Sharp HealthCare Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.5

Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy
Mike Murphy

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Large organization and numerous facilities throughout San Diego (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is the LOWEST in San Diego even though the Sharp Hospital system is one of the LARGEST in (in 4 reviews)

• Health care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Current Employee - Volunteer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Professional and ability for personal growth.Teamwork skills.

Cons

Some people in different departments can be rude.

I don't know

Large Healthcare Company

Former Employee - Trainer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Trainer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Size of company offers employee perks, discounts, etc. Many opportunites for employees to move within the company and learn new positions.

Cons

Lots of movement between positions - employees don't stay in one position for long. Offices spread accross the city - obviuos hospital jobs, but also corporate positions.

HR needs to be more involved in day to day operations. Identification of positions and requires for such position should be upheld.

Great for patients not employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent medical provider and customer service. This is the place to go to for treatment but not to make a career out of, so only apply as a last resort or in desperate need of a job.

Cons

If you plan on building a career with Sharp you must be related to upper management and the pay is not the best for such a prestigious company.

Don't allow personal feelings interfere with professionalism. Base pay on education and experience not on who your friends and family members are.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Career opportunity..just being honest.

Former Employee - Lab Tech  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for full time employees.

Cons

If you work per Diem no benefits, no stable hours, employees always stub each other to the back, too many whissle blowers..jealousy and drama if you work with woman..

listen to your employees, respect and appreciate your per Diem employees. Be sincere. Stop picking on other good looking smart and in great physical shape employee, who below your title. Just get your...to the gym and start work out. Stop bugging us and give us a hard time..let be a good team work, not a bunch of a whistle blowers and boring and focus on how to become a better fun..and a good team work place...uggghh..:(

Leaves something to be desired...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On the whole, Sharp HealthCare is considered the top employer in San Diego county. In terms of quality of care, hands-down this is the best you can receive, both as a patient and as an employee. The benefits are second to none, and while the pay is below natl. avg. for IT work, it's competitive for the region. The clinical staff tend towards professionalism, yet remains a very personable group, though it pays to know when not to interrupt them.

Cons

Unfortunately, the IT division within the company suffers from lack of talent and vision. Far too many of the IT staff are trained clinicians or float pool employees whose previous professional exp. includes restocking crash carts in hospitals or bed repair in clinics, or even security. Very few of my peers hold CS degrees,if they hold any degree at all, and with apologies to UofPhoenix alums, that institute is over-represented here. There is occasionally gross nepotism on display, and a general lack of interest in investing in the IT staff, such as certification training. To make matters worse, no real Enterprise Architecture has ever occurred - the AD structure is flat and our superiors flat-out refuse to recognize this as a problem. We rely on outmoded or obsolete methods and tools, and we seem to have a fetish for bucking the industry standards that most every other business depends on - and this fetish is bragged about as if somehow it makes us unique and special. If healthcare wasn't a zero-competition field, this IT department would collapse under the weight of it's own hubris.

Cut the BS and recognize that in order to be better a better employer, SHCSD must recognize that they are doing pretty much everything wrong in IT. This environment is held together with bubblegum, wishes and dreams. I am actually looking forward for this IT department to implode. Mgmt. needs to dump Gartner's advice, bring in consultants with for-profit experience, maybe even actually listen to MS' recommendations and scrap our current AD environment and start. The. Eff. Over. Encourage and expect industry-level certifications and training for staff, and be willing to recognize the staff we don't actually need, which is a good third of the department.

Encountered Problems With Management

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

When it comes to training provisions and instructional certifications, SHARP Healthcare is one of the best places to receive such training. It does not matter whether you hold a CEO position or if you hold position in subordination; everyone works as a team player and puts in the extra effort with the job they do. This also means taking pride in any work one is specifically assigned to do.

Cons

Since this was about 10 years back when I first came to work for SH, I encountered no problems with their benefits and incentives, but I did encounter very limited job growth, not unless one is willing to apply for an open position that may require a transfer to the next department over. However, one can encounter a minor bias with the salary structure. One needs to remember that individuals who are at the bottom of the totem pole are likely to work three times as hard with lesser pay, and that is the sad truth about SH

Another relative of mine used to work for SH, and she claimed to have experienced some form of discrimination during her tenure as a nurse. I did what I could not to take her personal claims to extreme, but I have encountered unfair management practices and being written up a few times along with a co-worker, and was forced to sign a letter preventing me from filing a complaint to higher management about the incident(s) occurring at the facility. I was not even offered any kind statement explaining what my employee rights were, and I also remembered feeling manipulated and threatened by my supervisor. What my supervisor did, i personally thought, was unprofessional at the time and I'm surprised that she was even allowed to get away with it. Well, every employee at SH needs to remember the basis for working as a team and believe that every individual deserves to work in a conducive, non-threatening, professional environment. Providing excellence to patient coordination of care is always the first priority, so I don't see how co-workers being scathy and nasty to each other will benefit to that kind of excellence and productivity in a healthcare setting or any kind of work setting for that matter.

Very positive and affirming place to work.

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Therapist  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Supportive, great staff, concerned about continuing education, good pay and benefits

Cons

schedule varied more than I wanted, lack of office space.

Consider space planning and the effects on staff moral.

Best Healthcare system to work for in San Diego.

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sharp makes sure to put a great emphasis on patient car, teaching their employees to treat eacho patient as if they were family. Working in the lab, we do not get much patient interaction, however, we are taught to treat each specimen as if it was a patient. Also, managemet is open to take in new people with no experience, but with proper credentials, in order to let them grow as professionals.

Cons

I can only speak for the lab department since it is the department that I work for. Communication between leads is not the best, but I can say that there is a great effort to resolve this issue.

The only thing I would suggest is to create a better communication system between leads and employees. There are leads who already have weekly huddles with their respective teams, which is great, but, in my opinion, it would be awesome if all leads had this kinds of weekly meetings. Other than that, I would say to keep up the good work!

Very Good Organization Overall

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sharp HealthCare is a very good organization overall. The Sharp Experience advertised on radio and television is a true reflection of a culture focused on providing excellent patient care and customer experience. Pay and benefits are generally competitive with the San Diego market. There are opportunities to participate on initiatives and projects that provide professional growth for employees who are interested and willing.

Cons

Job security is a concern at Sharp HealthCare's managed services organization, Sharp Community Medical Group, due to recent changes in leadership, restructuring, and elimination of positions.

Budget adequate human resources and timelines for projects and initiatives rather than always expecting exempt staff to"just get it done".

Excellent environment to contribute

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment is positive and the co-workers/bosses are a pleasure work with, the work is meaningful and worth doing with helping patients and to provide a healing atmosphere. The benefits are good and competitive, good pay, work-life balance, stable work environment, and I enjoy the work that I do.

Cons

There are not too much con that I could think of; however, there are some office politics...as in any company. The facilities are a little old which needs to be upgrade.

Keep up the momentum with continuous process improvement and strategic capital investments for growth.

Worked for Sharp HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!