Shaw's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Shaw's President Jim Rice

Jim Rice

Pros
  • Great co-workers, got some of my best friends from this job(in 5 reviews)

• Flexible scheduling with supervisor(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No real chances to go full time(in 7 reviews)

• low pay, unprofessional management, favoritism(in 7 reviews)

Trying and frustrating

Checkout Cashier (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people you work with are typically fun nice people. This company hires autistic people as well as others with some mental disabilities as baggers (nothing too serious but somehting they can get paid for), so be prepared to work with them and be their friends too. The hours are nice, but shifts are in awkward chunks with barely any break time (seriously, I work 6 hour shifts and get a 15 minute break to eat...so buy in bulk and stash in the fridge for the week)

ConsAt the interview I was told they promote from within however, I watched a high schooler get hired directly without any experience in teh company as one of my supervisors. Not cool. Also, my branch is awful at posting schedules. It's very likely it posts at 9 pm the night before your 7 am shift starts, giving you almost no warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay, honestly we're one of the lowest paying supermarkets from my research.

Terrible morale

ProsNice people to work with, and nice customers. How they keep any of them is beyond me. The good news is that compared to other supermarkets, Shaws isn't very busy. That is probably bad news for Shaws.

ConsI like the people, and the store is well run, but in the short time I've worked here I've watched the corporate specialists come in and publically rip apart the store managers over nit picking details on displays. Full-on bullying of these talented managers in full view of their co-workers AND their customers. (This over the placement of a label that was two inches off where it was supposed to be). A typical Cerebus operation. Come in cost cut and screw up a good company. They switched from decent gloves to crappy ones that are so hard to put on, the employees no longer switch out the pair they are wearing, even when there is a food safety hazard. I came in with a good attitude despite only being paid $8 per hour, (and I have customer service retail experience), and found a group of employees that while nice, are too burned out and bitter to help train new workers. They are constantly griping about management and they off try to get out of doing the jobs they don't like, by simply ignoring it. Thus the dishes pile up in La Carte and the deep fat oil is never changed. Oh, and the pay is horrible. You do get an employee discount of 5 percent on store items and an additional 5 percent on Shaws own items, which would be decent if Shaws' prices weren't too high to begin with. No one who works there can afford to buy food there, even with the discount. They also will cash your paychecks for free, in hopes you will shop there as well, but no one does, except managment.

Plus if you apply you take a drug test, go through the most paperwork you will ever go through and watch a boring corporate video on how unions are bad for workers and Shaws doesn't want them. Oh and every single move you make is taped on video and watched by the management as well, so look busy, and don't ever sample anything you make in the deli, or you could get fired on the spot.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy some successful companies, like Apple or Whole Foods and value your employees more. But Cerebus isn't going to change. Too bad that firm is allowed to run another good company into the ground.

Nice people.

Deli Clerk (Current Employee) Auburn, MA

ProsNice people from the associates to the manager.

ConsLow pay. No real chances to go full time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pleasant coworkers and management.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsA big pro aspect was there was a lot of people-to-people interaction at that job while I worked there.

ConsA small down side aspect at the time scan time challenges at that job while I worked there. I do not know if they still have them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

decent

Stocker (Former Employee) Warwick, RI

Prosnight shift. Flexible scheduling with supervisor

Conslot of turn over, hard to keep track of

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great people! Team spirit. Busy

ProsGood coworkers, great customers. No variety.

ConsParent company has no use for talent and vision. They want everything done one way with no consideration of LOCAL flavor. If your a leader at store level your spinning your wheels.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at our competition before making any more desicions. What is drawing customers to them instead of us?

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood opportunities to learn the innrer workings of the supermarket industry. Opportunity for advancement.

ConsAs with all retail, difficult hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep identifying internal employees for advancement opportunities.

Grocery Crew

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHelped hone customer service, merchandising, and supervisory skill within a retail setting.

ConsHours where not plentiful and people called out often leaving excess work for those who showed up regularly.

Advice to Senior Managementhold those who call out accountable for actions.

Shaws is terrible

Department Manager (Current Employee) Colchester, VT

ProsI honestly can't think of anything right now. This job is just plain terrible and I really don't recommend it to anyone.

ConsI am honestly not sure where to begin, I suppose it all started when we were purchased by an investment firm. At first many employees were excited about this. Shaws had been bought and sold so many times it was starting to have a draining effect on employees and morale. When we were finally taken over it seemed to be going well, jobs were being created, stores were getting makeovers and prices were finally going down. Than it all went down hill, all of a sudden labor was being cut down to ridiculous levels. The job expectations than increased to levels that are beyond reasonable. The company than brought on Specialists which are little more than corporate sponsored bullies. No matter how good a store looks they find something wrong, take pictures and than send it off to corporate where we are than promptly yelled at the next day. They do everything in their power to make you feel expendable. I remember when the manager job posting board would be maybe 3 or 4 positions in the state and there was fierce competion to get whatever job came up. Now I see that same board 3 to 4 pages long and no one's applying. I asked someone if they would think about applying for a job that came up and the response was " I see how managers are treated now so no way". I have seen countless people who were proud Shaws Veterans walk away from the company because of how they are treated. I have never seen morale so low. Employees are overworked and underappreciated vacations are constantly canceled. Turnover is really bad I just don't understand how it can be cost effective to hire new managers only to have them quit after a few months, so than the cycle repeats and you have to spend more time and energy to train the new ones. Specialists are supposed to be there to support, train, and teach. Instead they bully, degrade people, and just end up creating more problems with their unrealistic tasks and expectations of what they expect out of everyone. Corporate since has started buying cheaper garbage bags that break very easily so as a result you have to use two or three for every garbage load. The gloves which are even cheaper rip easily and have to constantly get replaced. The CEO and most people at corporate obviously never worked in a grocery store and if they had than they have forgotten what its like.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I do believe that to a degree their expectations are what one might expect to go through at a job. The tasks can't be accomplished without support. That means giving stores what they actually need for labor and tools. People are your most valuable asset treat them a lot better and offer them support and compassion.

Great high school job.

Cashier/Bagger (Former Employee) Whitinsville, MA

ProsFlexible scheduling. Worked around school activities, vacations, graduations, etc.

ConsSchedules sometimes weren't posted in time and hours would have to be checked at the last minute.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should focus more on employees and less on numbers.

Worked for Shaw's? Contribute to the Community!