Shavlik Technologies

www.shavlik.com

Shavlik Technologies Reviews

4.1

Mark Shavlik

Great company to work for

I worked at Shavlik Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment, direct contribution to product success and every one worked to ship high quality software on time

Cons

I have nothing to say here, it was a great experience

Cronyism anyone?

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Roseville, MN

I worked at Shavlik Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The technical staff was very good. Good communication and sense of community. Technical support was also top notch.

Cons

Executive team (i.e. Mr Shavlik) wouldn't know a talented individual if it bit him in the..... I witnessed him go through 1 or 2 executive per year during my 4 year stint.

Also, since Mr Shavlik is a former developer himself, his efforts to promote a 'wall of fame' and put up the worse examples engineers in the company was very demoralizing. Let's take a walk down memory lane. Let's suppose you were a consulting company (i.e. Shavlik circa early late 90s) and you had an employee who couldn't stay employed at a client site (for whatever reasons clients don't like contractors/consultants). I would imagine he would be a good candidate to work on an internal pet-project. Now, if that pet project was a good idea (i.e. HFNetChk) then that individual was inline (no matter what his/her talent level was) to be a favored son/daughter if the pet project took off. Fast forward to the mid 00's and you're at Shavlik. The favored son/daughter who couldn't stay employed as a consultant but honored by the CEO because of opportunity to implement a good idea.

Let someone else manage talent evaluation. You have shown time and time again that you are very talented in finding/defining a market need but don't know talent at all.

A rewarding place to work

Former Employee - Engineer in Roseville, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Roseville, MN

I worked at Shavlik Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, smart staff on all fronts
    Good leadership in Sales

Cons

The free soda didn't help my diet.

Keep doing what you are doing

Great Technology, Great Developers, Lousy Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

I have been working at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

Free soda - any flavor you want. Great products and super smart developers. Sales people care about the customers.

Cons

The company runs through executives like crazy. They bring in personal acquaintances, make them a VP, then fire them after a year or two. They overpay developers so they can't leave and go anywhere else without getting a pay cut. Projects take way longer than they should.

Great Place to Work- with a few caveates

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New Brighton, MN
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New Brighton, MN

I worked at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

Management is very fair and reasonable
    Genuine attempts to create a fun environment- events, activities, etc.
    Nice little perks- free soda! Others
    GREAT product, strong engineering focus
    Collaborative. SMEs are accessible
    Pay is fair, but if you do well your pay gets cut/quota goes way up the next year (not overly unusual I guess)
    Can-do attitude. Morale is generally very good
    Healthy work-life, relatively little pressure on sales/others. They expect you are a professional

Cons

Not a lot of vision. They want to grow but aren't putting a strategy together to do so.
    Huge channel conflicts here. EXPECT one of your largest competitors to be your very own product- via OEM and private label "partnerships."
    Has given up on gaining business from large enterprises
    Promotions seem to be based on who you know
    Pressure to tow the corporate line. If you disagree with mgt direction, better to just keep quiet
    Revolving door at the top- Those who disagree with the CEO end up out of work.
    Periodic product quality problems- overall it's great, but QA has dropped the ball.

You do a great job in many ways. You want to grow the business. Great! Get some new ideas to grow product offerings. Decide whether you want to sell directly or be an OEM company- if you keep creating obstacles for sales, your "A" players will leave.. Now pat yourself on the back for creating a positive work environment, great products and a profitable company.

You really feel like you're making a difference at Shavlik!

Current Employee - Operations in New Brighton, MN
    Current Employee - Operations in New Brighton, MN

I have been working at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

Shavlik is a leader in technology security. This 125+ global organization does so much with little manpower. Everyone who works at Shavlik is dedicated to the company and wants to see it succeed. Even in the Operations capacity, you really feel like you're making a difference in how the business is run. You know you're making positive contributions to the success of the organization. We've got great people, who work hard and are extremely intelligent. It's a great atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes we get moving so fast, whether it's the launch of a new product, rolling out a new promo - it's hard to catch your breath. Lucky for me, I enjoy the fast-pace and excitement of it all. It's dynamic!

Continue to do your best at keeping the company small-sized. It's a great group you have right now and we all feel like we're doing our part to make the company successful.

It's a private company

I have been working at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

Great benefits, good pay. Most of the people are friendly, and we have fun events. The work environment is good.

Cons

Direction changes constantly. We never seem to know where we are going, and management doesn't seem to want to fill us in.

Increasing communication would be helpful.

One of the best companies I've worked for!

I have been working at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

Shavlik Technologies offers a great mix of technical challenges and an excellent work environment that make it a great place to work. I appreciate the attention that's given to agile development and top notch software.

Cons

Sometimes in such a fast paced environment, communication between different levels of management can be very important.

Continue building a great company and great products.

Shavlik gave me a satisfying sense of contribution to a better world. That is a powerful feeling which makes a job fun.

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

Ideas that came up at the watercooler were given due consideration by an incredibly competent engineering core.
    When ideas were incorporated, Shavlik's size allowed it to work at a fast pace and produce impactful results.

Cons

Because of the small size, your job and performance can individually and noticably impact customers, for good or bad. I always felt a bit more pressure than the average job to be at the top of my game. That can be a great thing, yet it also used intense energy.

There was much feedback in regards to goals and the company position in relation to those goals. I would have liked to see more about the future technologies and trends, and stragegy to get there.

Shavlik is exceptional when it comes to providing a great work environment

I have been working at Shavlik Technologies

Pros

The atmosphere is dynamic and there is an energy that makes it fun to work in. It is some of the best people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Still small and we are changing who we are which is sometime hard but I believe in the people here to make anything happen.

Keep listening to your people and keep having fun. Don't buy into the big company mentality and keep being agile and scrappy.