Sharp HealthCare

Sharp HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy

Pros:
  • "Large organization and numerous facilities throughout San Diego"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Great place to learn and grow in my field"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pay is the LOWEST in San Diego even though the Sharp Hospital system is one of the LARGEST in"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Health care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The Sharp Experience needs CPR - difficult to get promoted, no room for advancement, no investment in your employees.

ProsPrestige of the organization, location, benefit cost

ConsNo work life balance
    No virtual work - only for a selected "Special few".
    Poor Senior leadership, lack of support for mid level managers, HR is not supportive. Sadly there are/were double standards between entities and departments in regards to pay practices and accountability. I work 60-80 plus hours a week and others in the sane job class worked 30-40 with less responsibility and more pay. Some C band employees promoted for length of service are very out of touch with employees, technology and trends.
    Difficult to get promoted, no room for advancement, very small tuition reimbursement.
    Walk the talk SHC.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are loosing good people everyday - often when they are let go HR is so afraid of litigation they offer severance to avoid litigation. Ask yourselves - why are these people leaving?
    Talk to everyone who leaves your organization - people do not leave good companies they DO leave bad leaders. We lost the best leader ever this fall due to poor execution of senior leaders at SRS. To cover up this They threw out files and did things to make the leader look incompetent.

OK but doesn't give enough motivation

CNA (Current Employee)
    La Mesa, CA

ProsGood co-workers, employee perks, management is flexible with working students

ConsCNAs don't get enough annual increase, they get more than 10 patients, gets worn out every shift, gets scheduled for 5-6 days straight, receive a high work evaluation and only receive cents as an increase. If your one of the best employee, co-workers will always go to you for help and this will make you more tired even more.

Advice to Senior ManagementCNAs may not have that much responsibility as an RN but we work very hard to maintain the quality of care, we don't feel valued (no CNA week) and receiving cents as an annual increase is not very motivational.

Nurse Case manager

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsWorking with diverse projects. There is favoritism and manipulation with assignments.

ConsMy work environment is challenging with the management team looking the other way. I did the right thing and called the " Sharp ethics line and reported the incident to upper management. Instead today, I received an below average annual review of 1.8 stating that case management matrix is off. . My supervisor physically touched me by "poking me in the chest" and I reported it. Where is HR or management on this situation? The irony of the situation it was a witnessed event by a fellow co-worker. There is payback if you report anything and you should not say or do anything. The phone calls for the ethics line are recorded and informed is forwarded to department manager

Advice to Senior ManagementCan you please not allow the current manager to continue to harass me

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

senior systems programmer analyst at sharp healthcare

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsStable vertical, predictable annual review and raise.

ConsLow pay, inexperienced incompetent colleagues

Sharp HealthCare has it's heart in the right place.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDedicated team members at all levels, from executive leadership to nurse staff and admin support teams. The work is meaningful and it is rewarding to know the time and effort put into a project helps people in the San Diego community.

ConsSharp HealthCare is a very large organization with multiple layers of checks and balances. On the admin side, project approvals are slow. I prefer to work in a faster-paced work environment.

Per dime lvn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPer diem-choosing your own schedule

ConsPer diem- unable to choose the MDs you work for

The best place to work, the best place to practice medicine, and the best place to receive care.

Healthcare Partner (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe people I work with make it the best.

ConsSatisfaction surveys often have some 'junk' reviews that inaccurately reflect Sharp. Due to the nature of healthcare, and business, there will always be some negative reviews to take into consideration.

Fast paced,

ProsGreat benefits! Good company over all to work for.

ConsThe pay, management at some locations.

Best HealthCare employer in the Universe

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAn excellent place to learn and expand horizons, with incredible opportunities to become a master of a discipline, or many disciplines. Wonderful people and relationships and a sense of mission unlike most others.

ConsWith great opportunity comes mass entrance into the Peter Principle. After the wonder wears off, the questions of whether your manager is really as qualified as you will become routine -- you're correct, don't fight it.

good place to work, but needs to pay more...

Applications Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGood atmosphere in the workplace. Good benefits. Great coworkers. A good workplace in general.

ConsLow pay. Bad management. Good people to work with, yet they seem to place the wrong people in management positions. Very slow career advancement opportunities. Sharp needs to focus on finding ways to pay the employees better, they have many programs to inspire and motive, but nothing that actually pays the employees more. Sharp always starts people at the bottom of the pay range and the annual increase is a very low percentage too.

Advice to Senior Managementpay better to keep the great employees...

Worked for Sharp HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!

Sharp HealthCare Videos

Sharp HealthCare – Why Work for Us?

For more than 50 years, Sharp HealthCare — San Diego’s premier health care provider — has been dedicated to improving the health of everyone we serve. Sharp is not for profit, but for people, which means all of our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sharp HealthCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sharp HealthCare CEO Mike Murphy. All 70 reviews posted anonymously by Sharp HealthCare employees.