Sharp Electronics (US) Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Sharp Electronics (US) Chairman and CEO Kozo Takahashi
Kozo Takahashi

Pros
  • Good dedicated people to work with good work life balance for most departments (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits good people nice atmosphere Changing the Japanese culture along with good old boys network (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • People tend to leave when there is no room to move up and to experience career growth (in 4 reviews)

• All critical decisions are made by Japan HQ (in 4 reviews)

1. OK place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Sharp Electronics (US)

Pros

Good place to work. great balance between work and family.

Cons

Getting promotions and having job security.

2. Company in decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Romeoville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Romeoville, IL

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people in a team oriented environment.

Cons

The company is struggling financially, causing round after round of layoffs. Staff is stretched too thin to accomplish all that needs to be done. No opportunity for promotion.

Advice to Management

With all the financial pressures on the company, I don't know what can be done to turn things around.

Sr. Executive Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Senior Executive Administrative Assistant in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Executive Administrative Assistant in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US)

Pros

The variety of projects I have worked on. Meeting different people. There is always something to learn. Making my boss the most effective, efficient and successful as he can be while enhancing the reputation of the business. People depending on me. Exchanging ideas and influencing decisions at a high level. The ability to interact with all levels and help build company moral through employee engagement events and projects. Knowing what's going on in the company through understanding what my group is responsible for.

Cons

The amount of interruptions we face on our daily routine. I work in an old fashioned culture where administrators are still seen as secretaries. The bickering among administrators - all seems very protective and not willing to share knowledge or help each other. Sometimes the role can put you in a position of being outside all of the teams (neither part of the management team or part of your colleague's teams.

Advice to Management

Support your employees not micromanage them. Take a ask vs. tell approach. Create a feedback-rich environment. Offer support in achieving goals. Focus on best ideas versus position/title. Don't wait for annual evaluation to deliver bad or good news. And remember part of management role is to help employees learn and grow from their mistakes.

5. Best Job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US)

Pros

Excellent company with amazing team

Cons

Companies facility was so big and staff did not occupy the entire facility. But honestly nothing negative working for Sharp.

6. Strong brand, poor leadership, uncompetitive products

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment with recoginition for hard work. (Mostly) good people to work with, build relationships with. Some upward mobility, but there is definitely a ceiling.

Cons

Can't compete with subpar products. Too much emphasis on bottom line and not enough on rebuilding the brand. Positions are being filled based on politics.

Advice to Management

No advice.

7. Good Company, needs marketing help

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US) (More than a year)

Pros

Name Brand Recognition, environmentally conscious, good benefits

Cons

marketing is piece-meal, too many moving parts

Account Executive

Current Employee - Major Account Executive/Account Executive in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive/Account Executive in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Sharp Electronics (US) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Superior products, good services, great support, good benefits

Cons

Micromanaged, big corporation red tape, no real advancement opportunities

Keep looking!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, NJ

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Depending on who you report to, your work/life balance can be great. I was fortunate to have a hands off manager. Flexibility to leave for Dr. Appointments or other life issues wete great. BUT, this isn't the norm. I was lucky!

Cons

Working on a skeleton crew. One person does job of 3 or 4. No additional compensation. Depending who your manager is, you could be overworked, micro managed and not be recognized or promoted. These managers are the norm. Communication from upper management is a joke Everything is a secret. Always trying to put out fires. You have meetings to have meetings about meetings. Always starting new programs to better communicate and address issues with employees, but these never last. Seems only Japanese and men get promoted. No advancement opportunities, especially women. You will be in the same position for years with no promotion. Raises are minimal. Took away Pension.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with employees. Recognize a job well done. A simple Thank You goes a long way. Don't ask for suggestions and then disregard them. There needs to be room for advancement. Promote those who deserve it.

Great company - poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I worked at Sharp Electronics (US) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has great talent, technology and R&D.

Cons

Very poor leadership - too many kingdoms and fiefdoms internally - lacking vision and unable to 'cannibalize' older technologies and moving on to new ones. Small thinking leaders who don't know how to run a large company, so they down-size company to fit their capacity :(

Advice to Management

Going through another round of funding -- and still struggling. Might as well have done this in your previous round of funding. Find yourself a turnaround wizard from any part of the world not just Japan. Very sad if SHARP won't exist soon. Hope SHARP can get out of it's current downturn and rise to shine again.

11. Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Sharp Electronics (US)

Pros

Great training; Great working environment to promote best of breed products and solutions;

Cons

Challenging to compete with unfavorable press

RSS Feed </> Embed