Shasta County

2.9

CEO

County

I have been working at Shasta County full-time

Pros

Safe, secure, position; easy job; some potential for promotion

Cons

Long time between raises and wage caps on positions

Extra help

Former Employee - Extra Help, Social Services in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Extra Help, Social Services in Redding, CA

I worked at Shasta County part-time (more than an year)

Pros

don't take an extra help position it could ruin your career

Cons

misrepresent pay, no rights whatsoever, no benefits and no real career advancement opportunity

Nickel and diming people who agree to work part time, with no benefits and then pressured to sign contracts that they can be let go at any time and for no reason is borderline unethical. In the department I landed in, the micromanager didn't have the skills and education to do her job while humiliating her subordinates. When she wanted someone gone, she made up an accusation and said "get out". Shasta County doesn't demonstrate any accountability to the community with extra help positions. They just bury the bodies of expendable people and no one asks what happened. Its disgraceful, I wouldn't work for them or recommend anyone else consider it, in their social services departments. At general meetings I heard a lot of disgusted employees. The county
     needs to deal with their heavy handed power tripping unqualified managers

bad morale in some departments

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A paycheck with benefits is great

Cons

One of my first required county wide trainings was an eye opener as coworkers from various departments shared their disgust with disrespectful managers. My own manager was not remotely qualified for her job lacking the education and skills to do quality work. She micromanaged her staff into quitting, or hating their work. She got promoted for that and this seems to be how the county rewards arrogance and incompetence. Arrogance is the operative word when dealing with management.

Listen to your employees and realize there is a morale issue that could be improved if you provided any indication that you cared for your staff's career and well-being

Another Government Clone

Current Employee - Cog In the Wheel in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Cog In the Wheel in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a government job its a secure postion and there is opportunity for advancement if you fit in and know what you are doing.

Cons

Very Clicky, government is adverse to change and runs at a snails pace which makes innovation and change very difficult. Government is risk-adverse and employees are afraid of making mistake and there is alot of CYA going on or blaming somone else. Morale is not very good.

Wow! Where do I start....Communication is not very good between upper management and those below so they need to fix that. Also Managment should help with morale bring inspiration to the work place tell people they are doing a good job make it a place where people want to go to work not just some 9 to 5 job where you collect a paycheck. Where there is a lack of vision the people perish. Alot of employees are adverse to taking the lead or promoting a new idea as that is not enouraged within managment. There is alot of dead weight in the lower job functions as well but thats another question.

Food Service Associate

Former Employee - Food Service Associate in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service Associate in Redding, CA

I worked at Shasta County part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, flexible hours for a student

Cons

Minimum wage, no benefits, drama

OK

Current Employee - Ew2 in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Ew2 in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good job, nice people to work with

Cons

not good benefits, cost too much

lessen the cost of benefits, give cost of living raise

Lots of favoritism, seniority is never considered

Current Employee - Social Worker II in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Social Worker II in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County

Pros

It is one of the top paying organizations in this area,

Cons

They are not supportive of line staff, two many superviors with large salaries who do little

Restore the money and benefits taken from the line staff, 6 percent of pay, required to pay our retirement in full whereas county paid in past, these deductions were suppose to be temporary now they are permanent, Quit hiring positions that are high salary, we have way to many supervisors. Recongize senority not who socializes better with management, get rid of the good ol boys network and their power and control. Lets become like most counties professional and to serve the people, not themselves.

Public Works is a good Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County

Pros

The work has been interesting, the opportunities good, management is receptive to ideas and concerns and within the Department there is a very positive work environment.

Cons

It is government so don't go in thinking you will change everything. Understand that government agencies must function differently from private firms. Take the not so good with the good and understand that things could be so much worse.

Within my Department I am very satisfied. I have heard some dissatisfaction from other Departments, but I can't speak to that.