Shawmut Design and Construction

Add Photos

Thomas Goemaat

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNever micromanaged, training is consistent, very culturally diverse, friendly, and great people. The worst days are better than the best days at my previous job.

ConsSalary is low for what you do, work/life balance is tough with so many demand.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the salary in line with who you are employing. 3% raise a year regardless of performance is brutal.

Good Strong Construction Company

Construction Project Management Rotation (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Projects, Nice Offices, good Benefits, overall a fun company to work for

Consuncompetitive Salaries, too corporate, Not enough value held for construction experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more reward and promotion potential for overachievers. Put more emphasis on construction and/or leadership experience instead of just formal education. Being a construction company they should be looking to hire people with actual experience from the trades, and want to get into management. Hiring people with an impressive diploma does not help you build. All construction planning always appears to be fine until you're ready to build the job. If you have people working for you who have never built anything before, than there is no way they can manage the best way to build, or plan for pitfalls in design. Like I said not enough emphasis on construction experience as they do on education.

Assistant Project Manager

Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGiven a lot of responsibility very early in position, allowed to be heavily involved with all aspects of project management, able to work with several different PMs. Great culture.

ConsLong hours, cover job site nights and weekends, thought that my efforts might get recognized by senior management - they did not.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the staff which facilitates the success of your projects and ensure their satisfaction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Change is needed.

ProsGreat benefits, competitive compensation. Seems to be a great working atmosphere in the office. A lot of community service and involvement with charities.

ConsLack of career growth and work life balance on the field side.
    There is a huge disconnect between the field and office. (us vs them)
    Lack of understanding regarding larger scale projects.
    There are no conversations from upper management regarding career development. Most likely because leadership does not believe in it / understand its importance / want to be ousted.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul leadership / project management structure and personnel.

It was a great company to work for Construction Professionals; limited career for Admin / Support Roles"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt was as a fast paced, high energy company and usually fun place place to work, access to management and to participate as much you wanted to

ConsThere was little growth for Corporate Services sides (IT, Office Services, Project Administrators) and a trend of Women in Admin and Men on Operations

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage good employees to stay with better pay and develop opportunities them rather than letting them leave.

Don't drink the kool-aid!

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) Providence, RI

ProsGreat benefits including 100% health insurance, dental, vision. Employee Owned. Always some party/gathering planned.

ConsPlan on working 60 plus hours but only being compensated for 40. Favoritism runs deep and watch out for the cliques! Slow to advance anyone up within the company, so be patient!

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the hard workers and people that make them look good! Stop playing favorites and chastising people that have to take direction from higher-ups that simply dont know what they are doing sometimes!

Great Benefits -- Lousy Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat Benefits; Lots of Free Food; Lots of Free time

ConsFavorites succeed even without having skills/knowledge; personnel does nothing to resolve issues although they boast about helping some of their 'team building' exercises actually hurt, single out people in negative way

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at turnover rates in some departments; look at who is socializing TOO MUCH; look at favoritism

Slow Burn

Project Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWork life balance is good for long standing employees

ConsVery political and hard to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementAward based on merit not favorites

Looks great on paper, in reality, not so much.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOn paper, SDC looks like a great place to work, having been awarded several "Great Place To Work" awards, etc. But all that glitters is not gold. There are some great people at Shawmut. Their dedication to charity and good works is exemplary and really shows. It's employee owned, if you are there long enough to reap the associated benefits. Many people leave for their more successful competitor, Suffolk Construction.

ConsManagement is terrible. Look up the word "stovepipe" and you'll find Shawmut. Zero interdepartmental cooperation or communication. Very "us" versus "them" mentality internally. The concept of "favorites" there is legendary. If you're in good with the right people, your job is guaranteed for life no matter what. Turnover is high and has been for the past five years. Workers out in the field seem happiest. Employees in core functions are largely miserable. If you have an employee issue, Human Resources is useless. Temper tantrums and screaming fits by senior management are frequent and tolerated. I once witnessed a near knock-down, drag out fight between two senior management people. (One man and one woman.) Threats were made, including those of physical violence. I am stunned to this day by that exchange. Senior management often behaves most unprofessionally.

Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate honestly, openly and often with employees. Lack of communication and lack of any sense of team are your greatest weaknesses.

Most Employee Friendly Company

Intern/Coop (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest management and great staff all around.

ConsWorking in the construction industry in general can lead to working long hours each day.

Worked for Shawmut Design and Construction? Contribute to the Community!