Shaw Group

Shaw Group Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Group Chairman, President, and CEO James M. Bernhard Jr.

James M. Bernhard Jr.

Pros
  • people oriented, pays very well, good work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work most of them good people, Good projects long term projects(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy ways rule this kingdom, very old school and very cut throat(in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, little time to get home(in 4 reviews)

Not the worst, but far from the best.

Automation Tech (Current Employee)

ProsPay is fair. Management in LA is non existent in this remote location. Unless the customer complains, corp forgets we exist.

ConsBenefits are somewhat below average. Health insurance is costly and corp mindset is skewed towards construction, forgetting we are contract maintenance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBite the bullet and give benefits that are good enough to recrute and keep good people.

I don't recommend this company

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsYour next work place cannot be worse

ConsShaw Group in Charlotte has been always going through waves of instability. If you are mentally very strong, this is a great place for you. You will never know who sits in the office the next day and you will never understand who is really in charge of what. Some of the policies cannot even be carried out despite HR's policy on the paper.Like other design companies, each engineering division has a chief. It is concerning that recently almost all the chiefs are from other companies, and they have no understanding of the nature of nuclear or fossil business, or engineering for that matter. One chief even doesn't have a college degree, using not only unprofessional language, but does not have a basic command of the English language, writing annual reviews that were full of typos. It isn't uncommon either that managers shout loudly at employees. Unhealthy culture spreads to the bottom level employees. If you stay in Charlotte office, most probably there has been no raise for three years. Huge number of engineers left the company and I am one of them. As time goes on, the company will eventually be run into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is top heavy, with a culture towards frontline engineers that is dismissive at best. For an engineering company to recruit and retain talent, they must be treated as if they are valued by the company. Shaw had wave of hiring during the 08' crisis because they were the only one with contracts, but as the economy improves there has been an exodus of the most skilled workers.

Mediocre management in a mediocre company

Chemical Process Safety Engineer (Current Employee) Aiken, SC

ProsThere is not much in way of positive feedback on this organization. Work schedule used to be flexible (4X10s), and afforded flexibility; switched over to 9/80 schedule without explanation.

ConsSenior management is too self-centered. Pay a lot of lip service to catch-phrases and buzzwords. Very little effort is made to improve the situation regarding mobility and/or opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to the highest bidder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shaw Grp employee review

Engineer IV (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

Proswill keep employee as long as possible

ConsNo technical training provided to employee

Advice to Senior Managementno vision

no pressure, nice managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good hourly rate for an unskilled position
    the Project Managers were not too demanding about attendance, and understanding if there were conflicts in scheduling work
    People were generally good natured and kind

Conspressure to work more increased a bit as the project deadline approached
    there was not a lot of regular feedback about whether we were doing a good job or not, which could have improved performance if it was provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't interact much with the upper management, but I think they could have been more motivating and helped us feel like a team that was accomplishing something important, which would have improved attendance and performance on the job.

Sr. CADD Designer

Senior CADD Designer (Former Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsGreat place to work most of them good people, Good projects long term projects. I worked for three different divisions E&I, Plant Services and Nuclear in the nine years I was there.

ConsHR plays and thinks they are GOD.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to diversify in to more different job markets like URS and CH2M Hill. Just power and Environmental Fed work is not enough. Open your eyes to the changing job market.

Shaw

ProsGreat pay, professional work environment

ConsHighly unstable; hired one day, fired the next

Corporate, chain of command company often with poor management.

Car Coordinator (Current Employee) Irmo, SC

ProsGreat opportunities. Great pay. If you kiss ass and know how to stay on everyone's good side (play the game, essentially), you will do well. Hopefully you start out with a boss that is easy to get a long with, or else you could be out early.

ConsPoor management in a lot of places. Long chain of command to get anything done. A lot of the higher-ups basically had no idea what their staff was doing and actually had very little involvement in their actions. This caused the 2nd tier management to be overworked and stressed, taking it out on their staff. A LOT of miscommunication goes on, and when you go to ask a manager what exactly he/she means or how to start what they told you to, they seem to be annoyed that you don't already know how to do it or who to start talking to.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management: Make sure the person below you can handle the workload that you are giving him/her. Also make sure things are actually on track and not just being swept under the rug.
    Middle management: Make sure that your team knows what to do, and if they ask you questions, make sure that they really understand the first time and don't just act like they do, only to come back an hour later for clarification. Also, don't micromanage.

Poor management, no growth opportunities

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsNo pressure at work. Good colleagues

ConsNo growth opportunities, Company does not care for its employees

Boston MA & Centennial CO Offices

Civil Structural Engineer IV ( Senior Structural) (Former Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsHigher than average salary. Good projects when they had them. Serious work environment.

ConsToo much overtime, and time for do-overs but not to get the project right the first go around. Lost credibility with clients do to overcharging relative to competitors, and hence lost projects and clients over it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to value for the client, than to value for senior management stockholders.

Worked for Shaw Group? Contribute to the Community!