Sheetz

Sheetz Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz

Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Good pay for the area, benefits are decent(in 25 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of hours, can be stressful, open 24/7 including holiday(in 11 reviews)

• open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes(in 9 reviews)

Horrible!

Salesperson (Former Employee) Monroeville, PA

ProsNone, bad experience. Will NEVER work for Sheetz again! They let employees friends hang out for hours and never leave.

ConsPoor management! Some knew how to speak to people but two did not. Management would leave nasty notes posted on walls which is completely unprofessional! I have been in management for 11 years and have never done this immature behavior. I was not a manager for Sheetz and would never want to be either.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not only promote from within and if you do, follow up to make sure they have people skills and can delegate tasks!

Decent Pay but not worth your energy

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Clarks Summit, PA

ProsDecent pay, open 24 hours so more positions available, half off food while on the clock

ConsManagers are unreasonable, including district manager, higher ups don't care about the peons who work at the store level, all they care about is the bottom line

Advice to Senior ManagementDont treat your people like crap if you want to run an effective company

Moral in the store I worked at is very low.

Team Member (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsPay is decent for the job

ConsThe store I worked at always has had moral problem mostly caused by management. the current manager has made moral lower than ever. he treats employees like they are robots and does not care about them or there families. he changes schedules without informing employees then call and threatens to right them up when they are not there. he puts people on schedules then crosses them off. he has made a very hostile work environment. he also had a complaint about a blocked emergency exit from a customer and just said keep the other door in front of it closed.

The district manager backs her managers without question. She half way investigates problems before she says they would not do that. managers have gotten away with everything from sexual harassment (this was a supervisor at the time now promoted to assistant manager) to server poor quality food made in a way that is against company policy.

other sheetz districts might be good to work at but not this one

Advice to Senior ManagementThe main office of the company needs to go in an clear house from the district manager down put people in place that have had management trains (not just sheetz manager training). This would solve many of the problems these stores have. With food now a main priority in the company they need managers that know food quality and truly believe in it.

another thing that would help is take a page from wawa have manager that have the food service as their main focus and separate retail end of the business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No integrity

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Perry, OH

ProsPay is better then comparable jobs. My co-workers were fun. Quarterly bonuses from $50-300. Potential benefits, which are good.

ConsManagement lacked integrity in all three stores I worked in. Favoritism was outrageous. There could be a lot of drama, like any place, but the managers always fed into it. Management acted and spoke to employees very condescendingly and at times downright disrespectful. Sexual jokes were commonplace It was just a very unprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter hiring practices need to be put in effect ASAP and current management need to be re-trained and watched more closely by HR.

Overworked, under appreciated, set up to fail.

Salesperson (Former Employee) Pitts, PA

ProsMoney and benefits are good.

ConsNot appreciated, often misled or lied to.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites.

Paid Slave Labor

Sales Person (Former Employee) Plains, PA

ProsSheetz offers decent benefits for employees. Also, it is impossible to be bored when working at Sheetz, since there are so many different duties.

ConsHonestly, I'm baffled by all the positive reviews of Sheetz employment. Working for Sheetz was the worst experience of my life. On my first day of employment, the training program was down, so I was placed directly onto the floor with zero training. I had no clue what I was doing, and the managers and co-workers decided that the best they could do was to stand around and chat while I gained the "experience" of making three or four food orders at one time, when I was not even taught the location of the ketchup.

I was criticized for every little mistake I made, and weeks later, when I was making orders faster than employees that had been working there for several years, I was still told that I was moving too slow.

Despite the terrible management and abysmal employee camaraderie, the worst part about working at Sheetz was the break policy. When working an 8 hour shift, I would only receive a single 20 minute break and no lunch. The remaining 7 hours and 40 minutes were spent constantly running from one counter to the next. There is no way spending that much time on one's feet with a racing heart can be healthy.

Working for Sheetz is detrimental to one's physical and emotional health, and accepting a job at Sheetz will eviscerate one's body and spirit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that employees are adequately trained before being placed on the floor. Reinforce the concept that all employees are equal, no matter how long they have been working for you.

Employee Loyalty is Sad

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsManagerial pay is good, when the store is allowed to perform.

ConsEmployees are coddled and given too much freedom to the point that it makes responsibility 100% optional. This may appeal to you if you are lazy and have no desire to work together as a team, but otherwise it is a huge barrier. Sheetz has become too big for their own good and will be on their way down. It's a shame too, because it used to be a good, reputable, family company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit babying the squeaky wheels. Ensure that district and regional managers have a clue.

one of the worst working experiences I have ever had

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Lynchburg, VA

ProsSheetz had a decent pay rate and decent benefits available. If not for that factor, I would not have stayed working there as long as I did.

ConsThe manager basically sat in the back room and expected everyone else to do her job for her. The assistant managers did the same thing. We (shift supervisors) got stuck doing everything they didnt want to do. The employees were lazy and constantly sneaking off for coffee or cigarette breaks in the back room. It was the most disorganized poorly run work environment I have ever been in. No respect. No organization. No structure. Awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that actually do their jobs and are willing to put in just as much effort as the people they are in charge of. Don't hire people who just sit on their butts and boss everyone else around. It makes employees loose respect.

Turns your life upside down and makes you go insane

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeginning pay rates are really good and you have so much work to do that time goes extremely fast. That sums up the pros.

ConsWhere should I start?

Lying. Laziness. Attitude. That sums up at least half the employees including management.

Employees who suck and would be fired from any place that had some sense are put on pedestals. Sheetz is so afraid of getting bad publicity or getting sued because of how employees are treated that they are actually making things worse on themselves. You can't allow these people to determine the way you run your company. You let someone think they run the show and they will take you down before you know it.

This company is delusional if it thinks it's going to try some new way of thinking and go on and on about being the best place to work. It's not being executed properly and crap rolls downhill. I'd love to find a store where the people are all happy. I know they're out there and the difference is that they have a staff of people who do their jobs and do them well. I doubt those stores are hiring people who come in and mope around with a stick up their *blank* and treat the customers like garbage. Too bad this place is letting some of their stores fail. They have so many stores I know they can't be in each one, so they have a chain of command and unfortunately people are placed into these positions when they wouldn't even have barely made it as a sales person.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Stan Sheetz: what you want, your idea for what your company should be, isn't happening at a lot of your stores. People are miserable, they beg for help, they get stomped on for doing so. if you only knew what really went on way down the chain of command it would make you sick.

not for me

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Elverson, PA

ProsAlways very busy, which passed the time. Good product, food, clean place to work. benefits, and pay not bad to start.

ConsStore manager can make all the difference, has there favorites. Lots of backstabbing, gossiping behind other employees backs. Terrible scheduling, would work till 2am have to be back in at 12am that night and that was considered your day off, then was scheduled for a mandatory unpaid managers meeting at 3pm that same day, and was told "welcome to sheetz". Goodbye!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe consider employees personal life, and sleep time would help with morale and retention of employees. Have some form of formal training available, not just a minimum wage college student showing you around.

Worked for Sheetz? Contribute to the Community!