Shell

Shell Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum

Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere(in 46 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some(in 9 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making(in 11 reviews)

The company is nice and the location is good. The company has good teamwork envrionment.

ProsStability and university like environment. The task is also interesting. Overall it is a good place to stay.

ConsSome bureaucratic. The policy is rigid. Too much work and bad work life balance.

Health and Safety

Health and Safety Supervisor (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThis company was very good on keeping all employees trained on their specific jobs. I really enjoyed working and the benefits were second to none.

ConsNo down side. The company only wanted employees who could achieve. So if you wanted mediocre type work this was not the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work you do with mid level leaders.

Working at Shell

Prospersonal growth, chill place to work

Conslong hours, time off policies, deal with people who dont know how to put gas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, many opportunities for technical or managerial advancement.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsEmphasize personal and technical growth.
    Great career opportunities. Can either go a technical route or climb the corporate ladder.
    Opportunities to work with smart and talented people.
    Excellent values.

ConsRegional headquarters in Houston :(

Locally owned and a joy to work with the public

Manager (Former Employee) Albany, GA

ProsWe had the same customer base on a daily basis. We were locally owned so it helped our community.

ConsWhen working as a cashier there is always the chance of robbery. You have to be careful. The night shift is always the scariest.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was lucky to work for some of the best people. They were very kind and understanding.

shell

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Lakewood, WA

Prosit is a easy job

Consno team work here at all

Advice to Senior Managementwatch your store mangerv more carefully

Clerk 1 yr. Hard workers not rewarded, but pride in job I do

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Yuma, AZ

ProsGreat store mgmt team w/ mostly hard workers, good return customer base

ConsFranchise owner cheap; no raises, promotions, Sapphire POS ancient need updated one

Advice to Senior ManagementReward hard working employees raises, promotions, do performance reviews of CSR's yearly as a tool to improve our skills/work habits, policies, ect. Replace old POS so we can process sales more efficiently, quicker! Less mistakes = less $$ / time loss; from entry level all the way to management & franchise owners! How can CSR's do an efficient, speedy job if their equipment is sub-par? Customers don't care (how some employees can get stressed, frustrated, even act rudely to them because) the registers, gas pumps, or fountain stations don't operate correctly! They'll take their business & hard earned money somewhere else! And I don't blame them one bit!! I would too! So l just ask for discussion & thought to how some major issues in retail stores can be solved with the ideas I mentioned above. When I have a great day at work, my customers see it on my face & hear it in my voice! My goal: make each customer happier than when they first came into our store! Go the extra step to help customers, co-workers! TEAM EFFORT!! Needs to be implemented hands on!! COSTCO policy is great example of better work environment creating positive results in many different levels of retail businesses! Circle K stores also have a few programs where hard work is recognized, rewarded & encouraged! I take pride in my job & work hard every day!! I hope I am setting an example for my co-workers, customers and most of all my 2 sons! Thank you & have a wonderful day! :-)

Great people, great place to work.

Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWorld class resources, smart coworkers, friendly environment. At Shell people are treated as an asset, not a liability like at other major oil and gas employers

ConsLike with any job, if you work in a different country than where management decisions are being made, you'll be left out of having input. Managers across the pond will probably want to keep control even if that's not the best thing for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile lower level managers are in touch with what is going on and do their best to remedy issues, upper level management in many cases is clueless to the entire situation. Listen to your lower level managers, even if what they are saying isn't what you want to hear.

You determine your own career path

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities for overseas assignments. Pay is good, benefits really good. You can determine your own career path by choosing your next assignments. Shell E&P has every other Friday off. The development program for college grads is good. A variety of assignments the first couple of years exposes the employee to different areas of the company giving them insight into what area they want to move to next.

ConsSome departments have workloads with too few employees to meet those deadlines within reasonable work hours. The pay is not in the top but packaged with the benefits it balances out.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the number of employees on the team vs. the workload. Work-Life Balance is a must to retain your employees.

Attendant

Attendant (Former Employee) Van Wert, OH

ProsWork with you on scheduling, Time off, friendly people to work with, don't work alone.

ConsSome out door work, sometimes smell of gasoline, 24 hour business

Advice to Senior ManagementPay More

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!