Shell

Shell Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum

Marvin E. Odum

Pros:
  • "Very refreshing to see a company with such a healthy attitude about work/life balance"
    in 41 reviews
  • "International opportunities, outstanding pay and benefits, good work/life balance"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some"
    in 8 reviews
  • "It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

9 years with Shell

I have been working at Shell

ProsGreat compensation, and diverse job opportunities. Reasonable work life balance, depending on the type of career you are looking to have.

ConsIf you are looking for advancement, there is less opportunity to balance work and career. More "Europe focused" leadership and development.

OK

I have been working at Shell full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood salary, 9/80 schedule, investment on people and technology, benefits, life balance, opportunities to work internationally, highly skilled professionals, upper management is ok

ConsOrganization is still quite complex. Additional changes are required to truly simplify the company and make it more competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hesitate to make the changes that will be good for the company and most importantly stake holders

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Deer Park, TX

I have been working at Shell part-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful environment, Safety is a top priority.

ConsSince it is a large company, communication is vital for consistancy

Excellent culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shell full-time

ProsHigh sense support and promotion of professional growth. This company has it figured out when it comes to making all team members feel valued

ConsThey need to be more open to newer technology. The old guard must get with the times and tech or they will lag in overall productivity. Every shut-in is avoidable in one form or another and there are so many tools at their disposal.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's well known that most technology developers want a piece of the oilfield action. As a professional that spent a lot of time on 9 Deep water TLP's and several shelf rigs, I implore the management of SHELL EP Americas to please utilize all available technology to maximize all of your Safety and Profitability goals. However, I did see a large knowledge gap between upper (shore side) management and offshore management. I would like to see more high level tech training for offshore personnel. Other than that, keep up the great work!

Friendly home town feel.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Laramie, WY

I have been working at Shell full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours. Get to know people from the community that you work in. Tends to be a very low stress job even from a management position. Very easy to get time off as needed. Pay is higher than average to start.

ConsNot much room from personal growth. Overly lax on policy which is not standardized. Success and sales growth not translated to anyone under the manager.

Amazing

I have been working at Shell

ProsWhat a great place to work. The people are fantastic, the company culture is great and the opportunity to learn new things and grow is always there if you want it. I thoroughly enjoyed working at Shell and would return there in a heart beat.

ConsNot enough opportunities to become in a higher roles.

good place to work and raise family

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shell full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat benefits and networks for employees

ConsCould do better in company communications. Senior leaders change over frequently. open resourcing is quite elaborate but if you are not the chosen one it takes and act of congress to land a new position

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Not a positive experience for contractors, great for direct employees.

Operations (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell full-time

ProsAs a Contractor - Learn quickly in short period of time b/c you either sink or swim. The ability to put Shell on your resume....does wonders. You have the opportunity to make many connections throughout Shell. As an Employee - great pay, benefits, etc. Overall, I think Shell is a great company for its direct employees. As a contractor you have to go in with the mindset that it is a tremendous stepping stone to greater opportunities.

ConsVery defined line between contractors vs direct hire employees. Expect to be a "work horse" as a contractor, with no acknowledgement or reward other than being allowed to enter the building the next day. Management couldn't care less if you stay or leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more notice in the ENTIRE team. Contractors know that they are contractors. That does not mean you have to treat them as less than when it comes to opinions, changes in job positions, etc. Treating your ENTIRE team with respect and making EVERYONE feel that they are contributing to the groups success makes for a better work environment, less turn over, and most importantly, falls in line with the Shell values of integrity and respect.

Needs clearer direction

Procurement Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time for less than a year

ProsGood people in general to work with.

ConsPeople are afraid to speak up in general unlike rest of Shell outside the USA. Workload can require weekend work as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out matrix organization and clarify roles and responsibilities. Considering setting up US business unit as as more independent business unit without having to report on everything to London or The Hague; this will make the company more nimble and responsive and will improve the culture.

One of the best experiences of my life.

I have been working at Shell

ProsThe best things at shell are the work/life balance, loyalty, exciting new projects and they really care about their employees.

ConsThe only one I can think of is the pace at which decisions are made sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing and focus on cost savings

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!

Shell Videos

Shell – Why Work for Us?

Global energy demand is rising and so are consumer expectations – more people want energy from cleaner sources. At Shell we work with others to unlock new energy sources and make the most of what we have. We do this in… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum. All 250 reviews posted anonymously by Shell employees.