Sheetz

Updated August 6, 2014

3.9

Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Good pay for the area, benefits are decent (in 25 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of hours, can be stressful, open 24/7 including holiday (in 11 reviews)

• open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Culture and Work Environment!

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Sheetz goes out of their way to hire positive, fun employees and the management is great! It's the first job I've had where everyone's voice is truly heard. I had a chance to meet and speak with multiple members of the Sheetz family even as just a shift supervisor. They are really in touch with their company, and they really, really care about the employees.

Cons

Work load and expectations are outrageous.

Better training would be great, but otherwise great job!

Great Company to Work for!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mechanicsburg, PA

Pros

Sheetz is a great company to work for with a great culture and plenty of career advancement opportunities.

Cons

When you are a member of salary management at times you put way to many hours in. The five days of work most my time is spent at my store. Also, the bonus needs to be allocated differently Assistants only get ten percent of what the Store manager makes but yet some Assistants do most the work while the Stroe manager just "oversees" the operation.

Change the allocation of the Bonus between Assistant Manager and Store Manager.

Never boring!

Current Employee - Salesperson  in  Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Salesperson in Wheeling, WV

Pros

This is one of the few places I have worked where they say their focus is on the customer and they mean it! Working at Sheetz, I have never found myself in the position of having to choose between doing right by the customer and following company policy.
         The management is responsive to your needs for specific days off and can usually work your schedule around them, given reasonable notice. The work is fast paced, but not physically demanding. There are a lot of varied tasks, so it doesn't get boring.
         Training is via a program called Z-Force, a computer delivered, interactive system that gives you an overview and detailed instruction for the tasks that you will be working on with an experienced staff member. The combination of instruction followed by hands on practice is especially useful for making sure everyone is following the same procedures. It also makes you feel more confident when tackling the job for the first time.
         The management is very helpful and supportive. Pay is higher than usual for this type of job and increments happen automatically on your anniversary date. Benefits are generous and are available to full timers (32 hrs) at 3 months. This company also offers benefits to part timers (20 hours) after 2 years of service. Another plus is that this company offers paid vacation time to all employees after their first year; the amount being based on your average weekly hours.

Cons

Every workforce has personality clashes. The management at my store does everything possible to keep them to a minimum, without making anyone feel pressured. The only thing I can identify as a negative would be the schedule. When a store is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, somebody is going to have to work a holiday or an awkward shift or two. That is the downside of working retail.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company to work for, hands down!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bellwood, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bellwood, PA

Pros

Sheetz goes above and beyond to make sure customers have a great experience, so they teach their employees the importance of extraordinary customer service. They also have a great reward system so hard workers and dedicated employees are recognized for their work.

Cons

Fast-paced environment so if you have a hard time keeping up, it's probably not for you. Always introducing new ideas and food items.

lots of work

Pros

Good pay and it was very relaxed.

Cons

Minimum pay, lots of hours.

Assistant manager

Pros

Good starting pay, quarterly bonuses and internal promotions.

Best advice that I can give anyone.
    If you are thinking about working at sheetz, go to the store you are applying to and just watch for awhile. Try going in during several different times if possible.

The company itself is great and has very clear rules and a good training system WHEN FOLLOWED BY MANAGEMENT. This is where I suggest going to the store first, because some stores do it amazingly and everyone gets along and has fun. Other than it getting really busy at times and people occasionally calling off it can be great.

On the other hand I have seen stores that do horrible because the management does not communicate or follow the companies rules.

If you do get a job here I would recommend doing whatever it takes to get Ahold of someone in corporate if you are having an issue in your store. The main issue is that they don't know what goes on in your store. But if you let them know about a major problem and follow up if nothing changes then they will not stand for it and make sure it changes.

Cons

Great company, store to store can be drastically different, one store could make you love the company and never want to leave while another could make you quit in weeks.

Take a more hands on approach when an issue is called into the employee hotline.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  St. Marys, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in St. Marys, PA

Pros

Great people, benefits, and discounts.

Cons

They could pay a little better for the work we do. It's a lot of work, Sheetz is always busy and we bust our butts every day, every shift, and there are times it is impossible to get everything done because it is so busy.

To be the leader and work with other employees and do your share of the work.

Sheetz is ok

Pros

The money can be good. A lot of stores try and promote a family atmosphere within themselves.

Cons

Work life balance can be a problem. People always call off so you are getting called at least twice a week to come in. The new trend right now is to constantly be short staffed. the mangers state that they don't have the hours to give anyone but they then hire new people at least one a month. Turn over is high.

I miss working here!!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

Pros

I absolutely loved working for this company. Everyone at my store was amazing, management and associates. I felt more of a family with the people I spent my shifts with than actual blood relatives a lot of the time. Given the chance, and if this company ever came to central Florida, I would love to work for them again!!!

Cons

The only con I have is that I don't work for them any more.

Sheetz is a wonderful company. Good pay, great benefits, and excellent incentives.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I received a very good base salary and enjoyed quarterly bonuses. I t is a very challenging environment and your management skills will be put to the test.

Cons

Long hours and call offs can create a poor quality of life. The individual store goals can be somewhat unrealistic at times.

Watch every move and decision that you make. There is so much competition that some people are willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead. It can be a cut throat environment at times.

Worked for Sheetz? Contribute to the Community!