Shell

Shell Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum

Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere (in 46 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some (in 9 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

The company is nice and the location is good. The company has good teamwork envrionment.

ProsStability and university like environment. The task is also interesting. Overall it is a good place to stay.

ConsSome bureaucratic. The policy is rigid. Too much work and bad work life balance.

Great people to learn from and work with!

Anonymous (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Great people to work with in a global environment.

ConsA highly collaborative work environment creating additional complexity and pace of change can be slow.

Health and Safety

Health and Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThis company was very good on keeping all employees trained on their specific jobs. I really enjoyed working and the benefits were second to none.

ConsNo down side. The company only wanted employees who could achieve. So if you wanted mediocre type work this was not the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work you do with mid level leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Shell

Prospersonal growth, chill place to work

Conslong hours, time off policies, deal with people who dont know how to put gas

Great company, many opportunities for technical or managerial advancement.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsEmphasize personal and technical growth.
    Great career opportunities. Can either go a technical route or climb the corporate ladder.
    Opportunities to work with smart and talented people.
    Excellent values.

ConsRegional headquarters in Houston :(

Locally owned and a joy to work with the public

Manager (Former Employee) Albany, GA

ProsWe had the same customer base on a daily basis. We were locally owned so it helped our community.

ConsWhen working as a cashier there is always the chance of robbery. You have to be careful. The night shift is always the scariest.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was lucky to work for some of the best people. They were very kind and understanding.

shell

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Lakewood, WA

Prosit is a easy job

Consno team work here at all

Advice to Senior Managementwatch your store mangerv more carefully

Clerk 1 yr. Hard workers not rewarded, but pride in job I do

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Yuma, AZ

ProsGreat store mgmt team w/ mostly hard workers, good return customer base

ConsFranchise owner cheap; no raises, promotions, Sapphire POS ancient need updated one

Advice to Senior ManagementReward hard working employees raises, promotions, do performance reviews of CSR's yearly as a tool to improve our skills/work habits, policies, ect. Replace old POS so we can process sales more efficiently, quicker! Less mistakes = less $$ / time loss; from entry level all the way to management & franchise owners! How can CSR's do an efficient, speedy job if their equipment is sub-par? Customers don't care (how some employees can get stressed, frustrated, even act rudely to them because) the registers, gas pumps, or fountain stations don't operate correctly! They'll take their business & hard earned money somewhere else! And I don't blame them one bit!! I would too! So l just ask for discussion & thought to how some major issues in retail stores can be solved with the ideas I mentioned above. When I have a great day at work, my customers see it on my face & hear it in my voice! My goal: make each customer happier than when they first came into our store! Go the extra step to help customers, co-workers! TEAM EFFORT!! Needs to be implemented hands on!! COSTCO policy is great example of better work environment creating positive results in many different levels of retail businesses! Circle K stores also have a few programs where hard work is recognized, rewarded & encouraged! I take pride in my job & work hard every day!! I hope I am setting an example for my co-workers, customers and most of all my 2 sons! Thank you & have a wonderful day! :-)

Attendant

Attendant (Former Employee) Van Wert, OH

ProsWork with you on scheduling, Time off, friendly people to work with, don't work alone.

ConsSome out door work, sometimes smell of gasoline, 24 hour business

Advice to Senior ManagementPay More

Good company, 4-year mandatory rotation system keeps good ol' boy network laying off talented unconnected folks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosgood pay and benefits, great goals on paper, beautiful speaches by the managers

ConsYour fate lies in the hand of your manager that you landed for a four-year mandatory assignment. Your manager could've been hired through connections, he could've never managed people, he could've not have any experience in the work that he manages, and he could've been a postman that lied on his resume (all true). If the manager is a part of the good ol' boy network, let him be and keep praising him for every breath that he takes, and laugh at his fart jokes. Suggesting good and productive ideas is an acts of a voluntary suicide. DO NOT do smart things, or your will be viewed by your manger as a threat. Never question your boss if he is coming to work at 10 a.m. and leaves at 3 p.m. after taking a two hour lunch and paying for it with a Shell card. Never question your boss if he sends expensive bottles of liquor to his superiors as a holiday gift. HR is composed of of silent and scared college hires who wants to keep their high paying jobs in the company with a big name, at the cost of never raising any trouble and keeping the employees silent. Viva Good Ol' Boys network!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that the Dutch and European have a preference whether to stay in the same assignment after their mandatory term ends. The Americas don't function the same way, four-years assignments are mandatory. Perhaps the four-year system is not the best where the employee became a subject matter expert and excelled in his/her task. When the same employee is being forced to leave the department or to move to another country to keep a job, so that the rotation system can be kept alive, that takes away from the employee's contribution to the company and from the job stability. It is a bit hard to plan a family when the company can ask you to leave your job in four years just to keep the mandatory four-year rotation system going.

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!