Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Updated May 2, 2014
Updated May 2, 2014
2.9

George P. Bevan

Under utilized, degraded, and unappreciated

Former Employee - Project Business Administrator  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Business Administrator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The only pro that remained while I worked at Shaw was that I was employed and my home was less then 10 minutes away. I also met a few great people.

Cons

Micro Management; HR inconsistencies; No appreciation; Poor moral; Failure to train new employee's properly; Stone age processes; No willingness to embrace new ideas and processes. Failure to recognize a good job, and reward for it.

Get your head out of the sand and realize that the people in the field are the ones that should be applauded for their hard work. Not punished

Lucrative if you travel, for the most part this company does not care about its employees and management is subpar.

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met some really great people and learned different aspects of the environmental field that I had not been involved in before which padded my resume.

Cons

There is a lot of travel involved, and when a project is over have fun trying to find other projects to jump on board with so that you aren't charging your time to overhead. Also there were certain staff who are known to cause problems throughout the company and have so for years with their inappropriate behavior which created an unfriendly and hostile work environment and have run several new staff off but management turns a blind eye to the problem staff person and actually makes excuses for them and doesn't want to deal with the problem.

Take the time to communicate effectively with your subordinates and give employees opportunities to be involved in different projects. If you want to retain new employees, provide some training and give feedback so that they know how they are doing. Also, if several new employees have left after a short time and it all points back to working for a specific project manager and everyone in the office knows it, don't you think you should pay more attention to the common denominator here. Stop burying your heads in the sand and deal with the issue. A good manager should be able to so effectively.

joke

Former Employee - Engineering Technician  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time for less than a year

Pros

show up and collect a paycheck, keep mouth shut about out of date practices and those on pedestal, hope funding continues because you are disposable

Cons

horrible work environment, cheap management, black mold growing in the office

continue lining your pocket at the cost of others

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Techs not valued. Simply a consumable item.

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

Home leave is paid by the Company.

Cons

If you rock the boat you will be punished. Forced time on the bench is the way to "teach you a lesson". Very hostile work place. Published Company policies are not followed by middle management. Coverups are also rampant.
    Layoffs occur with little or no notice.
    Full Perdiem is not paid to employees,rather a small portion, to cover the food element. The accomodation part is retained by the company and a hotel (of lesser value) is provided. No opportunity to find your own hotel. I do not know the legalities of this practice, but seems like its missapropriation of government funds.

Take a look at the middle management. There are numerous abuses of authority, with favoritism taking precident over performance. Workers have been penalised and lost jobs for "trying" to follow company policies. UXO Techs are a disposable commodity and are not valued, even though they are the profit makers.

Miserable Place to Work

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

The company has a lot of different offices and project sites you can be transferred to. Some highly knowledgeable professionals that can provide guidance.

Cons

In order to save face in front of the client, an employee can be fired and blamed for management mistakes. The company will not address severe human resource problems. On a project site, it is all dog-eat-dog.

Think more extensively about how a project should be run. Make sure you have everything and everyone you need before launching into a contract. Please make a decision regarding poor management and/or poor practices.

Lot of field work under the hot sun and cold winters......95% field work, 5% office

Current Employee - Staff Engineer I  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer I in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

stable employer and nice office atmosphere.

Cons

no hikes regularly, lot of BS in performance review...

Please encourage jr staff about the assignments clearly.

Just an opinion

Current Employee - Senior Subcontracts Administrator
    Current Employee - Senior Subcontracts Administrator

I have been working at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

There are good and talented people working at Shaw. Company is worldwide and across the United States.

Cons

A few directors in the Contracts Administration will share gossip to others. Leadership of the department as a whole is completely unsupportive. Raises average 2% or less. New company philosophy is do to more with less.

Come down into the weeds and meet your employees.

Good, but easily could have been better.

Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Contract Administrator in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very little, if any; management involvement in daily activities.

Cons

Very thing has to be approved by a Vice President or above. They either do not know how to delegate authority or are afraid to delegate authority.

Learn how to delegate authority. Chasing for Vice Presidents to get signatures for routine business matters is a waste of money / time.

Easy yet boring

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

Good amount of time off, they offer 9-40 schedules so every other week you get a 3 day weekend which is nice

Cons

Lots of work and overtime that you'll never get paid for, job is at time mind numbingly boring, very little employee appreciation

Good overall experience for an entry level engineer.

Former Employee - Project Engineer  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure

Pros

Diverse, interesting projects, fun work environment, access to technology and resources, great peer group/team working relationships. Fair Salaries (if you negotiate), flexible hours, and travel opportunities. If you can find an advocate in the upper managment structure, you can do well.

Cons

Constant M&A integration and re-organization. No apparent long-term vision. Never ending cycle of middle management changes. Poor implementation of mentorship and staff development programs. Bitter employees of acquired firms that were not integrated into corporate could create a poisonous work environment.

Provide better integration of professionals from acquired companies, you purchased them for a reason, integrate them or help them move on. Build bridges between entry level staff and technical and operations management, the generation gap is widening and will become a real problem in the next decade. Stop the management roller coaster, and keep employees informed, our generation is the driven by the 24 hour news cycle; if you don't provide information on the vision and direction of the company on a consistent basis or follow through on previous management plans you will not be able to maintain a connected, dedicated workforce.

Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure Photos

The Shaw Group
Laboratory Trailer #1
Laboratory Trailer #2

+ Add Photo

Worked for Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure? Contribute to the Community!