Shell

Shell Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum

Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere(in 46 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some(in 9 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making(in 11 reviews)

As longs as you were not managed by someone from the good ole boys network, things were great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVariety of interesting work; nice co-workers. Chance to see many areas of the company and different parts of the world. Salary and benefits were excellent. Opportunities for job training were also very good. Opportunities to work outside the US were also good.

ConsAlways rotating jobs; Company was always downsizing, moving jobs to foreign locations. entering a market to leave a few years later. Go ole boy network was alive and well. At times too many layers of management and very hierarchial.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many politics and too many layers of management. Deal with entrenched old line management.

Nice work environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and offices not cubes

ConsUnstable due to layoffs unless long time seniority or engineer

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to changes that would increase work productivity

Ok for recent engineer graduates seeking early career training. All others face long odds.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary and benefits.
    Internal job posting system communicating details about company openings.
    Global presence with adequate balance sheet and financial controls.

ConsLimited development opportunities.
    Antiquated and poor systems in many areas create issues for employees.
    Siloed operations.
    Struggling in North America.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp and align performance management systems.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy job good hours

Manager (Former Employee) Claremont, CA

ProsThe hours were good, I had a good work life balance. It's a pretty easy job, as long as you're good on excel and the computer, as well as book keeping.

ConsThere isnt really much room to move up. This is a great job for someone who is married and isnt the only breadwinner in the family. Other than that I think it was a decent job.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should get commission on sales, or profit sharing benefits.

Great people

Software Developer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsRun like a small government

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up

Has lost its way

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat long term benefits, great people to be around. Lots of various groups to move around to once your window is open. Work life balance is ok depending on the job.

ConsCareer advancement is managed by incompetent HR and management, company is rudderless, company politics have taken over. Poor stock performance affects bonuses.

Fantastic Culture and Focus on People

HSE Leader (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for Shell for 7 years and then went to another oil major. It's culture, pay, benefits and focus on people is what I loved most about my time there. Diversity and inclusion was far more mature than most corporations.

ConsMy last role was challenging as I tried to balance the birth of my first child. I left for better more progressive "parent" benefits like on site day care and less travel.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promotions for internal folks. You don't need someone with 30 years to lead a team nor should you have to leave the company to be promoted. Use the talent you've invested! I think most of the colleagues I spoke with feel a bit stifled in role and want advancement.

work life balance, high pay, apathy

Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Prosgreat salary and benefits and absolutely fantastic work-life balance. work 80 hours every two weeks with every other Friday off (called 9-80 schedule). salary boost of ~5% every 6 months. some travel for training. there are some really good people in the younger crowd, but the general apathy pulls them down (see below). outside of downstream, people are international and tolerant. worked with people from different countries with different religions and cultures.

Conspeople really don't care, and they get away with not caring. it's all about maintaining a facade of professionalism when in fact you're taking 2-hour lunches, leaving work early, and relying on the consensus-driven culture to shrug off any blame when deadlines aren't met. promotions are seniority-based, not merit-based, so you have to wait a while if you want to have influence. Americans don't get to work internationally. the jet-setter lifestyles are more reserved for the Europeans.

Advice to Senior Managementreward people on a more immediate scale and more heavily for high contributions. being told you're 20% more productive than average is great to hear, but if it doesn't result in a salary boost or more influence, it loses its meaning. putting in 60 hours per week for a high five and an extra couple thousand dollars at the end of the year is not worth it to the average employee, when the alternative is to sit on your hands and yawn through the 40 hour work week.

I had a great experience at Shell

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsI love working with people at Shell. They are really smart, friendly and supportive. They treated me with respect. My supervisor and mentor are such great people. I learned lots of things after my internship. Besides, I had an opportunity to work on a really interesting project.

ConsETRAY test was super difficult and I don't think that's a good way to test interns' capacity.

Best company I've been a part of.

Operations Intern (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsGenuine care for employees. Benefits. Personnel safety. Work/life balance. Atmosphere.

ConsI have no negative aspects to share.

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!