Shepell

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rod Phillips

manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat work environment and team

Consnothing i liked everything about my job

Good Employer -- Unless you are on a work permit.

Client Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThere are lots of benefits and opportunities to make extra money and good job growth within the company. Office setting is nice and training program is very comprehensive with exams involved.

ConsNo benefits and job growth if you are on a work permit, regardless of your top performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimply equal pay for equal work.

Low morale, overworked employees who are significantly underpaid

Manager (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsA good benefits and pension plan for their employees and their employees' dependents; the company also offers generally flexible hours; certain departments have strong leaders who support their people

ConsLow employee morale, high turnover among staff, highly stressful work environment, a lot of overtime expected and not rewarded or acknowledged, drastically underpaid salaries compared to competitors...

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on learning and development opportunities for your staff. Also conduct an industry-wide survey on compensation levels and ensure your employees' salaries are on par with your competitors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a positive working environment

Prosthe workload is not to challenging, you never bring any work home.

ConsNot a positive working environment, pay is to low for the work that is being done. Huge gap of communication between front line workers and mangement

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front line workers they have more insight on customer satisfaction than anyone else in the company. If the support staff isn't happy, then how can they provide proper service

Great work - developing workplace

Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe opportunity for career advancement is regionally focused. The pressures from clients are high and support is not consistent from department to department.

ConsIt's a great field to be in, you have high impact on corporate and individual clients. There's much to learn and the industry itself is still maturing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger focus on internal customer service and development of staff talent. Become open minded about the talent that you actually have and be creative about how you use them.

Wishing there was more

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe team itself that I work with is awesome - everybody ropes in to meet deadlines and ensure that clients are satisfied.

ConsThe level of work that is okay w/ management is questionable at best. Management shows favouritism, and unfortunately, it's not as uncommon as it should be.

Every company has their good and bad, but management seems to like keeping costs down (by hiring one peg lower than the jobs required and in turn, have people doing more than what they are being paid for)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to take a good look at the frontline staff and what they go through on a daily basis. Everybody is all smiles when reporting happens to upper management, but that's now always how the leaves fall.

Solid Industry Leader, Needs Work With Own Culture

Director, Business Development (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsDecent pay, great downtown location, good benefit program, worthwile business, quality and fun people to work with.

ConsVery dollars focused and needs work improving work life balance for own employees Extremely corporate environment, gossipy staff, highly political, minimal training fund allocation, quite hierarchical. Although service levels for clients are exceptionally high, service levels internally are poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove integrity not for clients (that part is fine) but for employees. Make a conscious effort to create a solid corporate culture that dictates how people work with clients AND employees.

adequately satisfied employee provides review

Account Manager Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsAt shepell, they provide good benefits to their employees, such as full coverage of prescriptions, starting with three weeks of vacation per year, as well as flexible working hours, (our shifts are staggered from start times 8 am, 8:30 am, 9 am, 10 am to ending at 4 pm, 4:30 pm, 5 or 6 pm). We also have an internal EAP line that you can call to use counseling services whether it be for career counseling, family and relationships, addictions etc. We also have access to the work-life solutions program, and it's all entirely confidential. There are many departments so there is a variety of roles that you can apply for within our company.

ConsOne thing that I hear alot in our department and have heard rumors of others, is that the salaries or pay is not so good. Since I have been working there last year, I have also experienced that there is little partnership between departments. It is almost like each department works as a silo. So, this mentality can be frustrating. Especially if you are trying to obtain information from a colleague elsewhere in the company, many of our department find their emails and phone calls can go unanswered. Another downside, at least in our department, is the managerial staff seem to have little business training and credentials, which impacts day to day activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would ask of the Senior management to have improved 2 way communication to employees. Right now the web chats, while a good idea in theory are hard to follow, Perhaps they can also have better training of supervisors.

Worked for Shepell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Shepell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Shepell CEO Rod Phillips. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Shepell employees.