Shaw Communications

Updated September 27, 2014
3.2

Shaw Communications CEO Bradley S. Shaw
Bradley S. Shaw

Pros
  • Company really does try to ensure employees have a work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Really good benefits with an easy going work environment (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • stress a work-life balance but schedule you only on evening and weekend shifts (in 8 reviews)

• Terrible senior management in the area that I worked in (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Empowered to save and strengthen our customer relationships at high risk of switching to our competitors, Shaw’s Loyalty

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time

Pros

- Awesome leadership
    - Amazing career opportunities if you have a good attitude
    - Positive work environment

Cons

Turnover can be stressful at times, however this is the case for any large corporation.

Keep doing what you're doing !

Welcome back to high school BS

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- benefits are all I can say

Cons

- NO work life balance
    - supervisors do nothing all day except hop sup desk to sup desk discussing nothing work related and they take off whenever they want for however long they want when the big boss is out of the office
    - employees are constantly given mixed signals about what to be doing

Get supervisors who have some actual management skills and not who can stick their nose furthest up the bosses butt

Watch your supervisors as much as you have them watching the csr, tsr.

Roulette wheel of priorities

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary and Benefits are reasonable , career options are many. New focus on hiring the right people. High energy.

Cons

Lack of direction , company vision seems to change annually . If there is a 5 year plan , no one is sharing.Far too many barriers in communication between departments. Simple tasks are a challenge .System support issues are continuous and sometimes crippling. People do not stay in their roles long enough to promote harmony and competency.

Rebuild (or introduce) an on boarding process with an extensive training component to engage all front line employees . Stop adding more tools...fix and reduce the ones that exist. Focus on keeping existing customers .their loyalty will promote new ones...and higher share prices

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They have great benefits and coverage

Cons

Opportunities are slim to move on or up. No support to get there.

good

I worked at Shaw Communications

Pros

flexible work environment. Can explore new technolgy

Cons

some change on the management and has to adapt to change

Good company, nice people, unfocused management

I have been working at Shaw Communications

Pros

Work life balance, respect, nice working environment.

Cons

Sometimes you don't get to learn new things,
    Management needs to be more focused

Make a decision and stick with it.

Horrible Employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits and definitely personal growth to realize I would never work for a company like this again. Took the skills I learned to build my own company and manage it by not doing what they did.

Cons

Office politics have a huge impact on when and where you move up in the company. The call center was okay. Lots of drama with who can kiss better butt. Poorly managed team structures. I feel bad for the upper management for choosing who they chose to manage some of the teams. For a "family business" they fall far from the mark in terms of decent human interaction. HR team is bunch of bullies. On more than one occasion, there have been workers in tears because some of the HR reps have been known to come after them due to siding with management when they are supposed to be a non-biased neutral party trying to resolve conflicts in the workplace. HR reps are known in the company to bully when they are to prevent bullying. As an employee, you should not be afraid to go to HR when you feel like you need assistance. When I use the term bullying, I mean it. I'm not using term for the sake of trying to get my point across but it is what it is, right? More than a few of my former colleagues have had to appeal to the labor board due to their issues. Too many horror stories to count.

I've dealt with horrible direct management. My supervisor had no idea what they were doing. My supervisor was given the role and had not earned it apparently. Be careful who you are putting in a management position to deal with employees directly. Some are not following what "plans" you have for the company but rather going on power trips. Make a plan and stick to it. The vision is constantly changing and people who would've spent years continuing to work for you have left because of poor management. From a business perspective, I'd rather have a long time employee than spend money on constantly backfilling positions and training new employees.

It was pretty hellish.

Current Employee - Business Sales Consultant  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Sales Consultant in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The money was ok, and they don't hire externally for management.

Cons

It's an underfunded cult. You don't want to work in a call centre, just trust me, everyone gets sucked in and stays for too long. I literally know no one who liked their job. No one.
    They don't hire externally for management, so it's just kind of the luck of the draw re: who's going to end up supervising you.

MOVE ON.

Poor management

Former Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has great benefits and stock options. Great opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the industry and connect with other people in the field.

Cons

This company unfortunately is poorly run. There are no room for true leadership, and management is always scrambling to impress the higher ups, leaving the blame and responsibility on their employees. Not much room for growth in company as managers frown upon leaving departments for other areas of interest and there is little upward mobility. The weirdest thing? There's was a rule that you can only have two personal items on your desk, and the COO would walk around enforcing this rule.

Office culture needs to be developed.

Apply if you're a fan of mediocre wages, brutal scheduling and incredible benefits

Current Employee - Technical Service Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are great, there's absolutely no question.
    Training decent enough, nothing to write home about but certainly adequate.
    Decent people working there, larger group sizes.

Cons

Work life balance is not good. I've noticed a few people say it is but in my opinion it's not. The schedulers seems nothing short of talent-less.
    If you like working 10 days in eleven, sporadic hours, and enjoy seeing your peers get significantly better schedules seemingly based on the alphabetical order of their name (with a few random exceptions to throw you off) then this is the place for you.

Get some new schedulers... you've employed some real sleepers. It doesn't take a great deal of creativity or imagination to construct schedules in an intuitive way that can meet peoples needs. In my view if scheduling could be done with half the class and integrity in which you've put together the benefits package Shaw would be hands down one of the greatest organizations to work for, instead it's a little bit better than retail compensation wise with a worse schedule.

Worked for Shaw Communications? Contribute to the Community!