Shell

Updated January 30, 2015
3.9

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum
Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere (in 51 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some (in 10 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development

Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell

Pros

Fantastic work environment and office amenities, as well as engaging and varied intern assignments are a plus. With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true.

Cons

As with all companies of this size, especially here, there is constant change and for those that thrive in such places will enjoy working and others would feel frustrating.

Some advice to management may be to make communication training and activities mandatary for all employees to attend, including management.

Good place, great experience

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

G2X was a growing company when I interviewed with them, they had yet to build their first gas-to-gasoline plant. I worked with the finance team who were trying to get investors and lenders on board. This involved updating their financial models and powerpoints, making sure everything ticked and tied. The culture is nice, it's a small place, and everyone knows each other.

Cons

I didn't get to write new financial models, only worked on existing ones. Same with the informational memos and powerpoints. However, the team did their best to get me involved in the process, and I often sat in on calls with lenders and investors to hear how the deals went down, which was really cool.

I like

I have been working at Shell

Pros

it's a wonderful place to work for describe this to all my friends all the time they Shiplight here as well.

Cons

I have no cons to write about for this review. I really have no concert right about for this review.

Continue to do what you do will be my advice to management you were taking care of your workers.

Best work-life balance, some politics involved, would recoommend

I have been working at Shell

Pros

-Travel to nice places at times (lots of miles/points)
    -Entrust a lot in each person
    -Excellent work-life balance
    -Not a huge amount of pressure every day
    -Excellent safety

Cons

-Competitive for minimal management positions
    -Expect lots of travel
    -Expect to move around permanently if you want to move up
    -Pay is just ok compared to competition

Great meeting people

I worked at Shell

Pros

Hours and wages great work space

Cons

Better smoking area for the employees that smoke

None

Great company.

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Great people's culture. Global and diverse

Cons

Take too long in making decisions. Too many processes

Consider more diversity in upper management

Low Pay

Current Employee - Cashier in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Shell

Pros

A wide variety of sweets and soft drinks to enjoy. I was especially partial to the nerds rope and mars bars.

Cons

I was poorly compensated and therefore unable to enjoy the aforementioned sweets. With a larger pay package I would have been able to sample all the treats.

Compensate your cashiers adequately to allow access to all of the store's confections. Doing so would help keep up work place morale and contribute to keeping turnover low.

work life

Current Employee - Cashier in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Shell

Pros

ok very easy laid back

Cons

low pay and no vacation

ok

no real career path. they talk the talk but never walk the walk. dismal prospects for women

Current Employee - Manager in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

big oil company with benefits and salaries which are average for the industry. Used to be run by skilled technically astute managers. Now they rotate MBA's who have little knowledge about the company of the specific area in the industry. They rotate managers every 2-3 years so employees are always training former biz consultants who have little knowledge of Shell values and culture of excellence which was a huge strength in the past. Bean counters everywhere who make so many missteps and are never accountable since they just move on. Great place to work if your are a clueless MBA posing in the energy business. Hope the new CEO clears the decks of pathetic managers who just try to create another level of useless effort for the employees. Lots of chiefs and too few knowledge workers since outside consultants have sold executives that having engineering skills is unnecessary for MBA's. Real STEM skills are no longer appreciated or valued. It intimidates the clueless bosses who were hired to count beans and become deal makers who have no idea that their deals fall flat so often but they just skip on to a new assignment without be accountable for the mess they cause. Seems awfully close to a BP model where dividends trump value every time due to finance/commercial running everything without vision or respect for employees

Cons

same old boys club. They do not even try to id talent within their ranks unless you are in the old boy network. Lip service is paid to advance women and minority women is even scorned.

Hold your managers to account for advancing women and minority women particularly. Stop the stupid posting that says you have a job for 3 years. It is then just used to push out women and older workers when they reach their peak earning potential. HR is a joke. No one..not HR or management is tasked to keep track of talent and open posting is misused by mangers to play games with layoffs. They use this tactic to fire without cause and layoff without saying it is a layoff. Using the word redundant HR just lets you scramble to find a job without any support from management and HR is a powerless joke that is outsourced. Managers never have to explain to anyone when they make minorities or women redundant since your job is always posted for 3-4 years. You always are applying for your job every 4 years so forget about a career..they could care less. Go to a US company like Exxon or Chevron where they want talent to be career employees without playing games every three year or so. Shell reviews for performance are meaningless to employees. Watch out when you are late 50's and your peak earnings kick in since they use posting to eliminate longtime employees without cause or calling for layoffs. They eliminate long serving minorities and women using these tactics.

Shell/Citi Fleet Fuel Program

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Shell full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at Shell/Citi was a great position, it was a pilot program and a lot of perks but the program was pulled after 6 months.

Cons

We had to many Managers pulling in different directions. We were doomed form the start ! We kept running out of business cards, sales materials and back up !

If you want a program like this to work you have to SINK some MONEY into it! Be Professional and make your people look the part !