Shawnee Mission Medical Center

Shawnee Mission Medical Center Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

Sam Turner Sr.

One of my favorite jobs ever.

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, everyone is always so nice and helpful, especially to those who are new. It's a big hospital, but people still remember you after they've met you once.

Cons

The only challenge is that the campus is pretty big. Being in marketing, sometimes it was a trek to get materials around but they have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere on campus so it's not even a true "con."

Management is a little different now than when I was there, but sounds like it's still wonderful.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Merriam, KS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Merriam, KS

I have been working at Shawnee Mission Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good teamwork among employees on my floor, awesome unit manager; fellow RN's really pitch in to help during difficult times, manager has been very involved in employees careers, and listens to suggestions.

Cons

Poor upper level management, mediocre benefits that seem to get a little worse every year. Salary increase in 7 years time hasn't been very impressive, despite continuously positive yearly reviews.

Be more visible to the people you lead; I've worked as a nurse at this hospital for seven years, and never even laid eyes on the chief nursing officer (to my knowledge). There's very little respect for upper management among the rank and file RN's in my experience, and the semi-recent change in CEO hasn't improved this.

Excellent

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center as an intern

Pros

Team oriented, good leadership, coordinated, professional, friendly

Cons

good policies, management might have some work to do

Na

Registered nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Merriam, KS

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, physicians and nurse practitioners nice and professional to work with.

Cons

Does not feel like the company cares about employees, salary increases not commensurate with annual reviews (example: all employees received same salary increase regardless of whether annual review was exceptional or poor).

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Shawnee Mission Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly people.

Cons

Questionable management, religiously driven.

Listen to employees.

Awesome

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center

Pros

Really good benefits,great pay, great environment, awesome teams some).

Cons

Poor Management and not very diverse

Really listen to your employee and don't be one sided.

Don't get injured

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center

Pros

Faith based hospital. Coworkers I could count on in an emergency.

Cons

After a back injury, it became very apparent that the motto of "improving health through Christian service" did not apply to employees. I was asked when I would be "a real nurse" again by other nurses I'd previously admired and treated as if I was in everyone's way while on light duty. Incompetent security.

I actually left in 2006 and the CEO has since changed. I'm not sure what the culture is like now but I hope it's improved from when you received it.

Changed drastically over the years

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good location, nice people, decent pay and benefits. Nice bldg. Town hall meetings are good for communication.

Cons

Attitude has changed from caring for patients and now is completely in it for the money. No advancement and middle management is power hungry and no longer cares about employees. No one acknowledges employees hard work.

Middle management should be more closely monitored. Backgrounds should be checked.

Good people, bad management, adverage benefits

I have been working at Shawnee Mission Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really enjoy working with some of my peers, patient interactions are generally positive.

Cons

Upper managment same as any other profit seeking entity, looking for cost cutting while raising prices for customers. Problem is, this means employees are paying more and more for benefits, all the while those benifits are paying out less. Employees are also increasingly not recieving raises, bonuses, or any other incentives to improve themselves and/or the organization.

I also have observed a great deal of infighting between departments, particuarly any department that needs to deal with the behavioral health department. This often went on without patients knowing, but still has an effect on the quality of care they recieve.

As mentioned by another reviewer, I have also noticed some extreamly negative attitudes from the older staff. These negative attitudes are often take out on coworkers, particuarly the younger or coworkers in different roles. Occasionally patients get the brunt of these negative attitudes, affecting their treatment and satisfaction.

This organization also seems obsessed with satisfaction scores, and while thatMHU typically only admits people able to police their own actions is all well on most units, this presents and issue for the behavioral health department. Part of our job is to set boundries, but this lowers our scores. Due to this staff often feel uncomfortable setting or enforcing boundries when it is necessary. Many staff fear neither direct nor upper managment will support any decision that makes a paying patient unhappy or uncomfortable.

Support your employees better when they have to make a call on the floor, provided the call fits in the guidlines of appropriate care for the unit the patient is on. Review the benefits, SMMC was once one of the best places to work due in part to it's benefits, now it's about adverage for an area hospital. Pass the hospital profits primarily onto the employees, this can be bonuses, raises, etc., this will help make for happier nurses and staff and improve your patient satifaction scores.

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Patient Care Associate in Merriam, KS

I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Radiology department was full of very nice people who were willing to help you with anything you might need. The management was friendly and always seemed to really care about you and what you need.

Cons

Other employees would call in sick for work. Nothing was ever done to reprimand them. It felt as if being a loyal employee wasn't a prized quality.