Shaw Communications

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw

Bradley S. Shaw

Pros
  • Company really does try to ensure employees have a work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• Really good benefits with an easy going work environment(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • stress a work-life balance but schedule you only on evening and weekend shifts(in 7 reviews)

• Terrible senior management in the area that I worked in(in 8 reviews)

Great Place to Work as long as you Kiss butt

Customer Service Represenatative-Billing (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat pay, flexible schedule,

ConsSupervisors who micro manage you, only way to advance is kiss supervisors butt, to many cliques. Big brother is watching.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing your staff, give some breathing room for employees who have a life outside of Shaw. Consider
    that not every employee wants to devote their life to Shaw. There is a world outside of Shaw and some of your employees want to experience it.

It was okay, it wasn't too ambiguous.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gloucester, MA

ProsReally streamlined simple process for work

ConsWay too simple and not any room for growth for those who want it

Advice to Senior ManagementWay too simple and not any room for growth for those who want it

Empowered to save and strengthen our customer relationships at high risk of switching to our competitors, Shaw’s Loyalty

Pros- Awesome leadership
    - Amazing career opportunities if you have a good attitude
    - Positive work environment

ConsTurnover can be stressful at times, however this is the case for any large corporation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing !

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Welcome back to high school BS

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros- benefits are all I can say

Cons- NO work life balance
    - supervisors do nothing all day except hop sup desk to sup desk discussing nothing work related and they take off whenever they want for however long they want when the big boss is out of the office
    - employees are constantly given mixed signals about what to be doing

Advice to Senior ManagementGet supervisors who have some actual management skills and not who can stick their nose furthest up the bosses butt

Watch your supervisors as much as you have them watching the csr, tsr.

Roulette wheel of priorities

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsSalary and Benefits are reasonable , career options are many. New focus on hiring the right people. High energy.

ConsLack of direction , company vision seems to change annually . If there is a 5 year plan , no one is sharing.Far too many barriers in communication between departments. Simple tasks are a challenge .System support issues are continuous and sometimes crippling. People do not stay in their roles long enough to promote harmony and competency.

Advice to Senior ManagementRebuild (or introduce) an on boarding process with an extensive training component to engage all front line employees . Stop adding more tools...fix and reduce the ones that exist. Focus on keeping existing customers .their loyalty will promote new ones...and higher share prices

Meh

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Victoria, BC (Canada)

ProsThey have great benefits and coverage

ConsOpportunities are slim to move on or up. No support to get there.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible work environment. Can explore new technolgy

Conssome change on the management and has to adapt to change

Good company, nice people, unfocused management

ProsWork life balance, respect, nice working environment.

ConsSometimes you don't get to learn new things,
    Management needs to be more focused

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision and stick with it.

Poor management

Project Coordinator (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe company has great benefits and stock options. Great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the industry and connect with other people in the field.

ConsThis company unfortunately is poorly run. There are no room for true leadership, and management is always scrambling to impress the higher ups, leaving the blame and responsibility on their employees. Not much room for growth in company as managers frown upon leaving departments for other areas of interest and there is little upward mobility. The weirdest thing? There's was a rule that you can only have two personal items on your desk, and the COO would walk around enforcing this rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture needs to be developed.

Apply if you're a fan of mediocre wages, brutal scheduling and incredible benefits

Technical Service Representative (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsBenefits are great, there's absolutely no question.
    Training decent enough, nothing to write home about but certainly adequate.
    Decent people working there, larger group sizes.

ConsWork life balance is not good. I've noticed a few people say it is but in my opinion it's not. The schedulers seems nothing short of talent-less.
    If you like working 10 days in eleven, sporadic hours, and enjoy seeing your peers get significantly better schedules seemingly based on the alphabetical order of their name (with a few random exceptions to throw you off) then this is the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some new schedulers... you've employed some real sleepers. It doesn't take a great deal of creativity or imagination to construct schedules in an intuitive way that can meet peoples needs. In my view if scheduling could be done with half the class and integrity in which you've put together the benefits package Shaw would be hands down one of the greatest organizations to work for, instead it's a little bit better than retail compensation wise with a worse schedule.

Worked for Shaw Communications? Contribute to the Community!