Shaw Group

Shaw Group Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw Group Chairman, President, and CEO James M. Bernhard Jr.

James M. Bernhard Jr.

Pros
  • people oriented, pays very well, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work most of them good people, Good projects long term projects (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy ways rule this kingdom, very old school and very cut throat (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, little time to get home (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Placed Employees & Pensioners in Canada into Voluntary Bankruptcy?

Senior Management (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey had a lot to offer when they were Stone & Webster, but certainly declined in the industry. Nothing too positive to note.

ConsVery bureaucratic environment. Let's hope CB&I has a better shot at managing work than the previous executives at Shaw Group.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more ethical in your treatment of employees

Poorly managed company with questionable ethics and is now under the guise of Chicago Bridge Ironworks

Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsPay can be lucrative if you travel...

ConsManagement does not want to deal with conflict and rather than address a situation buries their heads in the sand. The good ole boys mentiality is alive and well at this company and if you want to move up then become a mangers pet. They turn their head the other way regarding inapproriate behavior and allow repeat offenders to remain there while they lose new employees who don't tolerate it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of the sand and wake up to what is going on around you. Value your employees and actively manage. A good manager should be able to address confrontation in a tactful way.

Worst work experience, ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

ProsI was able to escape to a better place with my dignity and professional reputation intact.

ConsThis place is a cesspool. Run from any job offers-do not believe anything you are told about opportunity, work-life balance, etc. Pay and benefits are abysmal - all this from a Fortune 500 company. The Shaw Group would make an excellent Harvard Business Review case study on how not to run an F500 company.

In the corporate office, senior management is only interested in lining pockets and typically doesn't understand the functions assigned (promotions are given on the basis of personal relationship rather than skill, knowledge or leadership ability...or how well-liked one is by the C-Suite. Not questioning the ethical or legal consequences of C-Suite whims and desires is a sure way to get promoted into the esteemed climes of Senior Management). HR is perhaps the most dysfunctional function in the entire company - absolutely no leadership, vision or knowledge of how a company (much less an F500 company) should manage human capital.

Hopefully the new ownership sees the company and lack of skilled workforce for what it is and cleans house.

If you are reading this as an employer considering hiring a Shaw employee, be careful if the candidate has been there for any length of time and considers themselves successful. Anyone who has built a career and climbed the ranks at Shaw has done so in a skullduggerous and vicious culture, and will likely not understand that such tactics typically don't bring success in the real world.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom the top down (yes, the horrific culture started with the C Suite and is pervasive throughout the company, even down to the surly support staff), there is no leadership, that's the problem.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I don't recommend this company

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsYour next work place cannot be worse

ConsShaw Group in Charlotte has been always going through waves of instability. If you are mentally very strong, this is a great place for you. You will never know who sits in the office the next day and you will never understand who is really in charge of what. Some of the policies cannot even be carried out despite HR's policy on the paper.Like other design companies, each engineering division has a chief. It is concerning that recently almost all the chiefs are from other companies, and they have no understanding of the nature of nuclear or fossil business, or engineering for that matter. One chief even doesn't have a college degree, using not only unprofessional language, but does not have a basic command of the English language, writing annual reviews that were full of typos. It isn't uncommon either that managers shout loudly at employees. Unhealthy culture spreads to the bottom level employees. If you stay in Charlotte office, most probably there has been no raise for three years. Huge number of engineers left the company and I am one of them. As time goes on, the company will eventually be run into the ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is top heavy, with a culture towards frontline engineers that is dismissive at best. For an engineering company to recruit and retain talent, they must be treated as if they are valued by the company. Shaw had wave of hiring during the 08' crisis because they were the only one with contracts, but as the economy improves there has been an exodus of the most skilled workers.

Benefits Suck!

Electrical Tech (Current Employee) Rockport, IN

ProsCan't really think of any pro's.

ConsThe benefits are horrible especially if you have a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the benefits or no one will want to work for you company.

Big Mistake Big Big Big

DUH (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsA decent bi weekly pay check

Consmanagement - feels like you are in high school. Big popularity contest and you raises and bonuses are dependant on you being like by administrative manager

Advice to Senior Managementget new management -

Company having problems

BD Manager (Former Employee) Blacksburg, VA

ProsI learned alot from several people that were also laidoff, bad decision.

ConsMany, can't trust management, eliminated every female in middle management, the company has to "blame" someone if you don't win a bid, other members of the middle management did not stand up for their part in a lose, poor management decisions, everyone worried about having their job tomorrow.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are going to have some hard times ahead. Decisions are being made about those that are laidoff that are based on pinning it on someone. No team building effort or "we all missed it" together. Absolutely the worst management style I have ever seen.

Stay away from Procurement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMany dedicated employees with integrity in other divisions.

ConsProcurement management sets a poor example by coming in late and leaving early. Bullying appears to be justified if you refuse to involve yourself in gossip rather than staying to yourself and doing your job. Health insurance coverage is poor and expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone to offer other than what has already been posted by other employees.

Cut-throat

ProsProject Experience, Varity of work

ConsMistreat employees and very poor Human Resources

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees.

This is truly a unfair work place. No benefits to new employee Holiday pay, vacation pay ie.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Deer Park, TX

ProsPay is great no benefits to rate. I got the job.

ConsPoorly rated over priced health insurance. No e.e.o. in the work place for benefits, holiday pay, vacation time for all new and old employees equal across the board. I am number not a person within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementJames M. Bernard Jr need to make changes within HR and do so to make Shaw a great place to work with equal benefits no matter the time of service. Wrong doing and unfair treatment should not be a company practice allowed in the work place. Do be Shrewd and turn away from this James look into it and make the changes to HR to treat every employee the same equal in company benefits. At Christmas time you took a meal away from new employees and a extra day off without pay and give it to old employee's a day off with pay 8 hours. How is this a fair work place. What happen to the rules of the EEOC.

Worked for Shaw Group? Contribute to the Community!