Sheetz Reviews

Reset
3.4
Sheetz President and CEO Stan Sheetz
Stan Sheetz

Pros
  • Good pay and it was very relaxed (in 27 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are decent for a convenience gas station (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • open 24/7/365, mean working weird shifts sometimes (in 12 reviews)

• open 24/7/365 (good for getting hours, not good for having a "normal" life) (in 9 reviews)

Wish it was a better company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chesterfield, VA

I worked at Sheetz (More than a year)

Pros

They pay pretty well starting out but they don't give great raises.they work with your schedule. Pretty good discounts while your on the clock.

Cons

They management can be really bad the don't look out for employees. They don't like to help when your busy.

Advice to Management

To help out their employees. To give praise when needed. Pay your employees what they are worth. Don't put everything on them.

Not worth the heartache

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ashland, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ashland, VA

I worked at Sheetz full-time

Pros

Base starting wages and salaries, everyone hired at same rate, assistant managers and higher salaried. Usually make great friends with co-workers.

Cons

Inconsistent management, higher management incompetent (for instance, holding a district wide meeting, explaining some new policies the DM wants us to follow, go back to store and instruct staff to follow new policies, customer service issues arise during implementation, as DM was warned during meeting, DM gets customer complaints, DM calls swearing at management for issues with new policies, informs us to ignore them, it's just for show when the big boss is in town). Hours are always cut to below needs on every shift but the one's the store manager is working. When big boss comes to town, manager pulls three extra people to first shift to make sure it looks like he wants it, then he thinks, "store's running great on a 10% hour reduction, could probably even cut more from the budget!" Pay for management, assistants and above, no where near what is required for the work load expected. Expect to work long hours, be dropped from full time rolls, have your schedule reduced or changed at the last minute, be asked to stay late, have managers use the schedule as a weapon or reward, and to be required to come in to work with no regard to circumstance like weather, child birth, or death.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outside managers that don't have any idea how we operate. We have an awesome and unique culture, and leading a team that is proud of that takes someone that was promoted from within. Support your in store team, realizing that they are your only connection to customers and that if they are unhappy, customers see it!

3. Very Pleasant College Job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid well for type of job, I went from $9.75 to $11.50 in three years, did not move up to shift manager. Gave vacation time. Culture was positive, upbeat, customer-friendly. Left me with a good impression of the company. Management worked with me coming and going on college breaks.

Cons

Some people were stuck working the overnights. As Sheetz is 24/7 overnights and holidays were sometimes issues. Worked 3 hours on Christmas each year, as the store divided up the day amongst everyone. Was fair, but be aware of working holidays.

Advice to Management

Connect with the lowest level workers. They have the best grasp of how things work "at the ground level." They can offer advice on simplifying procedures and which products are not really worth the extra equipment and effort.

5. Sheetz is one of the best places to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is fun, great benefits such as health, dental, and vision. Yearly raises. You also get a paid vacation if you are with the company for 6 years.

Cons

If you hours fall below a certain threshold, you can lose your medical benefits. Facial hair is a "No-No"

Hectic work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and operated company, the family really tries to take care of their employees

Cons

The work environment is extremely fast paced and many times you are very understaffed which makes working there miserable at times.

Advice to Management

The stores need quite a bit more labor to operate at the expectations of the corporate standards.

I work there now 02/22/15

Current Employee - Clerk in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Sheetz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50 percent off meals, people our great 1 person I don't like I get paid 9.25 and get a .60 cent raise in October

Cons

Omg , a lot of the times they go over your availability If your not careful you will be schedule 10 hour shifts 9 hour shift Without being asked a lot of the people I started a month before me or three months before me either quit or got fired

Advice to Management

Hire more people and cross train don't just hire somebody for front register and then just hire somebody for the table cross train

8. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, bonuses, benefits, good hours

Cons

hard to move up, very strict rules and regulations, stressfull

9. Eh...

Former Employee - Salesperson in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Salesperson in Richmond, VA

I worked at Sheetz part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, Short Hours, Relaxed Environment,

Cons

No Consistency in Hours/Shifts Poor Training Lazy Managers

10. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

Our culture, our family values and connections with the community. We have great people and customers can't get enough. We are a great place to work!

Cons

It sometimes feels like we bite off more than we can chew as a company with too many roll outs at once. It's hard to keep up and perfect each new thing. We are fast paced, and always changing but we need to keep up the moral and make sure everyone has sufficient training to make sure we all have pride in what we do.

Advice to Management

Have more hours to work with to develop our people and work on connections. More realistic training programs for new employees.

11. Pays the bills, but it's not something you would want to make a career of.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA

Pros

The insurance benefits offer great coverage and are pretty inexpensive. The staff is very close-knit and for the most part easy to manage. You will definitely develop some lasting friendships while you're there. The customers are usually very friendly and many are regulars.

Cons

The hours can be horrible. Store Managers play favorites and will buddy up with certain Assistant Managers on 1st shift (7am-4pm), otherwise you work second shift (4pm-1am). Sometimes the expectations of the store from senior management are unrealistic with the resources you have to work with (not enough staff, layout of facilities, aging equipment, etc.). There is definitely a lack of communication from the store manager to the assistant managers ; I cannot stress this enough. You are expected to work all holidays as well.

Advice to Management

Store Managers need to communicate better with Assistant Managers and Shift Supervisors (communications lines are sometimes closed and it makes it impossible to do a good job and deliver the customer service Sheetz is expecting).

RSS Feed </> Embed