaurants part-time

Pros

Although the money was great as a server, they treat their staff poorly! So if you are in the market for a short term employer who doesn't care about you, this is your company!

Cons

They closed our store with one weeks notice & no transfers made available to other stores! Many of the employees have worked at this location for over 10 years. This kind of practice by corporate America should not be tolerated! This practice destroys families and is not necessary. They request 2 weeks notice before leaving but only gave one week to all these employees. They only think of us as a number, not as people. They have been doing away with all the benefits in recent years. No full-time unless you are a "Green Bucket employee". What a derogatory name. I guess unless you put money in their bucket, you aren't worthy! No vacation time! No medical! In general they treat their employees terribly! Don't work for them!

Don't just think of your employees as a number! We are human beings with lives & feelings and families to take care of!!! Some of your employees have worked for your company for many years and you don't treat them any better than someone you just hired! Where is your loyalty? Give your employees some notice when they no longer have a store to go to. They are the spokespeople for your company and angry workers don't tell good stories about you. In closing, thanks for throwing all of us away!

Shari's Restaurants Photos