Shell

Shell Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum

Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere(in 46 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some(in 9 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making(in 11 reviews)

A major learning experience.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Galena Park, TX

ProsGreat teamwork ethic. Everyone was eager to help. Many resources available to assist in the growth and upward movement of an employees career.

ConsIn the period of time I worked for this company, I can honestly say that their were no cons. It was a great company to work for. A layoff was not a reflection of an employees performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise to offer to upper management.

One of the better Oil & Gas companies to work for..

IT Contractor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros9/80s and somewhat flexible hours.
    Telecommuting can be an option if you are lucky to have the right manager.
    Pay as a contractor was market rate or better.

ConsNothing major comes to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the European style of management by committee control projects..

Experience at shell

ProsThey care about their employees and pay extremely well. There is a great work-life balance and Houston is a great city.

ConsHouston can be a bad place to be if you don't like driving/city-traffic and/or the huge summer heat.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great people, great benefits!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTop notch benefits with incredible work-life balance. All staff members are extremely intelligent, outgoing, approachable and innovative - makes work a true joy!

ConsLike any large company, there are many links to the chain - have to know how to seek out the right people for the right information to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

In n Out

Cashier (Current Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsI enjoy seeing my regular customers also they make my day.

ConsSometimes we all have to deal with an idiot customer n that there can make your day HUH LOL!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe be up front and treat employees like how u want to be treated.!!!!

Great Until Terrible

Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBesides the terrible recruitment sector of the US, the company has great people who are willing to help you at any time. Everyone cares about your success and will help you reach your goals except the recruitment sector.

ConsPassed the interview process and interned for the company for two summers. Their new process as of summer 2013 was to make the e-tray 1/3 of the intern assessment process. No matter how good your scores are in the other areas, the e-tray will overpower everything. Only speed readers will be successful on the e-tray. You could be a technical genius and recruitment will turn you down if you don't pass their test. They turned away the majority of their interns due to this test. Many existing shell managers have admitted to doing terrible on this test further proving it is a terrible measure of intelligence or in shell terms "capacity". The company has no loyalty to its interns and will turn down anyone based on this irrelevant test regardless of amount of time served.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh upper management knows that recruitment has made some very poor decisions and should work harder to correct recruitment's mistakes.

Dream company to work for!

Petrophysicist (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsAbility to focus on individual needs on a case by case basis despite being such a large organization makes shell the ideal company to work for.

ConsCompany varies region by region, and some regions are better to work for than others! However no shortage of talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, keep it up!

I had 30 years working as an Analyst/Administrative Assistant at Shell.

Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsYou continue to learn about the business, the employees, management are great people to work with. During the 30 years I have work in a lot of department and all where great areas.

ConsI could not fine any cons. I am a people person and I believe in helping when asked or if I see that help is needed,

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect with your team. Get to know them, everyone is different.

Great company

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood benefits, believe in work/life balance, opportunities to move around the company and work abroad

ConsBureaucratic, IT doesn't really have the business's trust, lots of re-orging, job opps are very dependent upon networking and often politics

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a path and stick to it

Challenging and rewarding

Energy Trading Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIT projects generally have generous budgets so contract/consulting can be financially lucrative. The corporate culture is friendly, laid back, and generally accomodating for personal time needs.

ConsThe corporate culture is very protective of its poorly-productive employees and will jump through hoops to keep them working even if it means the employee is damaging to the goals of the project. The company often uses consulting agencies to direct and manage a portion of a large IT project, but these agencies do not have adequate oversight by the company managers. Therefore, the agencies can be rather wasteful with their inefficiencies and billing rates while the company managers seem to look the other way. The agencies know they can be inefficient and still get paid so there is inadequate incentive to do good work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more critical of the work performed by contract staff provided by consulting agancies. The resumes should be reviewed so the agencies do not bring in green and inexperienced workers who provided falsified CV/resumes. There are too many people working on IT projects that fail to have proper work experience, but the company staff puts too much emphasis on the contract rate, ie: a lower rate must be better. Without validating their experience history, it reinforces that people should lie and cheat on their resumes to get offered a position.

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!