Sharp HealthCare

Sharp HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance(in 6 reviews)

• Large organization and numerous facilities throughout San Diego(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is the LOWEST in San Diego even though the Sharp Hospital system is one of the LARGEST in(in 4 reviews)

• Health care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way(in 3 reviews)

Excellent environment to contribute

Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe work environment is positive and the co-workers/bosses are a pleasure work with, the work is meaningful and worth doing with helping patients and to provide a healing atmosphere. The benefits are good and competitive, good pay, work-life balance, stable work environment, and I enjoy the work that I do.

ConsThere are not too much con that I could think of; however, there are some office politics...as in any company. The facilities are a little old which needs to be upgrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum with continuous process improvement and strategic capital investments for growth.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Too much hypocrisy

Nurse RN (Current Employee)

ProsTakes a lot to get fired

ConsPatient safety is talked about more than ached on.
    Favoritism if your part of the inner circle you can get away with being mean and nasty.
    Most of the directors and above lie on a routine basis..oh wait they don't lie, they massage the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk

Great Company

ProsVision and pro growth for our community

ConsFragmented areas and practices with the system

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start and end a career

Pharmacy Tech (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsStable and decent pay for easy work

ConsNot much growth, hard to get promotions unless you are well networked

Former 20+ years working as an RN

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice new hospital building. (Not all nurses work in the new building though) It is a very professional and good environment to work in. Standards are very high. Support is good for new graduates. Yearly cheerleading in the Sharp Experience presentation. Helps to make you proud to be a Sharp nurse!!

ConsHas traditionally always paid 3-4 dollars per hour less than other San Diego hospital systems. Poorly staffed with aides. Usually the aide gets pulled to be a sitter!!!! No one really takes a break other than lunch. Breaks are always interrupted by the phones, which we are not supposed to have to carry, but, if no break nurse is established, you have it. Must bring lunch because the cafeteria is too busy at lunch and too far away to get back up to the floor to eat food in the lounge in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement fully aware that the California safe staffing laws are not being followed when there is no time for breaks, no aides, spreading staff too thinly, but, do nothing about it.!!!!!

Good pay and health benefits but limited growth

ProsHigh pay in salaries for IT professionals. Very good health benefits. You will have a chance to work with many smart and nice people in the IT field.

ConsYour job will be specialized into a small area of your experience. It would be a con for people who would like to expand their skill set. Silly bonus systems. The higher you are on the ladder of management the higher percentage of bonus you'd get. The people like us who make them look good would get a few hundred bucks a year as bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees opportunities to learn other technologies. Change your bonus systems.

Sharp chula

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for

ConsMy manager was dishonest very judgmental

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to your employees and about your employees

Good company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is an employee driven company. Team player environment.

ConsHealth care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way.

Business Intelligence Analyst

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsSharp is all about striving toward quality.

ConsPatient Financial Services for the medical groups needs a serious makeover

SHARP only values their patients, not the hard working employees

PA (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWorked as a physician assistant for 10 years.

ConsPoor management from immediate supervisor. Quick to blame without looking at all the facts first. No apologies when they are incorrect. Quick to believe the comments of others before getting your side of the story. Complaints do not go thru the normal channels. If an MD has an issue with a physician assistant, upper management and HR are quick to believe the MD. Large egos. HR is a function of management, so they will be biased, siding with MD. Anyone under the level of a doctor is expendable. No camaraderie. Backstabbing and harassment occurs. Be careful about reporting it or you will be terminated. MD's annually evaluate the physicians assistants (and nurse practitioners). However, the mid-levels are not allowed to evaluate the MD's. This is sad as physician assistants work hand in hand with MD's. If there is poor camaraderie, pt management, etc. between Midlevels and MD's, it can not be reflected on yearly evals. MD's and upper management have their own interest in mind. Additionally, Midlevels Are not allowed to vote for department chair, per the medical director. He states because it is not written in the bylaws of SRS. Midlevels should have a voice in who they will be working under. There are definitely some MD's that are not fond of Midlevels.

End of the year bonuses are appreciated by the Midlevels, however nowhere in comparison to the MD's. I received an end of the year bonus. My net take home on that bonus was $1700. And I work 5 days a week! I don't even have a half day off during the week, like all the MD's are privileged to. When I spoke with with a fellow MD, he said his net take home bonus was 90% more than I took home. You do the math! My poor nurse had an end of the year bonus of $250.

SHARP really values surveys and patient satisfaction. However, when it comes to employees, they do not value them and treat them poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMidlevels need a Union.

Worked for Sharp HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!