Shaw Communications

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw

Bradley S. Shaw

Pros:
  • "Really good benefits with an easy going work environment"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Company really does try to ensure employees have a work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "stress a work-life balance but schedule you only on evening and weekend shifts"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Terrible senior management in the area that I worked in"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lagging company that needs to step into the present before moving to any future.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the best people, it's the hardest part of leaving! Best benefits pkg and starts day 1.

ConsWhile some managers do a great job, there are many that need to go. It's hard dealing with terrible supervisors or managers. After working here for a few years you feel as though the life is sucked out of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementForget the future; Shaw needs to step into the present. Many of the company processes are so archaic. There's software programs that can do more than excel spreadsheets and paper and pen.

A good place to start, but don't stay forever.

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTypical large-company work environment. There is definitely room to advance within the company, other positions in other departments open up all the time and mobility is fairly easy. Average starting wage and benefits. The share purchase plan is a solid deal if they're still offering it.

Compared to the competition, they *do* try harder to serve customers. Technical departments "get it" and don't mess with connections, throttling, etc. Towards the end of my time there there was an initiative to improve management and actually listen to feedback from customers and front-line reps that sparked a few small but welcome improvements - I'm not sure how this has continued.

ConsThe absolute poster-boy of a publicly-traded company that has reached market saturation. Rate hikes and new fees abound. Pressure is on all public-facing reps to sell, sell, sell. Quality of the technical support suffered as sales were recognized above other metrics. Corporate drone-hood and we-speak is prevalent and soul-destroying. Low-level management was focused entirely on metrics and paperwork.

Early in my time there the responsible VP would cut, cut, cut until we were working on laughably outdated hardware and broken screens.

Billing system is 30+ years old and despite many, many attempts no one can seem to get the act together enough to actually replace it with something that does not bog down productivity (or anything, really).

Training of front-line reps is lacking and did not improve over my time there - simple mistakes are repeated over and over.

And those hold times cable companies are famous for? They could be drastically reduced easily, but that requires too much money, so they're happy with things the way they are, which is very stressful. The biggest drop in average wait times always came when new reps were hired. Butts in seats get the job done.

Finally - this is a family-owned company, which means senior management is by no means the best qualified for the job - they had them handed out from Dad years ago.

I recommend this company only because it's a great way to start a career out of college, but move up out of customer service or on to something else by 18 months at most. There are much better places out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the things that keep customers happy instead of hoovering up your own stock to keep it going.

"people powered" not so much

Test Lead (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsI joined Shaw over ten years ago. The individual contributor to lower leadership has some of the best people you will find in a career.

ConsThe reorgs happen often. There is no future long term planning at Shaw. Over hire, fire. Watch amazing people leave and watch your own workload triple with no compensation. Long term I am sad I wasted so many years of my career in such a toxic environment. I am in the process of leaving and look forward to handing in my resignation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like the asset that they actually are. The new model of rewarding management based solely on hitting budget is fundamentally flawed and will not produce a happy balanced work environment (or long term highly productive staff).

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greedy, Greedy, Greedy

Manager (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsOpportunity for career advancement, great benefits, mostly great people.

ConsDisorganized, too many politics at management level and above. Company has been "restructured" more than once in the last 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what customers are saying before it's too late.

Good company

Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat values and culture
    As long as you are not too high in the management, you don't have to fear for your job
    Everyone smile
    amazing management team
    Never seen a power trip from higher management
    Really open-minded to suggestion and new ideas
    Easy to be promoted
    Amazing Benefits from insurrance

ConsLow salary
    Office not well located
    Crazy schedule, you work 8 hour a day but one week you can start at 6AM the other week you start at 4PM

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your current employees with better salary.

Good company

ProsBenefit ok, not much outside training, on the job training

Constoo many management level to get things done

Working for Shaw!

Customer Service Representative - Sales (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsI love the people there.

Always a fun time working at Shaw any point of the day the energy is just amazing.

ConsI would love to change the hours of our department and also fix some of the dialer issues

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on working with the team stay in touch more and always keep positive.

Great working environment

ProsThey treat employees with respect and they are always open to new ideas, innovation projects and ways to improve. However they still have a heavy managerial load and a lot of lengthy processes that make it hard for innovation to happen.

ConsSalary is below the industry average, there is no recognition for exceeding performance.

Co-op/Internships -- Highly dependent on your manager

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsShaw hires 10 Co-op students each term for Engineering department and provides some tours and lunches for the students.
    You get to learn a lot and usually the hiring manager looks for soft skills rather than technical ones.
    Work hours are flexible, generally good work culture and colleagues are generally helpful.
    Very diverse team of people from different countries and experiences.

ConsSome managers may be very hard to chase down and not very helpful.
    Some managers might not be good at giving work or managing co-op students.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter brief the managers about the co-op program and project requirements.

"Field Support Representative"

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsIn TSD - Great teamwork and staff, technical skills are well shared among members and great cooperation across multi-functional teams. Pretty casual at work and awesome technical Support team.

ConsDifficult venue for career development. Personal growth depends too much on whom you know within the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLessen the gap between Senior management and staff. Too much positions in between and difficult ladder to climb management structure for personal growth or recognition.

Worked for Shaw Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shaw Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw. All 202 reviews posted anonymously by Shaw Communications employees.