Shaw Communications

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw

Bradley S. Shaw

Pros
  • Company really does try to ensure employees have a work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Really good benefits with an easy going work environment (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • stress a work-life balance but schedule you only on evening and weekend shifts (in 7 reviews)

• Terrible senior management in the area that I worked in (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A good place to start, but don't stay forever.

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsTypical large-company work environment. There is definitely room to advance within the company, other positions in other departments open up all the time and mobility is fairly easy. Average starting wage and benefits. The share purchase plan is a solid deal if they're still offering it.

Compared to the competition, they *do* try harder to serve customers. Technical departments "get it" and don't mess with connections, throttling, etc. Towards the end of my time there there was an initiative to improve management and actually listen to feedback from customers and front-line reps that sparked a few small but welcome improvements - I'm not sure how this has continued.

ConsThe absolute poster-boy of a publicly-traded company that has reached market saturation. Rate hikes and new fees abound. Pressure is on all public-facing reps to sell, sell, sell. Quality of the technical support suffered as sales were recognized above other metrics. Corporate drone-hood and we-speak is prevalent and soul-destroying. Low-level management was focused entirely on metrics and paperwork.

Early in my time there the responsible VP would cut, cut, cut until we were working on laughably outdated hardware and broken screens.

Billing system is 30+ years old and despite many, many attempts no one can seem to get the act together enough to actually replace it with something that does not bog down productivity (or anything, really).

Training of front-line reps is lacking and did not improve over my time there - simple mistakes are repeated over and over.

And those hold times cable companies are famous for? They could be drastically reduced easily, but that requires too much money, so they're happy with things the way they are, which is very stressful. The biggest drop in average wait times always came when new reps were hired. Butts in seats get the job done.

Finally - this is a family-owned company, which means senior management is by no means the best qualified for the job - they had them handed out from Dad years ago.

I recommend this company only because it's a great way to start a career out of college, but move up out of customer service or on to something else by 18 months at most. There are much better places out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the things that keep customers happy instead of hoovering up your own stock to keep it going.

"people powered" not so much

Test Lead (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsI joined Shaw over ten years ago. The individual contributor to lower leadership has some of the best people you will find in a career.

ConsThe reorgs happen often. There is no future long term planning at Shaw. Over hire, fire. Watch amazing people leave and watch your own workload triple with no compensation. Long term I am sad I wasted so many years of my career in such a toxic environment. I am in the process of leaving and look forward to handing in my resignation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like the asset that they actually are. The new model of rewarding management based solely on hitting budget is fundamentally flawed and will not produce a happy balanced work environment (or long term highly productive staff).

Greedy, Greedy, Greedy

Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsOpportunity for career advancement, great benefits, mostly great people.

ConsDisorganized, too many politics at management level and above. Company has been "restructured" more than once in the last 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what customers are saying before it's too late.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Us and them

Administrative Role (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsVery affordable employee cable service rates with phone and internet.

ConsThere is a us and them attitude at Shaw. Managers, VP's, and the executive are encouraged take part in a tribal culture that segregates the tiers. There is always a sense of feeling expendable at Shaw.

Overall pretty good, the people are great but there is a lack of direction from management

Social Media Coordinator (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsI loved the benefits, the culture they have by putting people first, and shift flexibility. A lot of room to grow, too!

ConsManagement is disconnected from the rest, with no alignment on where it is the business is going. It often feels like its people are trained to make sure everybody keeps on doing the same thing, over and over again.

Co-op/Internships -- Highly dependent on your manager

Software Developer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsShaw hires 10 Co-op students each term for Engineering department and provides some tours and lunches for the students.
    You get to learn a lot and usually the hiring manager looks for soft skills rather than technical ones.
    Work hours are flexible, generally good work culture and colleagues are generally helpful.
    Very diverse team of people from different countries and experiences.

ConsSome managers may be very hard to chase down and not very helpful.
    Some managers might not be good at giving work or managing co-op students.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter brief the managers about the co-op program and project requirements.

"Field Support Representative"

Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsIn TSD - Great teamwork and staff, technical skills are well shared among members and great cooperation across multi-functional teams. Pretty casual at work and awesome technical Support team.

ConsDifficult venue for career development. Personal growth depends too much on whom you know within the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLessen the gap between Senior management and staff. Too much positions in between and difficult ladder to climb management structure for personal growth or recognition.

analyst

Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosnice work environment, life work balance environment

Conslow salary range,career advancement , trainings

Good for a short time.....not a long time

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsLots of personal growth
    flexible schedule
    good pay

Consconstant leadership changes
    not alot of grey hair working here

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your good people and don't forget the great things they have done and continue to do.
    Best of luck finding your way thru the competitive landscape

Great work environment but not enough growth within the company.

Regional Wifi Site Advisor (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsReally good benefits with an easy going work environment.

ConsDifficult to move around within the company depending on your level of skills and the people you know. A lot of organizational change happening in 2014 so things become even tighter and more difficult. That said, more jobs are coming online. Compensation needs help, Shaw simply doesn't pay enough.

Worked for Shaw Communications? Contribute to the Community!