Shaw Communications

Updated December 8, 2014
3.2

Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw
Bradley S. Shaw

Pros
  • Company really does try to ensure employees have a work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Really good benefits with an easy going work environment (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • stress a work-life balance but schedule you only on evening and weekend shifts (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible senior management in the area that I worked in (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to start to gain work experience

Current Employee - Project Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team environment and fun people to work with. Quite relaxed office environment, yet fast paced changes occur regularly.

Cons

Middle management is atrocious, no managerial experience or skills, micro management, no real understanding or empathy for the teams and daily challenges. Lots of verbal discussions, but little action. Systems are ancient and don't do the job properly.

You need to be aligned so that the teams are not getting mixed messages. A roadmap, planning and organizing for future growth and team expansion would be a huge benefit instead of scrambling when things get busy and the teams are already frustrated and overworked..

Decent place to camp out while you find your next job.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Average benefits - but you do get discounts on Shaw products (cable or satellite TV, Internet, etc.). Recent move to flex benefits may be better for some employees.

Cons

Limited opportunity to advance - unless your last name is Shaw.
    Limited training opportunities available to IT employees. Leadership is too focused on keeping costs low developing talented people.

Stop micromanaging and really empower people to deliver results.

Its good for IT beginners. Not something to stick with...

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice pay for recent graduates.
    Perks for being employee.
    Senior Management give you time to learn the stuff

Cons

Not challenging at all.
    Nothing new happens you are doing something which is already done hundred times before you

Take a break. You need to get the new systems. Your company is in desperate need for innovation.

Horrible Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits and definitely personal growth to realize I would never work for a company like this again. Took the skills I learned to build my own company and manage it by not doing what they did.

Cons

Office politics have a huge impact on when and where you move up in the company. The call center was okay. Lots of drama with who can kiss better butt. Poorly managed team structures. I feel bad for the upper management for choosing who they chose to manage some of the teams. For a "family business" they fall far from the mark in terms of decent human interaction. HR team is bunch of bullies. On more than one occasion, there have been workers in tears because some of the HR reps have been known to come after them due to siding with management when they are supposed to be a non-biased neutral party trying to resolve conflicts in the workplace. HR reps are known in the company to bully when they are to prevent bullying. As an employee, you should not be afraid to go to HR when you feel like you need assistance. When I use the term bullying, I mean it. I'm not using term for the sake of trying to get my point across but it is what it is, right? More than a few of my former colleagues have had to appeal to the labor board due to their issues. Too many horror stories to count.

I've dealt with horrible direct management. My supervisor had no idea what they were doing. My supervisor was given the role and had not earned it apparently. Be careful who you are putting in a management position to deal with employees directly. Some are not following what "plans" you have for the company but rather going on power trips. Make a plan and stick to it. The vision is constantly changing and people who would've spent years continuing to work for you have left because of poor management. From a business perspective, I'd rather have a long time employee than spend money on constantly backfilling positions and training new employees.

Poor management

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has great benefits and stock options. Great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the industry and connect with other people in the field.

Cons

This company unfortunately is poorly run. There are no room for true leadership, and management is always scrambling to impress the higher ups, leaving the blame and responsibility on their employees. Not much room for growth in company as managers frown upon leaving departments for other areas of interest and there is little upward mobility. The weirdest thing? There's was a rule that you can only have two personal items on your desk, and the COO would walk around enforcing this rule.

Office culture needs to be developed.

Apply if you're a fan of mediocre wages, brutal scheduling and incredible benefits

Current Employee - Technical Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great, there's absolutely no question.
    Training decent enough, nothing to write home about but certainly adequate.
    Decent people working there, larger group sizes.

Cons

Work life balance is not good. I've noticed a few people say it is but in my opinion it's not. The schedulers seems nothing short of talent-less.
    If you like working 10 days in eleven, sporadic hours, and enjoy seeing your peers get significantly better schedules seemingly based on the alphabetical order of their name (with a few random exceptions to throw you off) then this is the place for you.

Get some new schedulers... you've employed some real sleepers. It doesn't take a great deal of creativity or imagination to construct schedules in an intuitive way that can meet peoples needs. In my view if scheduling could be done with half the class and integrity in which you've put together the benefits package Shaw would be hands down one of the greatest organizations to work for, instead it's a little bit better than retail compensation wise with a worse schedule.

Great people in the company but has its ups and downs

Former Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefit and promote work life balance. Compensation is not the best in oil city but fair. Great employee discount for Shaw products.

Cons

Company has always been talking about training, but it's always been just lip service. In various promotions, it not necessary the best candidate gets the job but who you know.

Remember our history and the people that got us to where we are. Mgmt. at all levels need to surround themselves with not just the people they know or like, but based on what is in the best interest of the company, share holders and customers.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Support Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

From IT, they have a Work Life Balance

Cons

Some Leads are not appropriate to be a Team Lead

A good place to start, but don't stay forever.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Typical large-company work environment. There is definitely room to advance within the company, other positions in other departments open up all the time and mobility is fairly easy. Average starting wage and benefits. The share purchase plan is a solid deal if they're still offering it.

Compared to the competition, they *do* try harder to serve customers. Technical departments "get it" and don't mess with connections, throttling, etc. Towards the end of my time there there was an initiative to improve management and actually listen to feedback from customers and front-line reps that sparked a few small but welcome improvements - I'm not sure how this has continued.

Cons

The absolute poster-boy of a publicly-traded company that has reached market saturation. Rate hikes and new fees abound. Pressure is on all public-facing reps to sell, sell, sell. Quality of the technical support suffered as sales were recognized above other metrics. Corporate drone-hood and we-speak is prevalent and soul-destroying. Low-level management was focused entirely on metrics and paperwork.

Early in my time there the responsible VP would cut, cut, cut until we were working on laughably outdated hardware and broken screens.

Billing system is 30+ years old and despite many, many attempts no one can seem to get the act together enough to actually replace it with something that does not bog down productivity (or anything, really).

Training of front-line reps is lacking and did not improve over my time there - simple mistakes are repeated over and over.

And those hold times cable companies are famous for? They could be drastically reduced easily, but that requires too much money, so they're happy with things the way they are, which is very stressful. The biggest drop in average wait times always came when new reps were hired. Butts in seats get the job done.

Finally - this is a family-owned company, which means senior management is by no means the best qualified for the job - they had them handed out from Dad years ago.

I recommend this company only because it's a great way to start a career out of college, but move up out of customer service or on to something else by 18 months at most. There are much better places out there.

Invest in the things that keep customers happy instead of hoovering up your own stock to keep it going.

"people powered" not so much

Current Employee - Test Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Test Lead in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Shaw over ten years ago. The individual contributor to lower leadership has some of the best people you will find in a career.

Cons

The reorgs happen often. There is no future long term planning at Shaw. Over hire, fire. Watch amazing people leave and watch your own workload triple with no compensation. Long term I am sad I wasted so many years of my career in such a toxic environment. I am in the process of leaving and look forward to handing in my resignation.

Treat people like the asset that they actually are. The new model of rewarding management based solely on hitting budget is fundamentally flawed and will not produce a happy balanced work environment (or long term highly productive staff).