Shell Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
398 reviews filtered by

1. Shell, best place to work

I have been working at Shell full-time

Pros

Committment to excellence, safety, and quality

Cons

JUST THE LONG HOURS IS ALL

PMO Analyst & Planner

Former Contractor - PMO Analyst Planner; DS Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - PMO Analyst Planner; DS Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The people are truly genuine. Another aspect Shell gives opportunities to the staff to move around the company to keep giving them much experience. Global interaction makes the job a bit more interesting.

Cons

Strategic shifts sometimes take the best personnel out of positions they should continue in for a year or more.

3. Shell Review

I worked at Shell

Pros

Good company with lots of movement opportunity .

Cons

Long hours and few days off sometimes.

PTSE at Deer Park

Former Employee - PTSE in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - PTSE in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money, 9/80 Schedule, Long Term Benefits. Work is easy, very low expectations to achieve a normal rating. Can get paid a grip to sit on your butt, and crank out paperwork. Easy to be forgotten and have a good paying job doing minimal work if that is what you want. Healthcare benefits are good but expensive ($560 per month for health,dental, and vision)

Cons

Work is mindless due to all the complicated processes. No efficiency, no teamwork, no innovation. Engineers in the PTSE or RE roles are really admins. Most of these good reviews for Shell have to be for the Upstream business, because Shell Deer Park is the worst Manufacturing Site I have ever worked at for reliablity, safety, or cost control. If you are a go getter or like to bring new stuff and ways of doing things stay far far away, you will hate working at Deer Park. Don't believe the Shell Hype!!!!

Advice to Management

You won't listen anyway so who cares?

6. Amazing experience working for Shell and Royal Dutch Shell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Shell for almost a decade in a professional corporate function based in Houston. Overall, I really respect the company culture, the amazing people and how the company manages people. The Dutch influence has made the "respect for people" aspect of HR quite pervasive. They actually walk the talk. In Shell, you have a great degree of control over your career path. They post jobs internally and you are able to raise your hand for advancement if you are ready. I left Shell for personal reasons, but it was a difficult decision to leave the people that I met while at Shell. I would go back to Shell if my circumstances changed.

Benefits package is top notch
    The 9/80 schedule was great way to manage work/life balance.

Cons

The organization is HUGE! It takes about a year to even understand the depth of the business and various projects. Because of its size, it can be a long career before you are able to take on bigger pieces of the business or into management, but it is a great company to get many experiences.

The company has a reputation for having issues controlling cost, but the investors are pushing for greater control. Positive changes have been happening to get a handle on it.

Great Environment

Former Intern - Pressure Equipment Integrity in Deer Park, TX
    Former Intern - Pressure Equipment Integrity in Deer Park, TX

I worked at Shell as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly, open door atmosphere. There is so much to learn every day. Networking is a big part of the culture.

Cons

If you do not have an idea of how you want to develop, there is not much to lean on. It's up to you to create your own career development plan.

Advice to Management

I really do not have anything else to add. They are continuously making improvements already. Leadership opportunities are abundant there.

Great place for first time job

I have been working at Shell

Pros

Great coworkers and managers were nice. Very structured company from supervisors to managers.

Cons

Pay is a minimum wage. Very little incentives to work hard because no promotion

Advice to Management

Promote from within

If you're a P50 this place is for you.

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The 9/80 is amazing. If you're good, you can fly under the radar and never work a Friday. The work is easy. I've noticed my 50% is everyone else's 100%.

Cons

Hard work doesn't pay off. This is a great place to work if you're interested in milking the system. If the Dutch don't like you, well kiss your career goodbye. It's a cult of Dutch people. Americans have to stay in position for 4 years, with no ability to move. Don't bring big ideas to the table either. Just do exactly as your Dutch boss says and you'll get a cookie.

Advice to Management

Too much to list here. The future is extremely bleak at Shell.

10. Wonderful people, excellent projects

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Shell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed getting to work with such a diverse workforce. The opportunities to interface with international offices and staff are enormous and rewarding. The company invests in its employees and it shows. The dead-end managers are few and far between and the opportunities for growth are fantastic. Projects were always challenging and never boring.

Cons

Must be flexible to time zones and willing to work with multiple cultures. If you're looking for steady 8-5, this may not be the place for you. Even regular hour holders need to be prepared to roll with the punches.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open-minded about employee advancement. Don't get so caught up in the published career path projections that you miss great talent that can benefit your business units.

11. Excellent employer

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Shell as an intern

Pros

salary is really good here in the company

Cons

hierarchy is ther ein the company