Shaw Communications

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw

Bradley S. Shaw

Pros:
  • "Company really does try to ensure employees have a work/life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Solid company when you are a permanent company with good benefits"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "stress a work-life balance but schedule you only on evening and weekend shifts"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Terrible senior management in the area that I worked in"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

analyst

Analyst (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Prosnice work environment, life work balance environment

Conslow salary range,career advancement , trainings

It was okay, it wasn't too ambiguous.

Gloucester, MA

I have been working at Shaw Communications

ProsReally streamlined simple process for work

ConsWay too simple and not any room for growth for those who want it

Advice to Senior ManagementWay too simple and not any room for growth for those who want it

Left CSR position to seek further education

Customer Service Representative - Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time for more than a year

ProsFor my job and its department (Customer Service), the people at Shaw (From upper management, supervisors, to fellow co-workers) attempt (with mixed success) to stress the importance of the front lines team as we were often first to hear customer views, and of course the team that actually sells what the rest of the company is employed to produce.

During my two years at Shaw, I grew to appreciate the skill involved with combining technical knowledge of internal & external systems, becoming an excellent salesperson, and handling a variety of people who I frankly had never encountered up until working at Shaw's glorified call-centre.

ConsMy greatest concern is their pay/rewards system. Every CSRs are paid hourly between $12.50 and $15 per hour and then commission on top. However, I noticed employees slacking on other aspects of customer service like billing or tech support to sell, even at times losing their integrety and entering orders for products/add-ons that were not fully explained. I saw TONS of customers claiming they were never told their deal was a promotion. Once an audit was done on employees who had entered moves under a "new sale" code instead of a move code, and not surprisingly all of the national "top sellers" were on the list several times each. As of my departure this faulty system had not changed. This costs Shaw quite a lot in unnecessary commissions, causes TONS of customer escalations down the road, and encourages employees like myself to take a good look at their futures (and the futures of cable TV, internet and home phone) and leave for something more promising.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe claims made about the "growing popularity of home phone" and cable TV were practically insulting, especially considering most of your sales force is generation Y. No one I know, not even my grandparents, own a home phone anymore, and cable TV is on its way out too. Now is the time to partner with Google or Netflix and bring Canada the internet speeds and streaming it deserves. Government regulations protect the oligopoly that Shaw and the likes (Telus) coast through in.....I would be so proud to see Shaw "get with the program" and operate more like Google and not Air Canada...I really do feel Shaw is "riding the baby boomer wave" (easy way) instead of being the first Canadian cable & internet provider to take a risk and show the rest of the world what they're made of!

A great employer with great values focused on their people and the customer experience.

I have been working at Shaw Communications

ProsPlenty of opportunity for advancement, training, and growth. A company that values its employees and creates a fun but professional work environment.

ConsMany of the best jobs/opportunities are based in Calgary. There is some opportunity to advance within sub-regions, but most opportunities are near the headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with your focus on your people

Technical Support Rep

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)
Nanaimo, BC (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications part-time for more than a year

ProsGood co-workers. Great benefits. Profit sharing. Opportunity to advance. Great staff discount on services.

ConsPoor management. Way to much push on sales for a technical support job. 24 hours a day 365 days a year so hours and days always change.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut yourself in the shoes of those working below you. Would you want to buy something when something else is broken.

Better than not being employed... Taking about CSR and TSR's role

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications part-time for more than a year

ProsGood for starting career but don't except growth until you can build off work friends...
Good benefits to make up for low hourly rate
Nothing exceptional apart from a daily routine job

ConsWhere do I start from -
Don't expect growth... seen TSR and CSR's on the same designation for years...
Management doesn't care - if the customer is spending 2 hrs on hold to speak to an agent or customer is leaving shaw and going to telus
Training - you don't learn anything but only get paid
Systems suck
Shaw people talk about Shaw core values and they can keep talking for ever without following them
Raises - forget it.. even though you are a top performer throughout the year - call stats and sales
Only care about selling services apart from resolving the customer's issue

Advice to Senior ManagementChange - Stop talking and start implementing
Make it a place for employees to work rather than stressful place
Start caring about customers else Customer might stop caring about you and your services..
I was a Shaw customer till I was employed with Shaw.. however good that I left shaw and switched to Telus and I am happy with services and customer services...!!

Great company if you're in the right department and know the right people

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTop-notch benefits plan, reasonable wages, employee discount, active social club, the best Christmas party in town

ConsManagement is aware of their shortcomings and they claim to put effort into correcting those issues, but talk is cheap and their actions are minimal at best. Training programs are seriously lacking if not completely non-existent. Passing the buck to someone else is standard operating procedure. "Yes-Men" are often rewarded with promotions while those who are grounded in reality and are better qualified routinely get overlooked (The nail that sticks up gets hammered down). Manpower shortages are routinely described as being non-issues that nothing can be done about. Middle management is a volatile place to be - one day you're the flavor of the week and the next you're out the door. Any real advancement in the company can only be attained in Calgary.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of paying lip service to the employees, actually become involved in improving engagement. Stop disregarding legitimate problems as non-issues. Realize that investing in employee education with comprehensive training programs will give you more valuable employees and improved long-term financial results.

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications part-time for less than a year

ProsGood Corporate Culture. Great job for someone without a post secondary education or who is just entering the workforce, profit sharing, stock options, benefits and chances for advancement.

ConsPay is within non-union average wage for call centers. However, average union call center wages are much higher in Vancouver and Canada.

Previous work experience and education have little weight in consideration for advancement which is a con for someone with a post secondary education or with much work experience but is a pro for someone without these traits.

Advice to Senior ManagementSetting unrealistic targets will demotivate employees rather than push them to try harder, all managers should be educated about this. Managers and employers who present unrealistic goals seem less creditable than the ones who set realistic goals. The concept of diminishing returns also applies to reviews where the investment to be recognized to excel is extensive and produces little to no benefit for the employees. Corporate values should be both top down as well bottom up.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Experience depends heavily on the team you work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shaw Communications

ProsSome incredibly talented people. Smart, great to work with and professional.

ConsConstantly changing project landscape makes it nearly impossible to get any serious work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent in what you choose to do and give it time to be built.

Not what it used to be

Editor (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation and decent benefits. Employee options and compensation are very good. Employees are encouraged to socialize

ConsClaustrophobic corporate climate can be a bit much at times. Everything seems to revolve around Alberta and BC, and everything else is an afterthought. Leadership seems soft since Jim left.

Worked for Shaw Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shaw Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by Shaw Communications employees.