Shell

Updated January 30, 2015
3.9

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum
Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere (in 51 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some (in 10 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

135 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development

Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell

Pros

Fantastic work environment and office amenities, as well as engaging and varied intern assignments are a plus. With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true.

Cons

As with all companies of this size, especially here, there is constant change and for those that thrive in such places will enjoy working and others would feel frustrating.

Some advice to management may be to make communication training and activities mandatary for all employees to attend, including management.

Good place, great experience

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

G2X was a growing company when I interviewed with them, they had yet to build their first gas-to-gasoline plant. I worked with the finance team who were trying to get investors and lenders on board. This involved updating their financial models and powerpoints, making sure everything ticked and tied. The culture is nice, it's a small place, and everyone knows each other.

Cons

I didn't get to write new financial models, only worked on existing ones. Same with the informational memos and powerpoints. However, the team did their best to get me involved in the process, and I often sat in on calls with lenders and investors to hear how the deals went down, which was really cool.

Great company.

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Great people's culture. Global and diverse

Cons

Take too long in making decisions. Too many processes

Consider more diversity in upper management

no real career path. they talk the talk but never walk the walk. dismal prospects for women

Current Employee - Manager in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

big oil company with benefits and salaries which are average for the industry. Used to be run by skilled technically astute managers. Now they rotate MBA's who have little knowledge about the company of the specific area in the industry. They rotate managers every 2-3 years so employees are always training former biz consultants who have little knowledge of Shell values and culture of excellence which was a huge strength in the past. Bean counters everywhere who make so many missteps and are never accountable since they just move on. Great place to work if your are a clueless MBA posing in the energy business. Hope the new CEO clears the decks of pathetic managers who just try to create another level of useless effort for the employees. Lots of chiefs and too few knowledge workers since outside consultants have sold executives that having engineering skills is unnecessary for MBA's. Real STEM skills are no longer appreciated or valued. It intimidates the clueless bosses who were hired to count beans and become deal makers who have no idea that their deals fall flat so often but they just skip on to a new assignment without be accountable for the mess they cause. Seems awfully close to a BP model where dividends trump value every time due to finance/commercial running everything without vision or respect for employees

Cons

same old boys club. They do not even try to id talent within their ranks unless you are in the old boy network. Lip service is paid to advance women and minority women is even scorned.

Hold your managers to account for advancing women and minority women particularly. Stop the stupid posting that says you have a job for 3 years. It is then just used to push out women and older workers when they reach their peak earning potential. HR is a joke. No one..not HR or management is tasked to keep track of talent and open posting is misused by mangers to play games with layoffs. They use this tactic to fire without cause and layoff without saying it is a layoff. Using the word redundant HR just lets you scramble to find a job without any support from management and HR is a powerless joke that is outsourced. Managers never have to explain to anyone when they make minorities or women redundant since your job is always posted for 3-4 years. You always are applying for your job every 4 years so forget about a career..they could care less. Go to a US company like Exxon or Chevron where they want talent to be career employees without playing games every three year or so. Shell reviews for performance are meaningless to employees. Watch out when you are late 50's and your peak earnings kick in since they use posting to eliminate longtime employees without cause or calling for layoffs. They eliminate long serving minorities and women using these tactics.

Hit and Miss

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

World Class Corp. that does many things well. Many opportunities to move career path and location. Shell is committed to workplace safety to some degree. They pay well and occasionally recognize great performance. Work life balance is good.

Cons

The management structure is very narrow with too many managers and not enough workers, so when productivity appears low or a new CEO arrives, then a new or recycled program/reorganization gets implemented. This can be frustrating because these decisions always come from the top down without any input from the people doing the work. Highly technical people are not appreciated or respected unless you are a manager of technical people. Getting ideas implemented can be a challenge.

Reduce the layers of management. If top paying career paths are only managers, then you will only be left with managers. Your top performing technical people will leave.

Professional Company

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell

Pros

I enjoy greatly the vibes in the office. Plus the benefits are very nice. I would greatly recommend this company to people looking to work in the oil and gas secotor.

Cons

The Taco's served in the lunch room could use some work. I would also enjoy a higher salary for someone of my education. Not to mention the bad bosses.

Keep up the good work. Pay people more.

Great company, very laid back

Former Employee - Biomass Technologist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Biomass Technologist in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell

Pros

Work-life balance is really taken seriously at Shell. The managers are very supportive of new ideas and innovation. They really treat people well by establishing a large level of trust.

Cons

They are way too concerned about non-safety issues such as walking away from a microwave when warming food. There are legit safety issues in a petroleum company, but they go overboard.

Big company with big company policies

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Got the experience working for a well recognized company. Worked on a huge trade floor and made good connections.

Cons

High turn over rate for contractors. Try to get a full time position. Management does not try to work closely with individuals - just want you to get work done.

It can be hectic at times but always something new to work on.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are on par with other companies of this size. Performance is rewarded and there are constant opportunities to expand and grow. Management is transparent and open to new ideas.

Cons

As a typical large company they are slow to change and frequently rehash/rename old programs that didn't work the first time around.

Most locations are severely understaffed and the quality of work performed by oversees contracts fails to meet expectations but is masked by fluffed metrics. Take some time to build back up the workforce and hire experienced workers.

Goal Zero means Safety First - everyone should go home the way that they arrive

Current Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Shell cares for and supports the people of Shell. We're not just a number. In every meeting, we hold a safety moment, sharing something that can make us safer at work, on the road and at home.

Shell hires the best people... People you will know and respect and enjoy for the rest of your life. No matter the work you do in Shell, you will generally find good people to work with. When times get tough, deadlines need to be made, another change initiative comes through, it's you colleagues that get you through. Your a team. You grow stronger with each other to deliver high quality product.

Cons

We have to stay in a job for four years, before we can move to the next role. Of, course a reorg will occur at some point during that 4 years which may enable you to move to a different role.

Continue to care for your staff. Shell holds the loyalty of its staff because of the care. We are not a number, like one of the other majors treat their employees as.