Shelter Insurance

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Means

good

Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee)

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Prosestablished company, community involvement, good location

Conscorporate environment not always complimentary to family importance for employees

Advice to Senior Managementbe considerate of employees with families and emergencies

Shelter Agent

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Nashville, TN

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOk for a first job If you can't find anything else

ConsVery poor pay, middle Mng will mislead you in everyway to get sales out of you, all they care about is your ablity to sell Life insurance. Agents only get paid once a month. Stay away from this company !

Advice to Senior ManagementRedo the whole program !

It's a great place to work. The people are great and the company is growing so there are new opportunities.

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe benefits are great and the stability of the company means you don't have to worry about continual downsizing or layoffs.

ConsSome people think working with insurance products and services is dull - but that's generally an assessment from people who don't work in the industry. It's actually interesting and fulfilling work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've recently added things like casual Fridays and some other fun new opportunities. Keep those coming!

A Good Place to Work

Senior Programmer (Current Employee)

ProsThe Retirement Benifits are Outstanding

ConsPromotions are not based on merit but more of a popularity contest.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to revisit the IT Job titles and give the appropriate authority. The job titles do not describe the person’s job and they are not given the proper authority to successfully do their job.

Agency work close to home office

Agency Agency Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsWas close to home office.

ConsWas close to home office

I had a great experience working with Shelter Insurance.

Insurance Agent (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, AR

I worked at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked for an Awesome agent. I loved helping people with their insurance needs.

ConsI think Shelter Insurance should offer the same benefits to those working in the agencies, just as what they offer to those working in the home office.

Strong Company

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company is very conservative and solvent.

ConsWe have the best rates for just a small target market. If you become an Agent of a town you do not move. Unless promoted to management.

My experience at Shelter Insurance offered many new opportunities and career advancing experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Shelter Insurance

ProsI was fortunate to work my on schedule

ConsHR was not employee friendly.

Working hard isn't as important as knowing/kissing up to management to get noticed

Senior Programmer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement is usually understanding of taking of time in emergency or spur of the moment situations. The retirement plan is decent with a multiplier on the match for the 401k and a pension plan in addition to that. There is a great walking path through the gardens that are on-site.

ConsAdvancement only comes if you are liked by management or you have been there a set number of years. Management will pigeon-hole their employees. No formal training for beginners, you are essentially "thrown to the wolves." The benefits aren't the greatest (but at least it's something). Management believes in pushing projects forward before they are "ready" which causes a lot of production issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality over quantity, don't let projects go to production without adequate testing. Give credit where credit is due, and don't promote based on favorites.

Great Company, Great Place to Work

Salaried Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Shelter Insurance full-time for less than a year

ProsYou start out with a salary and have the opportunity to get big bonuses every quarter. They set you up in an office, they pay the rent, marketing, staff, everything. You get to learn the business and be in business for yourself, but not by yourself.

ConsNew commission only, you do not collect commission on any renewal business (even business you write) while you are salary. The products are good, but not as innovative as our competitors. They do very little marketing, so many people have never heard of Shelter. There is a life quota every quarter, miss it once and you go on probation, miss it again and you're fired. But the quota is very manageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to improve products through innovation. Example.. Add optional glass endorsement to auto policy, add vanishing deductible endorsement, new car replacement, etc.. Allow new agents to receive part of the renewal commission on the business they write.

Worked for Shelter Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shelter Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shelter Insurance CEO Rick Means. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Shelter Insurance employees.