Shawmut Design and Construction

Add Photos

Thomas Goemaat

Great company

Boston, MA

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time for more than a year

ProsNever micromanaged, training is consistent, very culturally diverse, friendly, and great people. The worst days are better than the best days at my previous job.

ConsSalary is low for what you do, work/life balance is tough with so many demand.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the salary in line with who you are employing. 3% raise a year regardless of performance is brutal.

Change is needed.

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time

ProsGreat benefits, competitive compensation. Seems to be a great working atmosphere in the office. A lot of community service and involvement with charities.

ConsLack of career growth and work life balance on the field side.
There is a huge disconnect between the field and office. (us vs them)
Lack of understanding regarding larger scale projects.
There are no conversations from upper management regarding career development. Most likely because leadership does not believe in it / understand its importance / want to be ousted.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul leadership / project management structure and personnel.

It was a great company to work for Construction Professionals; limited career for Admin / Support Roles"

New York, NY

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt was as a fast paced, high energy company and usually fun place place to work, access to management and to participate as much you wanted to

ConsThere was little growth for Corporate Services sides (IT, Office Services, Project Administrators) and a trend of Women in Admin and Men on Operations

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage good employees to stay with better pay and develop opportunities them rather than letting them leave.

Don't drink the kool-aid!

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits including 100% health insurance, dental, vision. Employee Owned. Always some party/gathering planned.

ConsPlan on working 60 plus hours but only being compensated for 40. Favoritism runs deep and watch out for the cliques! Slow to advance anyone up within the company, so be patient!

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the hard workers and people that make them look good! Stop playing favorites and chastising people that have to take direction from higher-ups that simply dont know what they are doing sometimes!

Great Benefits -- Lousy Work Environment

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benefits; Lots of Free Food; Lots of Free time

ConsFavorites succeed even without having skills/knowledge; personnel does nothing to resolve issues although they boast about helping some of their 'team building' exercises actually hurt, single out people in negative way

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at turnover rates in some departments; look at who is socializing TOO MUCH; look at favoritism

Slow Burn

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWork life balance is good for long standing employees

ConsVery political and hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementAward based on merit not favorites

Looks great on paper, in reality, not so much.

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time

ProsOn paper, SDC looks like a great place to work, having been awarded several "Great Place To Work" awards, etc. But all that glitters is not gold. There are some great people at Shawmut. Their dedication to charity and good works is exemplary and really shows. It's employee owned, if you are there long enough to reap the associated benefits. Many people leave for their more successful competitor, Suffolk Construction.

ConsManagement is terrible. Look up the word "stovepipe" and you'll find Shawmut. Zero interdepartmental cooperation or communication. Very "us" versus "them" mentality internally. The concept of "favorites" there is legendary. If you're in good with the right people, your job is guaranteed for life no matter what. Turnover is high and has been for the past five years. Workers out in the field seem happiest. Employees in core functions are largely miserable. If you have an employee issue, Human Resources is useless. Temper tantrums and screaming fits by senior management are frequent and tolerated. I once witnessed a near knock-down, drag out fight between two senior management people. (One man and one woman.) Threats were made, including those of physical violence. I am stunned to this day by that exchange. Senior management often behaves most unprofessionally.

Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate honestly, openly and often with employees. Lack of communication and lack of any sense of team are your greatest weaknesses.

Most Employee Friendly Company

Intern/Coop (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction full-time for less than a year

ProsBest management and great staff all around.

ConsWorking in the construction industry in general can lead to working long hours each day.

Seemed good at first until the economy tanked and management collapsed

I worked at Shawmut Design and Construction

ProsGood benefits and overall good atmosphere.

ConsUpper management has a communication problem. They make decisions and hope for the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with the team. Gather input and intelligence before making big decisions. There is a lot of awesome capable people at Shawmut that the leadership could tap into if they just looked for it.

Work/life balance needs to be emphasized, other than that i am immensely proud to be part of this well rooted company.

Estimator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shawmut Design and Construction

ProsThey have excellent benefits and compensation. The senior management lets you in on what their strategy is, and keeps you up to date. I rarely if ever feel out of the loop at this company. I think they keep the correct people for the job, for the most part, and know when that persons time is up in his or her position, when its time to let them go. There are good values to go by, and management sticks to them and references them heavily in meetings. Most employees are happy to be working here and it shows in the amount of hours they put in.

ConsThere is little emphasis on work life balance. While higher ups state that its ok if you go to the gym, or leave early, as long as you get the work done, i feel that you are still looked down upon if you aren't going 100 miles an hour all the time. You work long hours and i feel like the one time you leave early because you can, you get looked down upon for doing so. Also, vacations are tough to schedule because of the projects that are in progress. It takes a good amount of planning to actually leave work for a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat good employees well, and they will stick around. So far so good!

Worked for Shawmut Design and Construction? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shawmut Design and Construction reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shawmut Design and Construction CEO Thomas Goemaat. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Shawmut Design and Construction employees.