Sharp HealthCare

Sharp HealthCare Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy

Mike Murphy

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Large organization and numerous facilities throughout San Diego (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is the LOWEST in San Diego even though the Sharp Hospital system is one of the LARGEST in (in 4 reviews)

• Health care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very positive and affirming place to work.

Behavioral Health Therapist (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSupportive, great staff, concerned about continuing education, good pay and benefits

Consschedule varied more than I wanted, lack of office space.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider space planning and the effects on staff moral.

Best Healthcare system to work for in San Diego.

Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSharp makes sure to put a great emphasis on patient car, teaching their employees to treat eacho patient as if they were family. Working in the lab, we do not get much patient interaction, however, we are taught to treat each specimen as if it was a patient. Also, managemet is open to take in new people with no experience, but with proper credentials, in order to let them grow as professionals.

ConsI can only speak for the lab department since it is the department that I work for. Communication between leads is not the best, but I can say that there is a great effort to resolve this issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing I would suggest is to create a better communication system between leads and employees. There are leads who already have weekly huddles with their respective teams, which is great, but, in my opinion, it would be awesome if all leads had this kinds of weekly meetings. Other than that, I would say to keep up the good work!

Excellent environment to contribute

Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe work environment is positive and the co-workers/bosses are a pleasure work with, the work is meaningful and worth doing with helping patients and to provide a healing atmosphere. The benefits are good and competitive, good pay, work-life balance, stable work environment, and I enjoy the work that I do.

ConsThere are not too much con that I could think of; however, there are some office politics...as in any company. The facilities are a little old which needs to be upgrade.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the momentum with continuous process improvement and strategic capital investments for growth.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much hypocrisy

Nurse RN (Current Employee)

ProsTakes a lot to get fired

ConsPatient safety is talked about more than ached on.
    Favoritism if your part of the inner circle you can get away with being mean and nasty.
    Most of the directors and above lie on a routine basis..oh wait they don't lie, they massage the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk

Great Company

ProsVision and pro growth for our community

ConsFragmented areas and practices with the system

Great place to start and end a career

Pharmacy Tech (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsStable and decent pay for easy work

ConsNot much growth, hard to get promotions unless you are well networked

Good pay and health benefits but limited growth

ProsHigh pay in salaries for IT professionals. Very good health benefits. You will have a chance to work with many smart and nice people in the IT field.

ConsYour job will be specialized into a small area of your experience. It would be a con for people who would like to expand their skill set. Silly bonus systems. The higher you are on the ladder of management the higher percentage of bonus you'd get. The people like us who make them look good would get a few hundred bucks a year as bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees opportunities to learn other technologies. Change your bonus systems.

Former 20+ years working as an RN

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice new hospital building. (Not all nurses work in the new building though) It is a very professional and good environment to work in. Standards are very high. Support is good for new graduates. Yearly cheerleading in the Sharp Experience presentation. Helps to make you proud to be a Sharp nurse!!

ConsHas traditionally always paid 3-4 dollars per hour less than other San Diego hospital systems. Poorly staffed with aides. Usually the aide gets pulled to be a sitter!!!! No one really takes a break other than lunch. Breaks are always interrupted by the phones, which we are not supposed to have to carry, but, if no break nurse is established, you have it. Must bring lunch because the cafeteria is too busy at lunch and too far away to get back up to the floor to eat food in the lounge in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement fully aware that the California safe staffing laws are not being followed when there is no time for breaks, no aides, spreading staff too thinly, but, do nothing about it.!!!!!

Sharp chula

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company to work for

ConsMy manager was dishonest very judgmental

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to your employees and about your employees

Good company overall

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is an employee driven company. Team player environment.

ConsHealth care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way.

Worked for Sharp HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!