Shepell Reviews

Alan Torrie
1 Rating

1. CCR

I worked at Shepell

Pros

Team members, social events, evening shifts (works well for those going to school during the day)

Cons

Low pay, high turnover, less opportunities for growth within the company

2. manager

I worked at Shepell

Pros

great work environment and team

Cons

nothing i liked everything about my job

Director

I worked at Shepell full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, great people who are really committed to what they do, able to work with clients on really great initiatives to support their staff.

Cons

Extremely toxic and negative culture without any focus from Executive (they contribute to problem). HR is not involved in addressing any of these issues. There is very little empathy at Executive level for the intricacies involved in the day to day roles, company takes on way to much and trys to be everything to everyone with very little focus which means people are extremely overworked and have little direction.

Advice to Management

Overhaul Executive Team and stop blaming problems on systems.

5. Good Employer -- Unless you are on a work permit.

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shepell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of benefits and opportunities to make extra money and good job growth within the company. Office setting is nice and training program is very comprehensive with exams involved.

Cons

No benefits and job growth if you are on a work permit, regardless of your top performance.

Advice to Management

Simply equal pay for equal work.

Low morale, overworked employees who are significantly underpaid

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shepell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good benefits and pension plan for their employees and their employees' dependents; the company also offers generally flexible hours; certain departments have strong leaders who support their people

Cons

Low employee morale, high turnover among staff, highly stressful work environment, a lot of overtime expected and not rewarded or acknowledged, drastically underpaid salaries compared to competitors...

Advice to Management

Focus on learning and development opportunities for your staff. Also conduct an industry-wide survey on compensation levels and ensure your employees' salaries are on par with your competitors.

Not a positive working environment

I have been working at Shepell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the workload is not to challenging, you never bring any work home.

Cons

Not a positive working environment, pay is to low for the work that is being done. Huge gap of communication between front line workers and mangement

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line workers they have more insight on customer satisfaction than anyone else in the company. If the support staff isn't happy, then how can they provide proper service

8. Great work - developing workplace

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Shepell

Pros

The opportunity for career advancement is regionally focused. The pressures from clients are high and support is not consistent from department to department.

Cons

It's a great field to be in, you have high impact on corporate and individual clients. There's much to learn and the industry itself is still maturing.

Advice to Management

Stronger focus on internal customer service and development of staff talent. Become open minded about the talent that you actually have and be creative about how you use them.

9. Wishing there was more

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shepell

Pros

The team itself that I work with is awesome - everybody ropes in to meet deadlines and ensure that clients are satisfied.

Cons

The level of work that is okay w/ management is questionable at best. Management shows favouritism, and unfortunately, it's not as uncommon as it should be. Every company has their good and bad, but management seems to like keeping costs down (by hiring one peg lower than the jobs required and in turn, have people doing more than what they are being paid for)

Advice to Management

Need to take a good look at the frontline staff and what they go through on a daily basis. Everybody is all smiles when reporting happens to upper management, but that's now always how the leaves fall.

Solid Industry Leader, Needs Work With Own Culture

Former Employee - Director, Business Development in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director, Business Development in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Shepell

Pros

Decent pay, great downtown location, good benefit program, worthwile business, quality and fun people to work with.

Cons

Very dollars focused and needs work improving work life balance for own employees Extremely corporate environment, gossipy staff, highly political, minimal training fund allocation, quite hierarchical. Although service levels for clients are exceptionally high, service levels internally are poor.

Advice to Management

Improve integrity not for clients (that part is fine) but for employees. Make a conscious effort to create a solid corporate culture that dictates how people work with clients AND employees.

11. adequately satisfied employee provides review

Current Employee - Account Manager Coordinator in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager Coordinator in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Shepell

Pros

At shepell, they provide good benefits to their employees, such as full coverage of prescriptions, starting with three weeks of vacation per year, as well as flexible working hours, (our shifts are staggered from start times 8 am, 8:30 am, 9 am, 10 am to ending at 4 pm, 4:30 pm, 5 or 6 pm). We also have an internal EAP line that you can call to use counseling services whether it be for career counseling, family and relationships, addictions etc. We also have access to the work-life solutions program, and it's all entirely confidential. There are many departments so there is a variety of roles that you can apply for within our company.

Cons

One thing that I hear alot in our department and have heard rumors of others, is that the salaries or pay is not so good. Since I have been working there last year, I have also experienced that there is little partnership between departments. It is almost like each department works as a silo. So, this mentality can be frustrating. Especially if you are trying to obtain information from a colleague elsewhere in the company, many of our department find their emails and phone calls can go unanswered. Another downside, at least in our department, is the managerial staff seem to have little business training and credentials, which impacts day to day activities.

Advice to Management

I would ask of the Senior management to have improved 2 way communication to employees. Right now the web chats, while a good idea in theory are hard to follow, Perhaps they can also have better training of supervisors.

RSS Feed </> Embed