Shaw Direct

Updated July 22, 2014
2.5

Michael Abram

Lots to improve on...

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Direct full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a great culture of incorporating work and play, lots of free swag and free food is given out to employees. Incentive time is a great perk for entry level staff. The company operates as if it is a family, there is a lot of room for career advancement given your attendance is spotless and you have a great attitude and are liked by Management.
    Was able to move from an entry level role to Management, did experience a lot of personal career growth and development. Exposed to Project Management, HR and Recruiting.

Cons

Lots of long hours, rotational shifts will wear you out mentally and physically. Entered a Supervisor role but given no training, told to create my own manual for leadership but did feel pressure to be on top of abseentism and sales constantly. Supervisors given far too many responsibilities and then asked to participate in meetings for 1/2 day. You need to find a way to fill eight hours.

Too much infighting, Regional Manager wanted to create high performance teams and had monthly meetings with 60 or so leaders leading to arguments. Managers play favourites, external candidates brought in over internal candidates only to see them leave in a short time. Lack of support from Management, too much of a 'top-down' culture, expected to figure things out. Perception is reality, once you are seen one way it's very hard to change that.

very disapointing and a company with no direction or planning.

Current Employee - TSR  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - TSR in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Direct full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Has potential and can be a great company for employees and customers. Product is good.

Cons

no accountability from the company to its employees. The motto is Work life balance. yet management wont lift a finger to help their front line employees. Supervisors having extra curriculum affairs with workers is hidden and promoted as the supervisors are not fired yet employees are. no process works, they go back on their words from management to workforce to managers, even on things they had signed off on. they will say stats dont count for this month as system is new and not accurate yet, but to serve their own purposes it is all added. No care shown that employees are unhappy with scheduling and how their vaccation is handled. their forecasting sucks..and i couldnt find a stronger word than that... the manager comes and shake hands of the call center workers on days when JK from montreal is in office otherwise he is non existant. you can openly see how desperate he is for this position. supervisors promoting their favourites is turning the true gold of the company to rust. Yet everyone is blind as from managers down to call centre no one really cares and it shows. Shaw should make its employees happy and they will see how these employees turn your company around.

get rid of supervisors and get outside supervisors so you can bring more experience and enthusiasm and new ideas to promote your employees. Give a budget to the supervisors for team building even if it is to buy pizza on a team meeting. have the managers and team in same time slot..permenant evening and afternoon supervisors and teams. part timers should be floating. escallation should be transfer call to sed members who should be dedicated on daily schedule to take warm esscalations.

Good Work Place

I have been working at Shaw Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Workplace, good pay, excellent training.

Cons

Agents who are poorly Trained or too comfortable like to not do their job and most of the time get away with it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business as usual - Mississauga, Ontario

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Direct part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make no mistake, this is a call centre just like any other. The difference is that Shaw Direct pays their employees well and they have great benefits & benefits flexibility (in that you can customize your benefits options). There is room for advancement for those of you who are career oriented provided you're willing to work for it. Shaw Direct also offers perks like reduced satellite television pricing for employees (a great saving!) and they're always holding contests (with decent to great prizes) to engage the employees. You're never in the dark about your work performance either, as your supervisors monitor your calls and actively coach the call centre representatives but this also is a "negative" as well (see below for a detailed explanation as to why).

Cons

While it's great that the managers coach the CSR's, they over-coach to the point that you just don't want to come in to work. It's beyond overkill. I know my manager listens to every call and she is constantly coaching me (and everybody else on the team as well). There's a difference between coaching and harrasing your employees. This aggresive style of coaching promotes a culture of loathing and ultimately leads to indifference (on the part of the customer service agent). There is also far too much emphasis on sales/upselling. If a customer calls me to change their package to a cheaper package that works for them, why is my supervisor pushing me to promote a sale or upsell that customer? Yes the bottom line is what makes the difference between a successful business and a business that fails, but if you don't listen to your customers your competitor will, and that's the real reason we're losing customers at the alarming rate that we are. We (CSR's) are also being bombarded with unrealistic expectations to "build value" for the customer. If we don't "build value" and use "compelling statements" (statements designed to engage the customer which touch on topics such as VOD, E-Billing, the Refer A Friend program, etc.) we're penalized for it. You can actually hear the irritation and frustration in the customers voice as CSR's try to squeeze in said compelling statements just so that we're not penalized.
    Lastly you allow your employees to be "empowered" to make certain decisions. While this may seem like a positive progressive move on managements part, it's a horrible idea in practice. What does it mean to the customer? It means the way they'll be treated depends on who they end up speaking to and what kind of a day that CSR has had. EXAMPLE : A CSR had a lousy day and then walks into work. A long time customer of twelve years calls into our call centre having problems with his pay per view order and after doing extensive troubleshooting with our technical support department may want to have a little freebie like a pay per view waived for the inconvenience of missing a good portion of their movie (which is not unreasonable). Now that same CSR who had a lousy day (being "empowered") unintentionally takes it out on the customer (yes, we are humans as well and we have good days and bad days) by flat out telling the customer in a less than professional manner that he's not handing out any freebies. Now the customer is upset and requests to either speak with a supervisor or requests to cancel his services. So now a manager is tied up speaking to a rightfully upset customer (when said manager could be doing other work), when the CSR should've been able to resolve the matter on his own & we risk losing a valuable customer. All of this could have been avoided if we had rules in black (simple protocols) which our managers would back up 100% (even if a customer doesn't like it and demands to speak to a supervisor). No more of this "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" mentality. If we have a rule in place, stick by it, don't flip flop. If a customer doesn't like it and demands to speak to a supervisor, the supervisor should back up the CSR 100 %.

