Shell

Updated November 23, 2014
3.8

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum
Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere (in 51 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some (in 10 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

122 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Goal Zero means Safety First - everyone should go home the way that they arrive

Current Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shell cares for and supports the people of Shell. We're not just a number. In every meeting, we hold a safety moment, sharing something that can make us safer at work, on the road and at home.

Shell hires the best people... People you will know and respect and enjoy for the rest of your life. No matter the work you do in Shell, you will generally find good people to work with. When times get tough, deadlines need to be made, another change initiative comes through, it's you colleagues that get you through. Your a team. You grow stronger with each other to deliver high quality product.

Cons

We have to stay in a job for four years, before we can move to the next role. Of, course a reorg will occur at some point during that 4 years which may enable you to move to a different role.

Continue to care for your staff. Shell holds the loyalty of its staff because of the care. We are not a number, like one of the other majors treat their employees as.

Great company, great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, manageable workloads, and hard work is rewarded.

Cons

There is a clear, deliberate divide between staff and contractors.

A challenging experience

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of this job was the opportunity to be part of such a large group/organization and the flexibility this position offered.

Cons

Some of the challenges for this particular position were working with a manager that did not know how to manage a group. This manager also did not understand what it was that he wanted exactly. There was no clear direction on the strategy of the group. In the beginning there was not enough communication on what the group needs were or how to go about obtaining them.

There was also a huge cultural gap. Just because a manager may have many years experience performing in a particular role doesn't mean that they should lead groups. If a manager cannot effectively communicate the needs of the group they are managing, then there will be challenges.

Consider selecting managers that have true leadership skills as opposed to managers that have credentials. Just because a manager looks good on paper doesn't mean that they can lead people or teams. People skills are much more effective when leading teams with different personalities.

PMO Analyst & Planner

Former Employee - PMO Analyst Planner; DS Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - PMO Analyst Planner; DS Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people are truly genuine. Another aspect Shell gives opportunities to the staff to move around the company to keep giving them much experience. Global interaction makes the job a bit more interesting.

Cons

Strategic shifts sometimes take the best personnel out of positions they should continue in for a year or more.

Amazing experience working for Shell and Royal Dutch Shell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Shell for almost a decade in a professional corporate function based in Houston. Overall, I really respect the company culture, the amazing people and how the company manages people. The Dutch influence has made the "respect for people" aspect of HR quite pervasive. They actually walk the talk. In Shell, you have a great degree of control over your career path. They post jobs internally and you are able to raise your hand for advancement if you are ready. I left Shell for personal reasons, but it was a difficult decision to leave the people that I met while at Shell. I would go back to Shell if my circumstances changed.

Benefits package is top notch
    The 9/80 schedule was great way to manage work/life balance.

Cons

The organization is HUGE! It takes about a year to even understand the depth of the business and various projects. Because of its size, it can be a long career before you are able to take on bigger pieces of the business or into management, but it is a great company to get many experiences.

The company has a reputation for having issues controlling cost, but the investors are pushing for greater control. Positive changes have been happening to get a handle on it.

If you're a P50 this place is for you.

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The 9/80 is amazing. If you're good, you can fly under the radar and never work a Friday. The work is easy. I've noticed my 50% is everyone else's 100%.

Cons

Hard work doesn't pay off. This is a great place to work if you're interested in milking the system. If the Dutch don't like you, well kiss your career goodbye. It's a cult of Dutch people. Americans have to stay in position for 4 years, with no ability to move. Don't bring big ideas to the table either. Just do exactly as your Dutch boss says and you'll get a cookie.

Too much to list here. The future is extremely bleak at Shell.

Wonderful people, excellent projects

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed getting to work with such a diverse workforce. The opportunities to interface with international offices and staff are enormous and rewarding. The company invests in its employees and it shows. The dead-end managers are few and far between and the opportunities for growth are fantastic. Projects were always challenging and never boring.

Cons

Must be flexible to time zones and willing to work with multiple cultures. If you're looking for steady 8-5, this may not be the place for you. Even regular hour holders need to be prepared to roll with the punches.

Continue to be open-minded about employee advancement. Don't get so caught up in the published career path projections that you miss great talent that can benefit your business units.

Awesome Place to Work

Former Employee - Business Development Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Development Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent compensation & benefits package.
    Excellent career path and career development programs.
    Inclusive culture.

Cons

Positions get eliminated and reorganizations happen every year.

Great Company!!

I worked at Shell as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Enjoyed co-workers, good work environment and great pay. There is a lot to learn about the oil and gas industry and safety is a huge priority.

Cons

Wish that there would have been benefits as a contractor

Contractor Beware!

Former Employee - Contractor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Contractor in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It's Shell, name benefit on your resume
    9/80 schedule for some departments/some work-life balance
    You will meet some nice filks along the way, build long-term friendships and associations

Cons

You can do better than this in the Oil and Gas Industry
    Contractors are underpaid, no benefits, non-inclusive environment
    Most managers "cater" to their favorites, doesn't listen to people who actually know something
    If you are an employee, you will have to "re-apply" for your job in some areas every two years or so
    People playing the game to get ahead, but they never do (sell-out) mentality, especially some minorities.

Learn to listen to people who actually have experience and know-how.