Sheetz

Sheetz Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz

Stan Sheetz

Pros:
  • "The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good pay for the area, benefits are decent"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lots of hours, can be stressful, open 24/7 including holiday"
    in 11 reviews
  • "open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Never boring!

Salesperson (Current Employee)
    Wheeling, WV

ProsThis is one of the few places I have worked where they say their focus is on the customer and they mean it! Working at Sheetz, I have never found myself in the position of having to choose between doing right by the customer and following company policy.
         The management is responsive to your needs for specific days off and can usually work your schedule around them, given reasonable notice. The work is fast paced, but not physically demanding. There are a lot of varied tasks, so it doesn't get boring.
         Training is via a program called Z-Force, a computer delivered, interactive system that gives you an overview and detailed instruction for the tasks that you will be working on with an experienced staff member. The combination of instruction followed by hands on practice is especially useful for making sure everyone is following the same procedures. It also makes you feel more confident when tackling the job for the first time.
         The management is very helpful and supportive. Pay is higher than usual for this type of job and increments happen automatically on your anniversary date. Benefits are generous and are available to full timers (32 hrs) at 3 months. This company also offers benefits to part timers (20 hours) after 2 years of service. Another plus is that this company offers paid vacation time to all employees after their first year; the amount being based on your average weekly hours.

ConsEvery workforce has personality clashes. The management at my store does everything possible to keep them to a minimum, without making anyone feel pressured. The only thing I can identify as a negative would be the schedule. When a store is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, somebody is going to have to work a holiday or an awkward shift or two. That is the downside of working retail.

Great Company to Work for!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsSheetz is a great company to work for with a great culture and plenty of career advancement opportunities.

ConsWhen you are a member of salary management at times you put way to many hours in. The five days of work most my time is spent at my store. Also, the bonus needs to be allocated differently Assistants only get ten percent of what the Store manager makes but yet some Assistants do most the work while the Stroe manager just "oversees" the operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the allocation of the Bonus between Assistant Manager and Store Manager.

Best company to work for, hands down!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Bellwood, PA

ProsSheetz goes above and beyond to make sure customers have a great experience, so they teach their employees the importance of extraordinary customer service. They also have a great reward system so hard workers and dedicated employees are recognized for their work.

ConsFast-paced environment so if you have a hard time keeping up, it's probably not for you. Always introducing new ideas and food items.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

lots of work

ProsGood pay and it was very relaxed.

ConsMinimum pay, lots of hours.

Assistant manager

ProsGood starting pay, quarterly bonuses and internal promotions.

Best advice that I can give anyone.
    If you are thinking about working at sheetz, go to the store you are applying to and just watch for awhile. Try going in during several different times if possible.

The company itself is great and has very clear rules and a good training system WHEN FOLLOWED BY MANAGEMENT. This is where I suggest going to the store first, because some stores do it amazingly and everyone gets along and has fun. Other than it getting really busy at times and people occasionally calling off it can be great.

On the other hand I have seen stores that do horrible because the management does not communicate or follow the companies rules.

If you do get a job here I would recommend doing whatever it takes to get Ahold of someone in corporate if you are having an issue in your store. The main issue is that they don't know what goes on in your store. But if you let them know about a major problem and follow up if nothing changes then they will not stand for it and make sure it changes.

ConsGreat company, store to store can be drastically different, one store could make you love the company and never want to leave while another could make you quit in weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a more hands on approach when an issue is called into the employee hotline.

Great place to work!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    St. Marys, PA

ProsGreat people, benefits, and discounts.

ConsThey could pay a little better for the work we do. It's a lot of work, Sheetz is always busy and we bust our butts every day, every shift, and there are times it is impossible to get everything done because it is so busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be the leader and work with other employees and do your share of the work.

I miss working here!!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Greensboro, NC

ProsI absolutely loved working for this company. Everyone at my store was amazing, management and associates. I felt more of a family with the people I spent my shifts with than actual blood relatives a lot of the time. Given the chance, and if this company ever came to central Florida, I would love to work for them again!!!

ConsThe only con I have is that I don't work for them any more.

Sheetz is a wonderful company. Good pay, great benefits, and excellent incentives.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

ProsI received a very good base salary and enjoyed quarterly bonuses. I t is a very challenging environment and your management skills will be put to the test.

ConsLong hours and call offs can create a poor quality of life. The individual store goals can be somewhat unrealistic at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch every move and decision that you make. There is so much competition that some people are willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead. It can be a cut throat environment at times.

Sheetz is ok

ProsThe money can be good. A lot of stores try and promote a family atmosphere within themselves.

ConsWork life balance can be a problem. People always call off so you are getting called at least twice a week to come in. The new trend right now is to constantly be short staffed. the mangers state that they don't have the hours to give anyone but they then hire new people at least one a month. Turn over is high.

salesperson

Sales Person (Current Employee)

ProsA great working environment if you like fast-paced, busy work and enjoy engaging with the general public. Decent salary and benefits are offered to Sheetz employees. Being a team member at Sheetz is like being part of a culture or society whose main focus is assuring each customer leaves feeling like they are a part of that culture/society.

ConsSheetz locations can get extremely busy, so handling the tasks list, which insures each store is clean and stocked from shift to shift, becomes a daily challenge, but attainable if one stays diligent between sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a chance on some of the older employees when it comes to promotions. We are still just as eager as the younger employees when it comes to advancement within the company. I'm a widow of 1.5 years after being married for 25 years, and I've raised a son, and co-owned 4 different businesses over the 25 years I was married. I, as well as other older employees, can offer a lifetime of experience in prioritizing ,juggling tasks, time-management, making practical decisions, people management, putting others first, tolerance, budgeting, the list goes on. Often, I feel Sheetz only wants people in their 20s-30s in store-level management positions because that's all I see when I stop in at every location I come across as I travel around.. I'm about to test this theory by applying for a management position, so we shall see if I'm on target with my thinking. To wrap this up, I would like to challenge management to take a second look at the older, employees when it comes to advancement. We are up to the task, and the obstacles of sick children, early school release, extra-curricular school events, day care/baby-sitting issues are all things of the past for us. We are wide open...

Worked for Sheetz? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sheetz reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sheetz CEO Stan Sheetz. All 153 reviews posted anonymously by Sheetz employees.