Sharp HealthCare Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

3.6

Sharp HealthCare President & CEO Mike Murphy
Mike Murphy

Pros
  • Good benefits, good work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Large organization and numerous facilities throughout San Diego (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is the LOWEST in San Diego even though the Sharp Hospital system is one of the LARGEST in (in 4 reviews)

• Health care as a whole is changing and Sharp is loosing a little of the patients best interest along the way (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Large Healthcare Company

Former Employee - Trainer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Trainer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sharp HealthCare as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Size of company offers employee perks, discounts, etc. Many opportunites for employees to move within the company and learn new positions.

Cons

Lots of movement between positions - employees don't stay in one position for long. Offices spread accross the city - obviuos hospital jobs, but also corporate positions.

HR needs to be more involved in day to day operations. Identification of positions and requires for such position should be upheld.

Very Good Organization Overall

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sharp HealthCare is a very good organization overall. The Sharp Experience advertised on radio and television is a true reflection of a culture focused on providing excellent patient care and customer experience. Pay and benefits are generally competitive with the San Diego market. There are opportunities to participate on initiatives and projects that provide professional growth for employees who are interested and willing.

Cons

Job security is a concern at Sharp HealthCare's managed services organization, Sharp Community Medical Group, due to recent changes in leadership, restructuring, and elimination of positions.

Budget adequate human resources and timelines for projects and initiatives rather than always expecting exempt staff to"just get it done".

Very positive and affirming place to work.

Current Employee - Behavioral Health Therapist  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Health Therapist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Supportive, great staff, concerned about continuing education, good pay and benefits

Cons

schedule varied more than I wanted, lack of office space.

Consider space planning and the effects on staff moral.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Healthcare system to work for in San Diego.

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sharp makes sure to put a great emphasis on patient car, teaching their employees to treat eacho patient as if they were family. Working in the lab, we do not get much patient interaction, however, we are taught to treat each specimen as if it was a patient. Also, managemet is open to take in new people with no experience, but with proper credentials, in order to let them grow as professionals.

Cons

I can only speak for the lab department since it is the department that I work for. Communication between leads is not the best, but I can say that there is a great effort to resolve this issue.

The only thing I would suggest is to create a better communication system between leads and employees. There are leads who already have weekly huddles with their respective teams, which is great, but, in my opinion, it would be awesome if all leads had this kinds of weekly meetings. Other than that, I would say to keep up the good work!

Excellent environment to contribute

Current Employee - Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment is positive and the co-workers/bosses are a pleasure work with, the work is meaningful and worth doing with helping patients and to provide a healing atmosphere. The benefits are good and competitive, good pay, work-life balance, stable work environment, and I enjoy the work that I do.

Cons

There are not too much con that I could think of; however, there are some office politics...as in any company. The facilities are a little old which needs to be upgrade.

Keep up the momentum with continuous process improvement and strategic capital investments for growth.

Too much hypocrisy

Current Employee - Nurse RN
    Current Employee - Nurse RN

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare for more than 10 years

Pros

Takes a lot to get fired

Cons

Patient safety is talked about more than ached on.
    Favoritism if your part of the inner circle you can get away with being mean and nasty.
    Most of the directors and above lie on a routine basis..oh wait they don't lie, they massage the truth.

Walk the talk

Great Company

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare

Pros

Vision and pro growth for our community

Cons

Fragmented areas and practices with the system

Great place to start and end a career

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable and decent pay for easy work

Cons

Not much growth, hard to get promotions unless you are well networked

Good pay and health benefits but limited growth

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time

Pros

High pay in salaries for IT professionals. Very good health benefits. You will have a chance to work with many smart and nice people in the IT field.

Cons

Your job will be specialized into a small area of your experience. It would be a con for people who would like to expand their skill set. Silly bonus systems. The higher you are on the ladder of management the higher percentage of bonus you'd get. The people like us who make them look good would get a few hundred bucks a year as bonuses.

Give employees opportunities to learn other technologies. Change your bonus systems.

Former 20+ years working as an RN

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time

Pros

Nice new hospital building. (Not all nurses work in the new building though) It is a very professional and good environment to work in. Standards are very high. Support is good for new graduates. Yearly cheerleading in the Sharp Experience presentation. Helps to make you proud to be a Sharp nurse!!

Cons

Has traditionally always paid 3-4 dollars per hour less than other San Diego hospital systems. Poorly staffed with aides. Usually the aide gets pulled to be a sitter!!!! No one really takes a break other than lunch. Breaks are always interrupted by the phones, which we are not supposed to have to carry, but, if no break nurse is established, you have it. Must bring lunch because the cafeteria is too busy at lunch and too far away to get back up to the floor to eat food in the lounge in a timely manner.

Management fully aware that the California safe staffing laws are not being followed when there is no time for breaks, no aides, spreading staff too thinly, but, do nothing about it.!!!!!

Worked for Sharp HealthCare? Contribute to the Community!