Shell Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
379 reviews filtered by

1. Taking the coy to the next level

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Its very wonderful experience working with committed and people with zeal

Cons

unbelievable people, never take advise

2. Shell pays well and has god benifits if you make a career there, but there is a lot of buraucrcy.

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about Shell is the 9/80 work schedule and pay. Lot of opportunity for working abroad and moving roles.

Cons

There are too many processes. In the Regulatory/Environmental field, it is still a developing business and yet they still try to make you fit into theor competency models, but the models are not fully developed. Additionally, they want globally for everyone to have the same competencies, however, offshore in US and Onshore Gambia are just not the same regulations.

Shell does not need more processes, it needs people to follow the proceesses in place.

3. Cost Engineer

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Shell as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life Balance.
    Great pay and benifits.
    The management is very much willing to help every one get to the next level in career.

Cons

May be office Politics can be a little frustrating.

Keep up the Great Job.

Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development

Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Services Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell

Pros

Fantastic work environment and office amenities, as well as engaging and varied intern assignments are a plus. With so many departments, focus areas, and products, *in theory*, you should have plenty of opportunity to grow your career (horizontally or vertically). In practice, not true.

Cons

As with all companies of this size, especially here, there is constant change and for those that thrive in such places will enjoy working and others would feel frustrating.

Some advice to management may be to make communication training and activities mandatary for all employees to attend, including management.

6. Good Company

I worked at Shell

Pros

Loyal to employees
    Great Starting Salary
    Good Training Programs

Cons

A little stuffy
    Promotions limited
    Living in Houston

7. Good place, great experience

Former Intern - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

G2X was a growing company when I interviewed with them, they had yet to build their first gas-to-gasoline plant. I worked with the finance team who were trying to get investors and lenders on board. This involved updating their financial models and powerpoints, making sure everything ticked and tied. The culture is nice, it's a small place, and everyone knows each other.

Cons

I didn't get to write new financial models, only worked on existing ones. Same with the informational memos and powerpoints. However, the team did their best to get me involved in the process, and I often sat in on calls with lenders and investors to hear how the deals went down, which was really cool.

8. Pleasant hard working staff but lack of communication thru out the company

Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Shell

Pros

nice boss and most of staff are knowledgeable, decent people. free sodas for cashiers. nice customers most of the time. Safe place to work. Only fun & enjoyable days if u make the most of it in ur own special ways..... etc.

Cons

no free water for hard working, sweaty car wash guys outside. Bad pay starting at minimum wage and will never go up unless you beg for it. gain weight eating crappy food all day, plus no breaks for Anyone. Some guys are dirty with female staff, etc. boring when its slow.... Car Spa guys shouldn't have to be forced to work outside when its around 5 degrees or anything below 0 degrees!

more consistent training for cashiers. better communication throughout. give ALL employees free water out of soda fountain so they don't pass out during hot summer months!!! Starting pay rate should be based on any individual's experience. No1 can live off minimum wage!! Benefit's would be nice. And yearly possible wage increase should be more frequent so people don't want to quit so much

9. Massive size has pros and cons

I have been working at Shell full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very few roles will not have at least some interface with global colleagues. While the number of expat roles are decreasing, there is ample opportunity to work with global teams if you are a decent performer.

Cons

Innovation is muted by global processes. It is tough to react swiftly in a changing environment. This is particularly frustrating when the resources are in place but the ability to execute is hindered by bureaucracy.

Too much focus on collaboration which some employees take to mean consensus. More focus needs to be on informed decision making.

10. Good team environment

I worked at Shell

Pros

There is lots of vacation time.

Cons

Working environments hold hazardous potential to your health.

11. I like

I have been working at Shell

Pros

it's a wonderful place to work for describe this to all my friends all the time they Shiplight here as well.

Cons

I have no cons to write about for this review. I really have no concert right about for this review.

Continue to do what you do will be my advice to management you were taking care of your workers.