Sharp Communications

100% Positive Summer Interning Experience

Former Intern - Creative Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Creative Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sharp Communications as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Everybody who works there is incredibly friendly and was open to answering my many questions. As a result I learned more about advertising and PR than I could have asked for. Employees took time to show me the ropes, but then I was given hands-on responsibilities and independence with meaningful projects. I gained experience in creative work, market research, copywriting, account management, PR, and more that will undoubtedly be valuable in any future advertising jobs. I also got the chance to sit in on a variety of meetings, which taught me a lot about the business side of the field. I felt as if I was treated more like an employee rather than an intern, which made going to work that much better. The intern program was well thought out; the coordinators of it did a great job of setting up helpful talks and making all interns feel welcome. I was always kept busy but never overworked, and the office and location are both fantastic as well. I had a fun and educational summer - it was a really great time.

Cons

Everything and everyone was pretty easy-going and helpful, I don't really have anything bad to say. Wish that I bothered to branch out from eating at a different deli every day, and that I could have stayed longer,

Keep doing whatever it is you're all doing! I really appreciated that assignments were designed to not only be useful to the agency but also to help me out too.

Summer in NYC

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sharp Communications as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It was a very fun working environment with lots of fun people. Lots of perks from advertisers!

Cons

The company culture was very status and position focused. Meaning, I constantly felt like I was at the very bottom of the ladder by higher up employees. Also, it was Unpaid.

Help make employees starting out like they could contribute to the company.

My Summer at Sharp as an Intern

Former Intern - PR Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - PR Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Sharp Communications as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people at Sharp are great. It was a great work environment--very open, friendly, but very serious about working. For my three months at Sharp, there were days I enjoyed more than others. I felt very welcome. I was an intern in the food department, which I really loved because prior to this job, I was very interested in food and the food business. It was great learning about the other side of the food business which I didn't know about.

Cons

I often found myself doing mindless work that was given to me, possibly just to pass the time. But, of course, that's every internship. I did learn more about PR than I knew going into the internship, but I wish I could have learned more. There were days where I was given maybe 90 minutes of work, while I was there 9am - 5pm.

In terms of the internship program, I think a regular intern meeting would be really beneficial. We did have a few intern meetings, which I found really helpful, but more would have been great. Also, I think giving the interns more responsibility would be really beneficial. I thought I could have handled more responsibility, which could have taken a small load off of my bosses, as well as giving me hands-on experience about the world of PR.

Advice for entry level employment at Sharp Communications

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Aesthetically pleasing office environment, pleasant employee interaction/ attitude.

Cons

Extremely high employee turnover rate, poor benefits, long hours.

Boutique agency on Madison Avenue with A LOT to offer.

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Sharp Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Creatively-driven and fun, but focused, environment.
    Tight-knit, hard-working group.
    Diverse client portfolio with holistic approach.
    Located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, on Madison Avenue.

Cons

Long hours.
    No television advertising accounts.
    Fast-paced.

Keep building on what you've already made great.

Great Learning Experience at a Prestigious and Successful Agency

I worked at Sharp Communications full-time

Pros

Tight-knit working environment. Employees are young, ambitious, intelligent and very hard-working. Good benefits package. Vast and diverse clientele. Help to produce some of NYC's biggest and greatest events. Summer Friday's! Very fun celebrations! Management has a wonderful understanding of your personal life.

Cons

Can be long hours during busy times. Very fast-paced and high-stress at times - you've got to keep up!

Keep on keeping on! You guys are fun-loving, compassionate and very dedicated.

Reputable company, helpful & knowledgeable employees, great opportunity to learn about the public relations field

Current Intern - Current Employee in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Current Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sharp Communications as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Convenient location, very friendly, intelligent, & helpful employees, great cohesion of all teams, lower level employees included on large projects, employees learn under multiple account executives, vast client list, lower level employees feel like an important part of the team, "Summer Fridays", learn the ins and outs of the public relations field, office environment allows staff to openly communicate and be creative, holds a company seminar so that employees are aware of business standards and appropriate communication, present and active on popular social media platforms, company website thoroughly introduces the audience to the clients and employees

Cons

The regular work day hours may be something a new employee or recent graduate have to get accustomed to.

Continue to be committed to understanding clients and employees.

Great place to work

I have been working at Sharp Communications full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere that fosters creativity. Lots of collaboration among PR, creative and event teams. Management tends to encourage independence, but they are also very hands-on (sometimes too much), and they promote their team well. Great clients mix, big brands and smaller. Work hard, play hard environment.

Cons

Can be very demanding. Sometimes it can be competitive to work on "favorite" accounts.

Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sharp Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Convenient midtown location
    Nice website
    Office has lots of windows

Cons

Astoundingly high client and employee turnover rate
    No leadership or direction whatsoever
    Questionable business practices
    Ethics not a part of the company vocabulary

Spends more time thinking it's great than actually being great

I worked at Sharp Communications

Pros

Some very nice coworkers, convenient midtown location, decent vacation time for NYC, a good number of talented people in there. Agree with previous poster about great art department. Great media buying department too.

Cons

If you're not the type to suck up to management, then forget about any upward mobility. Even for a very small company, promotions are based on how sycophantic you are to management, and not merit. Main executives treat the company more like a social club than a business environment. Client-retention rate is low - employees would rather complain about clients behind their backs instead of actually trying to resolve issues in a professional manner. High turnover of employees - seems to be a place to earn one or two years of experience, then leave for bigger and better things. Bottom level employees do all of the grunt work and are treated like slaves.

Deflate your egos, think from the bottom up. Reward merit and do not treat the company like a social club. Make certain executives accountable when they go missing for days, or weeks, at a time. Stop micromanaging EVERYTHING.