You have indoctrinated us to adopt the "Me, Inc" mentality (treating the business as if it's OUR OWN business and that these are OUR customers) which is a great idea yet when we, the front line workers, voice legitimate concerns about questionable practices, we are handled and our concerns are quickly dismissed. To be perfectly clear, I am not griping about the organization not implementing our concerns, but rather how quickly our concerns are simply dismissed and not given any thought. So we're being told that this OUR business, yet we have no voice. Over the past three years I've witnessed first hand the decline of what should be a rising company. Instead, we have been going steadily downhill and we've practically handed our customer base to our competitors. If you care about this organization, please revise your business practices.

csr

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Sales  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Sales in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Direct full-time for more than a year

Pros

schedule was flexible and got better with seniority

Cons

pay is ok, management is terrible

payrate needs to be looked at, considered a family business where if you know someone in management you are guaranteed a career, most people I know that work there hate it, and
    cant wait to get out, the only employees

good

I have been working at Shaw Direct

Pros

good good good good rellay good

Cons

nothing to add really good

A great laid back environment, with cool people

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, work environment, cafeteria, pro-work/home balance

Cons

Hours vary if your not full time.

Soap Opera Central

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Shaw Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Salary & Amazing Benefits

Cons

If you want to work in an environment that has more drama than your average Saturday afternoon low-budget soap opera, join Shaw Direct in Montreal. Extreme pressure to sell and upsell even if you are a technical service representative with constant price increases that makes it close to impossible to keep customers. Ever changing processes that even the management can't keep track off, poor business decisions and tons of favoritism. Management is outright racist at times, even though they do employ diverse ethnicity.There's more inter-office relationships than anywhere I worked before, Half the supervisory team is married to the other half of supervisory team and it's not unusual to see high management leaders dating regular agents. Extremely unprofessional environment. Poor training and very few experts in their field. Worst job I ever had, left after a couple of months.

Good leaders develop, support and train their people. Good leaders are also subject matter experts, not people who have nothing to teach. Good leaders listen to their employees feedback.

tired customer service representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Direct full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Always new people to meet at work, due to the high turnover of staff!
    Some pleasant people that call in, sometimes able to fix problems.

Cons

Fed-up customers who cannot be appeased, no matter what. I recently spoke with a long time customer who had been with this company for over 10 years. Shaw Direct changed the 'home away from home' plan- which was a very popular program for years. This was a free service to customers who could go to their other residence- ie a trailer, or cabin, and continue to use the same Shaw Direct account by taking receiver with them. Well, my company decided to rename this program and start charging the customer. The person on the other end of the phone was almost in tears hearing that another account had been set up and there was a large amount due. Then when i had to say that a collection agency was going to be called- the customer started to cry. I felt like a heel. Talk about pulling the rug out from someone, then hitting them while their down.I am now actively looking for another job.

Do not change services that have been in place for years, and then start charging big bucks for these services under a new name. People are not stupid. We are told to tell them that they are 'saving money' by not paying full amount for their second residence, however we are costing them money. Our company prides itself on being customer focused, and having loyalty to customers, however I have seen no evidence of this, and have been a long time employee.

great benefits

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Shaw Direct part-time for less than a year

Pros

relaxed culture. very good benefits

Cons

low base salary. high employee turnover

match base salary offered by other same - industry competitors to reduce employee turnover. performance appraisal should be every 6 months

Worked for Shaw Direct? Contribute to the Community!