Shaw's Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
2.6

Shaw's President Jim Rice
Jim Rice

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling with supervisor (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible hours, some areas for advancement (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Very few people can be full time without being a manager (in 8 reviews)

• low pay, unprofessional management, favoritism (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It was very nice and I am so happy that I could work there! It was the best work in my life for that moment.

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Harwich Port, MA
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Harwich Port, MA

I worked at Shaw's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work itself is easy, co-workers were all very nice and helpful! They feeded us few times and shared cakes that was very nice of them and I appreciate that a lot!

Cons

I had to be at work at 6 am, but that was fine. My problem was I had a bicycle that would brake every week! It rains often on Cape Cod, so you get all wet often if you ride your bike. I had to take some food with me.

Give people more hours and do not be afraid to pay extra time! People need money! They will be satisfied when they earn more!

Good stepping stone

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Worcester, MA

I worked at Shaw's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to move up. I started as a bagger. As long as you have a brain and common sense, they will quickly train you to cashier. I spent two years as a cashier. Learn as much as you can as a bagger, you'll be more likely to get off register (i.e. chores around the store- trash, bottle returns, returns). Learned alot about customer service.

Cons

I was commonly by myself as a CSR to manage checkout. Most managers would leave at 4 or 5. I typically worked 4-9 or 4-10. Most of my cashiers would leave at 4 or 4:30 and I wouldn't get more in until 6. You would only get 15 minute break, even with a 6 hour shift. 7 hour shift was two 15minute increments. 8 hours was two 15minutes and a half hour.

Not what it used to be

I have been working at Shaw's (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, associate discount, for the most part co-workers are great people. Every company has a few that are not, but overall the workforce is hardworking and dedicated. Opportunities to advance

Cons

Leadership in the company is out of touch with what customer really want. No gimmick, just competitive low pricing. Prices have improved but nowhere near where they should be. Lack of work/life balance- recent Scheduling changes do are not conducive to a family life.

Get in touch with your people. New scheduling changes make no sense and do not help an already struggling morale.

If you get a job at Shaw's, you'd better be ready to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Produce Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Produce Manager

I have been working at Shaw's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shaw's gives a good amount of paid time off, they have flexible schedules and they contribute to my 401k.

Cons

They spend far too little on labor, making it hard for the stores to operate to their full potential. There are always full time positions opening up, mainly because people are leaving. Since the company became privately owned, every job has gotten harder. They are constantly short-staffed making it nearly impossible to reach the company's vision.

Teach your store directors how to properly allocate labor. The produce department gets ten percent of sales as well as the meat department. It takes the same amount of time and effort to cut a watermelon as it does a steak with a remarkable difference in retail price between the two. The expectations are unrealistic.

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cohasset, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cohasset, MA

I worked at Shaw's part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, some areas for advancement. I was able to work there throughout high school and college. Overall not a bad company to work for.

Cons

Minimum wage, hours ranged each week, management had a high turn over. Also, not having a choice in working some holiday.

Try not to stay too long.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Shaw's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- An excellent company in terms of a first job.
    - TOPP time is a very reasonable benefit.

Cons

- Limited advancement without driving yourself into the ground.
    - If you live off of what you make working here, you sure as hell better go into work even if you're injured.
    - TOPP time may need to be saved for injuries instead of your one or two brief vacations a year.

- Do not put someone in an upper management position who has next to no desire to listen to those under him or her. Or is dismissive of customer queries.
    - Include more incentives for part-time employees.
    - Keep promises in terms of rewarding employees (my particular location keeps changing the reward for being mentioned in surveys.

Fast paced, mostly friendly working environment

I have been working at Shaw's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shaw's offers many entry level jobs that can lead to better positions after gaining experience. Part timers have flexibility in scheduling. Students can work around their sports and school obligations. Many customers become friends as you see them almost daily. Employees get a small discount on groceries. One week of paid vacation after a year, two weeks after 2 years and a reasonable amount of paid sick days. If you like a lot of interaction, this is a great job.

Cons

Pay rate is based on longevity, not merit (union store). Some employees are doing all the work, others are slackers and get the same pay, sometimes more depending on how long they have been around. There is a lot of favoritism
    going on. The rules don't apply to everyone which causes bad feelings.Vacation time for full timers is given by seniority meaning the long timers take all the holiday weeks. If you are a valued employee (a hard worker) you are denied vacations due to "the needs of the company". Full timers have to be available for any shifts so forget about having any kind of normal social life as you will be required to work the second or third shift all the time (especially on the weekends which is peak shopping days) I'm tired of working every weekend night with no switching off.

Stop favoritism in the stores!!!! It just causes bad feelings for everyone.

NO quality of life

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shaw's full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no reasons anyone would want to work at shaws

Cons

This company is only focused on numbers and not on their people who make the company successful. Regularly it is thrown in dept level and store manager positions that we get paid too much money. In return since we make too much money we should work ridiculous hours and no time for your family. The money is not worth it.

No training, work late.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Boston, MA

I have been working at Shaw's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were none, it was awful.

Cons

You're expected to work late, awful work conditions, very poor training.

Make sure that training is actually completed. You can't expect someone who has never been in a Deli to be able to work a Deli.

Warehouse Associate

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Methuen, MA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Methuen, MA

I worked at Shaw's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair disciplinary system, pay, management, benefits

Cons

High paced environment, Seniority over merit