Sheppard Mullin

Updated July 13, 2014
Updated July 13, 2014
2.9

Guy N. Halgren

Great place to work and learn.

I worked at Sheppard Mullin

Pros

Comp package and work hours are excellent.

Cons

There is not much wrong with this place !

Staff professional development can be improved.

IT Management needs a Mentor

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has constant events that appreciate all employees. The view from the upper floors is great.

Cons

Network Manager is working to better himself, he just needs a good mentor. Donna, can be happy with you one day and mad at you the next. Her inconsistency makes the environment hard to understand. The medical benefits are paid for, except for many medication and that is where they get you. If a medication is costly (but Dr. says you need it), you will have to pay for the full amount as with many diabetic perceptions.
    You are very, very over worked , yet when you do put in the work you are accused of not valid overtime. Overtime became a big problem but they are growing faster then the IT and work/life balance is horrible.

Invest in your management and send them to leadership training. They are not inline with the team. People are constantly leaving the company because of management. The company is great at helping and building a happy environment, it is overshadowed by bad management actions and demeanor.

Small firm mentality struggles to fit BigLaw standing

Current Employee - Legal Support  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Support in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Firm administration loves cheap sweets, colas and carbs and they are generous with them. Close to commuter public transportation. Free jeans days. Business casual dress. Mostly paperfree.

Cons

Firm standards are low and questionable. Lack of diversity w/in high level legal support staff. Definite conflict of interest with C-level personal relationships and nepotistic outside hiring than internally promote. No management oversight. Support office is sub street level, dirty and poorly kept.

This once family friendly firm is now a high ranking, high earning AM 100 contender but it has lost a lot of heart and common sense along the way. Take a good look at the "poor man's version" of C-level management currently in place. If losing quality employees due to overwork, under support, no mentorship/growth program and reliance on automated systems is part of the master plan, you may as well ensure business processes are documented when you have few people around to help the left hand guide the right.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

I worked at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great culture for employees at all levels

Cons

no cons from the time I worked here.

Mixed Feelings; but overall good company.

I worked at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great bonuses.
    Extremely lawful on payroll.
    Beautiful offices.
    Great events.
    State of the Firm Address was always appreciated.

Cons

Little potential for growth.
    Poor office managers and office politics in some locations.
    Very little incentive to work hard each year when review was incredible (nearly perfect) and any salary increase either did not occur or was always a fight for a very bare minimum, like 1-3%.

Listen to your staff regarding issues with office managers and office politics and discuss issues with other staff members.

Great for attorneys/partners

Current Employee - N/A  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good holiday party. Occasional diversity/minority programs with snacks. Attorneys have nice office with city views. Recently remodeled office with free sodas and starbucks coffee.

Cons

Senior staff and attorneys have a lot more flexibility than non-exempt employees as far as working from home and picking up children. Little chance for career advancement

Do not let pre-judgement and perceptions cloud your viewing of an employee. Encourage career development and continued education so that the employee feels valued. I would like to see more team building or cross- department meetings, interactions to improve camaraderie.

nothing but insanely intellectual people who also have hobbies outside the office

I have been working at Sheppard Mullin

Pros

environment is friendly and progressive

Cons

none, its overall a great place!

Attorneys and administration staff nice to work with.

Former Employee - Legal Secretary  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Sheppard Mullin as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Relaxed and friendly atmosphere between staff and admin.

Cons

No formal training on office practices and procedures.

Have new secretaries trained by managers of specific departments (i.e. accounting, office services, filing, billing, etc. instead of a secretary who may not be impartial.

Terrible! Poorly structured and managed, bad communication, no care for their employees

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays market salary, decent benefits.

Cons

I've worked for three top large firms. Two in the top 20 and Sheppard Mullin being in the top 50 I believe. I adored working at the other two places (one of which I am still at), but working for SMRH was a terrible experience. I would have thought that all firms were the same, but they are not. SMRH lacks proper internal communication, it lacks proper management, it lacks proper training. People are often isolated and associates are often ignored. You don't feel like a team. While I was there (for about 1 year and a couple months) I saw about 2 associates quit and 4 get laid off. And that's of the people I know, I didn't know that many people! There's not a lot of good work and new revenue coming into SMRH, but they are constantly trying to give the appearance that there is and keep opening new offices (abroad and in the U.S.). This will come back to bite them in the butt if it hasn't already. I'm sure that's why they have continually had to let so many people go (to fund those offices, that are not even producing that much new work). Look elsewhere! Ps. They switched from a great health insurance provider to a crappy health insurance provider while I was there, too.

Would Not Waste Time

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sheppard Mullin full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company HR makes an effort to keep everyone happy with afternoon treats and small event. They are very welcoming to LGBT and all ethnic groups. They donate to many causes.

Cons

IT management yells and screams at people. You can hear arguments with employees all the time. The CIO does not know how to interact with anyone in that she is disconnected and only yells at people to get her point across. Lack of respect for all people new or old (in term of years worked), unless you are a favorite. She is nice at face value but not in IT nor in management. There are a few managers under her that do not know how to Management. Have not been to management school or leadership school, therefore what they learn is based on how they are treated from CIO. There is not mentor ship for any correction. IT has a hard time retaining employees. Last year alone there were 7 people that left of 20.

Go to Management school and learn how to understand your team. Lean how to lead, invest in those that are investing their life and commitment to a company. 80-95% People do not leave companies, they leave managers!!

Worked for Sheppard Mullin? Contribute to the Community!