Shenandoah Telecommunications

Updated April 22, 2014

2.8

Shenandoah Telecommunications Chairman, President, and CEO Chris French
Chris French

I love working for Shentel, Benefits are great and this is a very good company to work for

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Shenandoah Telecommunications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, Pay, and Work environment is great. Also if your goal is to move up in the company there is plenty of opportunities to do so.

Cons

Advertising on national stations makes it hard for some promotion to not be seen in a affiliate market that we are not able to do for customers at this time. Example early ungrades and one up

Join, Get Trained and Get Experience, Join A Better Company

I have been working at Shenandoah Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Training is very good with a good reimbursement plan (though college reimbursement leaves something to be desired). Fellow employees are very friendly and provide a family-like atmosphere. Shentel has a few perks that are nice such as: discounted cell phones, discounted cell phone plan, very small discount on internet, and free cable. There is some independence within projects you are working on (e.g., little micro-management). I can not speak for all managers here but my manager provides a good work/life balance when issues outside of work come up.

Cons

Pay and benefits are far from national (even local within an hours drive) rates. If you come to work here do not expect to get compensated or titled correctly for what you will be doing. The job description is very deceptive normally. Around 20% of the employee base is knowledgeable while the rest piggy back off those employees. I believe it is just a lack of accountability and general laziness since the training is available. Benefits (401k and insurance) are not good at all. Going outside the company for similar plans is far more economical. Prioritization of projects is severely misappropriated. It is essentially designed with a "which VP or team leadership screamed the loudest" type of mentality week-to-week. There is no real requirements gathering, priority setting, or solid project management structure in place. No remote work capabilities even for salary employees and even during heavily inclement weather scenarios. It is my opinion that upper management believes they can not trust those employees to actually work while they are not at their desks. Even if they are salary and their work will either get done or not.

Pay and give proper benefits (401k, insurance, employee perks such as remote work) to your employees. Especially cater to your real talent such as that top 20% who are shouldering the load. Create a team responsible for project management in it's entirety (hardware, cell towers, software, office projects, etc). And, hold your employees accountable. Out with the lazy and in with the hard working I say. Who cares if you have worked here 40 years? Blatantly being lazy is lazy. Compensate your rock star talent and you will see some amazing results. And, for gods sake trust your remote employees. This is not the early 1900's.

If you are intelligent - Shentel will only frustrate you...worse place I ever worked.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Edinburg, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Edinburg, VA

I have been working at Shenandoah Telecommunications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the local people that work for Shentel are very nice, humble folks. But many of the senior managers are very arrogant and downright mean-spirited (with a smile).

Cons

Being a rural company, Shentel has no competition for its DSL Internet services business (ancient technology). This unfortunately, tends to promote arrogance among certain senior managers. Result is, these top managers have contempt for lower level workers - while they pretend to be good 'ol boys. And the salaries for these good 'ol boys are absolutely outrageous for such a small, backwoods company with dwindling stock value.

Quit and get replaced by true leaders who are not just the overly ambitious types who always wanted to be 'The Boss'.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok but i want more in life

Current Employee - IT-Tech Support  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - IT-Tech Support in Lynchburg, VA

Pros

the product is great no quoms there

Cons

My values dont line up with the values of the company at all but its a job

have our backs, adults will do things adults like to do, in the fire department it was like a fraturnity of brothers we had eachothers backs no matter what we did.

Telecom company tries too hard

I have been working at Shenandoah Telecommunications

Pros

Tuition Assistance, Heavily discounted smart-phone, internet, and cables packages down to earth middle managers

Cons

Old School 8-5 hours with one hour lunch break, dated senior management practices, low salary considering industry, "Good-old boy" mentality

Allow some flexibility with hours, consider switching to a 9-5 schedule, the extra hour really makes a difference,

Great company

Former Employee - ASM  in  Edinburg, VA
    Former Employee - ASM in Edinburg, VA

I worked at Shenandoah Telecommunications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Family oriented. No outside debt. Opportunity for growth is fostered by upper management. Generous vacation time up to 3 weeks at start.

Cons

Strict. Old school. Will run you into the ground and ask you to be gone for a week at a time with a short down time before starting again.

Great Work Environment

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Shenandoah Telecommunications

Pros

Easy to get along with management and always communicated any upcoming issues so you could prepare yourself.

Cons

Difficult dealing with typical customers.

Continue to keep all employees advised of any issues that may be upcoming. Other than that I found the management to be very friendly and professional.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Edinburg, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Edinburg, VA

I worked at Shenandoah Telecommunications

Pros

Small company, great family atmosphere..The open door policy is one that actually feels plausible in this company. Very personable.

Cons

People who have been with the company for a long time, being placed in positions they have no clue about, being forced to learn on the fly...

listen to your managers and front line people more than the positions in between...

Good on the outside, a little too filling on the inside.

Current Employee - Network Technician
    Current Employee - Network Technician

I have been working at Shenandoah Telecommunications

Pros

Benefits are decent. Close to home.

Cons

Most managers did not do their jobs very good, so they get advanced to watch over the people who know what they are doing. Cut throat environment for raises. Lot of reorganizing of management departments, sometimes twice a year.

Used to be everyone knew everyone, now it doesn't have a personal feel with a lot of people brought in who seem not to care about the people who have been there a while. Need less yes men and more knowledgeable people as managers and things would improve greatly.

Good company

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Shenandoah Telecommunications

Pros

One of the advantages of working here would be the obviuos,free phone and service!

Cons

Seemed like commissions were higher with Sprint. Expensive benifits.

Pay more and I'll come back!!

Worked for Shenandoah Telecommunications? Contribute to the Community!