Shaw Industries
www.shawfloors.jobs Dalton, GA 5000+ Employees

Shaw Industries Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Shaw Industries – Santa Fe Springs – “Receiving Area Inside the Warehouse”

Shaw Industries CEO Vance D. Bell

Vance D. Bell

Pros:
  • "good pay and benefits in a bad economy"
    in 9 reviews
  • "good family orient company and good work life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not enough opportunity for advancement, and turning into a high pressure sales organization"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Employees are merely files in drawer, numbers to be cut and necessary evils to upper management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Experience will vary from plant to plant. As a hole it is a solid and secure place to work.

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Calhoun, GA

ProsJob security and lots of good people. Large company that allows you to really diversify your work experience.

ConsCompensation is not as competitive. Experiences are completely different plant to plant.

They will get their moneys worth out of you.

Doffer (Current Employee)
    Chickamauga, GA

ProsThe pay at Shaw Industries is pretty decent to not have to have a college degree.They offer a really good benefits package with life insurance, medical,dental, and 401k retirement plan.

ConsYou have to fight your way to the breakroom to get a break.You work a steady twelve hour shift with barely getting to sit down for a minute to take a break (if your lucky). The vacation hours are not paid vacation its just time that doesnt count against you without pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want to alow your turnover rate down make a way for your employees to have a undisturbed mandatory break at a certain time. Make people happy they will work better.

technical

Prosgood family orient company and good work life balance

Conssalary is low- old southern style management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Shaw is a miserable experience

Cableset Operator (Current Employee)
    LaFayette, GA

ProsWe get off 30 minutes for a meeting when somebody has a medical, which is pretty often. They think the BBS safety crap really works when nobody gets hurt for a few months and wonder why it doesn't when they increase our workload and people start getting injured. The BBS program basically consists of filling out a little slip of paper every day about some aspect of safety. It doesn't do anything to help prevent accidents.

ConsThey increased our workload by 100% in the last year because the obameconomy is so bad they know they can get away with it. We didn't get a raise last year. When you sign up for a job you're lucky if they even acknowledge your application and you have little chance of getting the job unless you know somebody.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ashamed to cash your checks

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe pay was great and the warehouse is well organized.

ConsAll the employees complain about there job. If you are one minute late you get a point after so many points you get written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the employees that do there job.

Good solid values and ethical company and exceptional training.

Director (Former Employee)

ProsExceptional training for leaders and employees. Excellent employee engagement and recognition.

ConsUpper managers tend to be extremely arrogant and suffer from hubris at times.

A dream come true

Senior Process Improvement Engineer (Current Employee)
    Calhoun, GA

ProsGreat leadership, uncanny benefits, nice people

ConsRight in between Atlanta and Chattanooga (a little bit of a commute, but in opposite direction of traffic!)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work, and say hey to Warren.

Manager

Manager Plant (Current Employee)
    Dalton, GA

ProsGreat company, fair, with good values.

ConsVery good company to work for

They say misery loves company. They made a company, and made misery- Frustrated Incorporated. That's Shaw Industries.

Weaver (Current Employee)
    Chickamauga, GA

ProsI have a job. I'm not homeless. I can pay my bills... sorta. It gives me lots of good material to scare my daughter into doing good in school and going to college, even if I have no idea how I will ever be able to pay for her to go.

ConsLong hours. No breaks. No joke. Georgia doesn't have any laws that state employers have to give employees breaks and Shaw will tell you this. They have a break system on file and everyone in HR believes employees get breaks, but go sit down in the break room and see how long it takes for a supervisor to come SCREAMING at you to get back on the floor.

We get a raise every 2-3 years that usually averages about a quarter, but our insurance goes up every year. They only pay $0.25 on the dollar (up to 6%) on their 401k. There is absolutely no bonuses, for hourly employees at least. For Christmas they have started giving us a Christmas tree shaped Little Debbie cake that says "Happy Holidays" on the wrapper. Not joking. Before that it was nothing.

Since 2009, they have cut MANY positions there. People have taken on more and more responsibilities with even less help than they had before and no additional compensation for the extra duties. Then on top of that, they mandatory you to work on your days off because they don't have enough people to cover jobs.

It is HOT in there. You think a Georgia summer is hot when you're out at the pool? Go into a big tin building with hundreds of machines going non-stop and it will literally take your breath away when you walk in the door. Even after 10 years I still get a rising panic I have to fight down when I walk in the door when that heat blasts you in the face and you know there is no getting out of it for the next 12 hours. It takes a lot of mental conditioning.

Twelve hour shifts will eat you're life away; especially if you're working nights. There is no social life anymore. I'm writing this at 2:40 AM and this is midday for me. You spend half you're life working for a company that doesn't even care about you.

Human Resources treat you like a child. They act as if everyone that comes in to see them barely has the brain capacity to keep breathing on their own. They think they know more about your job than you do when they absolutely refuse to go out on the floor. They even moved the job bid sheets into HR so they wouldn't have to go out on the floor to collect them anymore. When you go in to see them after working a 12 hour shift, they leave you sitting out there while they catch up on gossip and get their morning coffee going. They don't even acknowledge you (even tho they walk by you several times) until they are ready to talk to you about your problem and then all the smiles disappear and as cold as they can they ask "Can I help you?" <insert exasperated tone>

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Make eye contact with your employees. Smile. Doing something other than drill us about any little nit-pick thing you happen to be obsessing about that day. Realize we are humans and not animals, don't talk to us like we are. I put my pants on the same as you, stop acting like you are a more evolved human being.

When we come to you with a problem, don't placate us to get us to go away. Do some research, ask questions. Realize most, if not all, of us have families and a life (or at least WANT to have a life) and we're only there to make a living. We're not there because we dreamed about making carpet backing as a kid, we're there because we made some serious misjudgments in life. I work so I can live, I don't live to work. I'm not lazy, but giving my whole life to you and this company is not why I was put on this planet. There should be a balance.

We want to work safe for US and our families not for you. I have a good sense about what is safe and what isn't, let me do it. Don't force me to do it your way when it doesn't make any sense because you have no clue what the job is, the safety behavior just looks good to you on paper.

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary, flexibility in job, good incentives

ConsNever knew if you had to work overtime until the day before, hard to plan weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule overtime in advance

Worked for Shaw Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shaw Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shaw Industries CEO Vance D. Bell. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Shaw Industries employees.