Shaw Group Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014

Shaw Group Chairman, President, and CEO James M. Bernhard Jr.
James M. Bernhard Jr.

Pros
  • people oriented, pays very well, good work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to work most of them good people, Good projects long term projects (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy ways rule this kingdom, very old school and very cut throat (in 4 reviews)

• Long hours, little time to get home (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

very good

I worked at Shaw Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Shaw is a very good place to work. Great opportunities to grow. Good work life balance

Cons

Benefits are good but not great. They can be better

None

Worst work experience, ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Shaw Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was able to escape to a better place with my dignity and professional reputation intact.

Cons

This place is a cesspool. Run from any job offers-do not believe anything you are told about opportunity, work-life balance, etc. Pay and benefits are abysmal - all this from a Fortune 500 company. The Shaw Group would make an excellent Harvard Business Review case study on how not to run an F500 company.

In the corporate office, senior management is only interested in lining pockets and typically doesn't understand the functions assigned (promotions are given on the basis of personal relationship rather than skill, knowledge or leadership ability...or how well-liked one is by the C-Suite. Not questioning the ethical or legal consequences of C-Suite whims and desires is a sure way to get promoted into the esteemed climes of Senior Management). HR is perhaps the most dysfunctional function in the entire company - absolutely no leadership, vision or knowledge of how a company (much less an F500 company) should manage human capital.

Hopefully the new ownership sees the company and lack of skilled workforce for what it is and cleans house.

If you are reading this as an employer considering hiring a Shaw employee, be careful if the candidate has been there for any length of time and considers themselves successful. Anyone who has built a career and climbed the ranks at Shaw has done so in a skullduggerous and vicious culture, and will likely not understand that such tactics typically don't bring success in the real world.

From the top down (yes, the horrific culture started with the C Suite and is pervasive throughout the company, even down to the surly support staff), there is no leadership, that's the problem.

Top heavy organization with cliques and favorites

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salaries, decent locations, some opportunities to work in the field.

Cons

Top-heavy organization, little opportunity to move up in the organization, cliques tend to rule, no morale. Management isn't sure how to improve group cohesion.

The age (and experience) gap between management and engineer is vast. Look on all young engineers equally as opportunities to grow your group and morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I don't recommend this company

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shaw Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your next work place cannot be worse

Cons

Shaw Group in Charlotte has been always going through waves of instability. If you are mentally very strong, this is a great place for you. You will never know who sits in the office the next day and you will never understand who is really in charge of what. Some of the policies cannot even be carried out despite HR's policy on the paper.Like other design companies, each engineering division has a chief. It is concerning that recently almost all the chiefs are from other companies, and they have no understanding of the nature of nuclear or fossil business, or engineering for that matter. One chief even doesn't have a college degree, using not only unprofessional language, but does not have a basic command of the English language, writing annual reviews that were full of typos. It isn't uncommon either that managers shout loudly at employees. Unhealthy culture spreads to the bottom level employees. If you stay in Charlotte office, most probably there has been no raise for three years. Huge number of engineers left the company and I am one of them. As time goes on, the company will eventually be run into the ground.

The company is top heavy, with a culture towards frontline engineers that is dismissive at best. For an engineering company to recruit and retain talent, they must be treated as if they are valued by the company. Shaw had wave of hiring during the 08' crisis because they were the only one with contracts, but as the economy improves there has been an exodus of the most skilled workers.

no pressure, nice managers

I worked at Shaw Group

Pros

Pretty good hourly rate for an unskilled position
    the Project Managers were not too demanding about attendance, and understanding if there were conflicts in scheduling work
    People were generally good natured and kind

Cons

pressure to work more increased a bit as the project deadline approached
    there was not a lot of regular feedback about whether we were doing a good job or not, which could have improved performance if it was provided.

I didn't interact much with the upper management, but I think they could have been more motivating and helped us feel like a team that was accomplishing something important, which would have improved attendance and performance on the job.

Mediocre management in a mediocre company

Current Employee - Chemical Process Safety Engineer  in  Aiken, SC
    Current Employee - Chemical Process Safety Engineer in Aiken, SC

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is not much in way of positive feedback on this organization. Work schedule used to be flexible (4X10s), and afforded flexibility; switched over to 9/80 schedule without explanation.

Cons

Senior management is too self-centered. Pay a lot of lip service to catch-phrases and buzzwords. Very little effort is made to improve the situation regarding mobility and/or opportunities.

Sell to the highest bidder.

Not the worst, but far from the best.

Current Employee - Automation Tech
    Current Employee - Automation Tech

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is fair. Management in LA is non existent in this remote location. Unless the customer complains, corp forgets we exist.

Cons

Benefits are somewhat below average. Health insurance is costly and corp mindset is skewed towards construction, forgetting we are contract maintenance.

Bite the bullet and give benefits that are good enough to recrute and keep good people.

Shaw Grp employee review

Current Employee - Engineer IV  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer IV in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Shaw Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

will keep employee as long as possible

Cons

No technical training provided to employee

no vision

Sr. CADD Designer

Former Employee - Senior CADD Designer  in  Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Senior CADD Designer in Centennial, CO

I worked at Shaw Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work most of them good people, Good projects long term projects. I worked for three different divisions E&I, Plant Services and Nuclear in the nine years I was there.

Cons

HR plays and thinks they are GOD.

Management needs to diversify in to more different job markets like URS and CH2M Hill. Just power and Environmental Fed work is not enough. Open your eyes to the changing job market.

Poor management, no growth opportunities

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Shaw Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No pressure at work. Good colleagues

Cons

No growth opportunities, Company does not care for its employees

Worked for Shaw Group? Contribute to the Community!