Shell

Shell Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Shell CEO Marvin E. Odum

Marvin E. Odum

Pros
  • Good people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere (in 46 reviews)

• international exposure, opportunity to work in multiple projects, reasonable good pay and benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Cubicles and limited parking; work-life balance an issue for some (in 9 reviews)

• It is a large company so they are very slow in decision making (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Relationships = Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPays well and there are some great, intelligent people to work with. Peers are really what made work bearable.

ConsThere are terrible people to work FOR. Advancement is based on who you know and how much you "deliver", even if what you deliver is only the minimum to move things along. This is how bad managers are able to become managers.

For a company that claims to be innovative, it is sadly behind the curve. No one really wants to improve processes or be revolutionary, they just want to get things done.

Don't expect special career or development opportunities unless you are a "chosen one."

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from group think. Stay true to your message of diversity and appreciate diversity of thought.

Needs clearer direction

Procurement Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood people in general to work with.

ConsPeople are afraid to speak up in general unlike rest of Shell outside the USA. Workload can require weekend work as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out matrix organization and clarify roles and responsibilities. Considering setting up US business unit as as more independent business unit without having to report on everything to London or The Hague; this will make the company more nimble and responsive and will improve the culture.

Shell

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood people; flexible work schedule;(work - life balance; laid back atmosphere

ConsUnfortunately becoming too bureaucratic with all the processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately too many bureaucratic processes. Changes in management and organization every year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internship

ProsGreat company, good open culture, really nice people

ConsNot many locations in the northeast

great place to work, learned a lot especially about safety

Compuond Helper (Former Employee) Edwardsville, IL

Prosgreat pay and good benifits

Consthey closed and sometimes had to work outside in cold weather

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any, they did a good job

Lots of Work

Gas Station (Current Employee) Lombard, IL

ProsNone too much negatives ij

ConsEverything too much work for poverty

Advice to Senior Managementneed more people

Safe execution with no concept of economic impacts to projects

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsSafe work place , Work life balance, Great place for someone to start career and gain experience

ConsOh my god, very middle management heavy, If your mid career not familiar with big integrated oil do not work here,. poor engineering, no knowledge base in management. good old boy system alive and well. extreme cycles of hiring and layoff

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and smell the coffee, cut out dead weight, stay cost effective on projects . And get some in house engineering. Having a pool of engineers that manage contractors in the EPC model is killing you. They never get involved at ground level and do not understand the functions of successful cost effective projects

Company direction is not clear

ProsPaychecks are good, not too much else right now

ConsNot much work right now. lots of down time

Comfortable when you get used to it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive salary and package, work life balance and attention to safety

ConsMore said than done. Poor career progress. All depends on your boss and you have to be lucky with one

Culture of Innovation

Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLearning new things everyday and brand leader in the industry

ConsSlow moving up the ladder of hierarchy with over 10000 employees

Advice to Senior ManagementReward performer

Worked for Shell? Contribute to the Community!